Tanning cow hide

  • J.H. Grace
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
      Does anyone know anything about tanning cow hide, or of any small batch
      tanneries in the Pittsburgh area?

      A friend of mine is raising West Highland cattle in a free-range natural
      grazing manner and is thinking about selling tanned hides in addition to
      (delicious) meat.

      TIA,

      Hugh

      --
      They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do
      anything!

      Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
      Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/

    • Luke Knowlton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
        Hugh,

        You might want to put them in contact with Steven Siegel. He is the
        proprietor of Siegel Leathers (formerly Siegel of California). He is
        semi-retired and living in NC but is still offering fine book binding
        leathers and specialty leathers and generally has his hand in the business.
        He would at least be a place to start. His emails are:
        siegel.leather@...
        sales@...

        Also for anyone on this list interested in veg tanned goatskin suitable for
        making folded stitched belts and bags from the Roman period, Siegel has a
        natural goatskin for $3.50sq ft for 2nd quality and $5 sq ft for first. It
        is excellent and supple and takes dye very well. I am working on a Roman
        military belt right now from this leather and will post pictures when it is
        done.

        Luke

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
          Great! Thanks very much.

          This is the guy I bought those steaks from at Pennsic last year.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
            Super! I feel like Steven Siegel is a font of information and could set him
            going in the right direction. There definitely is a market for hides raised
            in an organic/natural manner. So I think that farmer might be on to another
            good money maker.

            Luke

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
              He's also looking at selling their horns. Some of them have lovely great
              horns, so I need to see if I can put him in touch with people who can use
              raw horn.

              On 31 January 2013 10:21, Luke Knowlton <lukeknowlton@...> wrote:

              > Super! I feel like Steven Siegel is a font of information and could set him
              > going in the right direction. There definitely is a market for hides raised
              > in an organic/natural manner. So I think that farmer might be on to another
              > good money maker.
              >
              > Luke
              >
              > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM, J.H. Grace <jh.grace@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Great! Thanks very much.
              > >
              > > This is the guy I bought those steaks from at Pennsic last year.
              > >

              > > On 31 January 2013 10:14, Luke Knowlton lukeknowlton@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hugh,
              > > >
              > > > You might want to put them in contact with Steven Siegel. He is the
              > > > proprietor of Siegel Leathers (formerly Siegel of California). He is
              > > > semi-retired and living in NC but is still offering fine book binding
              > > > leathers and specialty leathers and generally has his hand in the
              > > business.
              > > > He would at least be a place to start. His emails are:
              > > > siegel.leather@...
              > > > sales@...
              > > >

              > > --
              > > They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do
              > > anything!
              > >
              > > Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
              > > Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/

              They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do
              anything!

              Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
              Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/

            • Marilyn Crowley
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
                >> contact mckruits meats in cabot pa he has a leather co. and full service (kill/and cut) butcher
                yis Kolfinna