Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Tanning cow hide

  • Luke Knowlton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
      Hugh,

      You might want to put them in contact with Steven Siegel. He is the
      proprietor of Siegel Leathers (formerly Siegel of California). He is
      semi-retired and living in NC but is still offering fine book binding
      leathers and specialty leathers and generally has his hand in the business.
      He would at least be a place to start. His emails are:
      siegel.leather@...
      sales@...

      Also for anyone on this list interested in veg tanned goatskin suitable for
      making folded stitched belts and bags from the Roman period, Siegel has a
      natural goatskin for $3.50sq ft for 2nd quality and $5 sq ft for first. It
      is excellent and supple and takes dye very well. I am working on a Roman
      military belt right now from this leather and will post pictures when it is
      done.

      Luke

      On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM, J.H. Grace <jh.grace@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Does anyone know anything about tanning cow hide, or of any small batch
      > tanneries in the Pittsburgh area?
      >
      > A friend of mine is raising West Highland cattle in a free-range natural
      > grazing manner and is thinking about selling tanned hides in addition to
      > (delicious) meat.
      >
      > TIA,
      >
      > Hugh
      >
      > --
      > They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do
      > anything!
      >
      > Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
      > Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/

    • J.H. Grace
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
        Great! Thanks very much.

        This is the guy I bought those steaks from at Pennsic last year.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
          Super! I feel like Steven Siegel is a font of information and could set him
          going in the right direction. There definitely is a market for hides raised
          in an organic/natural manner. So I think that farmer might be on to another
          good money maker.

          Luke

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
            He's also looking at selling their horns. Some of them have lovely great
            horns, so I need to see if I can put him in touch with people who can use
            raw horn.

            On 31 January 2013 10:21, Luke Knowlton <lukeknowlton@...> wrote:

            > Super! I feel like Steven Siegel is a font of information and could set him
            > going in the right direction. There definitely is a market for hides raised
            > in an organic/natural manner. So I think that farmer might be on to another
            > good money maker.
            >
            > Luke
            >
            > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM, J.H. Grace <jh.grace@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Great! Thanks very much.
            > >
            > > This is the guy I bought those steaks from at Pennsic last year.
            > >

            > > On 31 January 2013 10:14, Luke Knowlton lukeknowlton@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hugh,
            > > >
            > > > You might want to put them in contact with Steven Siegel. He is the
            > > > proprietor of Siegel Leathers (formerly Siegel of California). He is
            > > > semi-retired and living in NC but is still offering fine book binding
            > > > leathers and specialty leathers and generally has his hand in the
            > > business.
            > > > He would at least be a place to start. His emails are:
            > > > siegel.leather@...
            > > > sales@...
            > > >

            > > --
            > > They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do
            > > anything!
            > >
            > > Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
            > > Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/

            They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do
            anything!

            Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
            Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/

          • Marilyn Crowley
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
              >> contact mckruits meats in cabot pa he has a leather co. and full service (kill/and cut) butcher
              yis Kolfinna