being selfish isn't all bad

  • blaidddwrg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
      my own personal challenge is to give away at least half of everything i complete...and i do...most of the time. let's face it, i put more work into two dozen arrows for myself than i do into half a dozen bow stringers and string keepers for other archers. and the embroidery on my new wool gown well, let's just say it would take more than a few outfits for wee archers to equal that number of stitches. i have to remind myself that it is not the size of the gift but the fact of the gift that should matter...and i personally don't need any more bow stringers or string keepers at least not for the time being. as soon as i work back up to the new 70 lb longbow in the work room, i'll being doing a little leather work for me. so here's to being a little selfish once in a while. i just can't help feeling a wee bit guilty.
      see you on the range
      moira
    • Jeri
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
        I understand! I go in cycles... I sew garb for 5 or 6 members of my household, as well as the occasional barter item. (The latter doesn't count as 'give away' though.) I'll go months where everything I do is for others, then I'll decide I need a new court gown or something, and I'll spend some time on my garb. And my stuff is almost always more elaborate and difficult than what I make for others. My A&S 50 list is about 2/3 projects for me, because that's where I push my skill and challenge level, and about 1/3 for others, where I'm researching new periods and cultures and constructing different types of garb entirely.

        I do need to get better about asking people to reimburse me for materials though. Linen and wool are expensive. :/

        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "blaidddwrg" wrote:

        > my own personal challenge is to give away at least half of everything i complete...and i do...most of the time. let's face it, i put more work into two dozen arrows for myself than i do into half a dozen bow stringers and string keepers for other archers. and the embroidery on my new wool gown well, let's just say it would take more than a few outfits for wee archers to equal that number of stitches. i have to remind myself that it is not the size of the gift but the fact of the gift that should matter...and i personally don't need any more bow stringers or string keepers at least not for the time being. as soon as i work back up to the new 70 lb longbow in the work room, i'll being doing a little leather work for me. so here's to being a little selfish once in a while. i just can't help feeling a wee bit guilty.
        > see you on the range
        > moira

      • blaidddwrg
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2013
          yea verily. i'm fortunate in that when i have money i buy supplies and when i have time i use them. i am now officially out of arrow shafts and my stock of linen is running low.
          change of topic. anyone who knows me knows i don't copy...hence my less than stellar performances in a & s competitions. they also know i really, really, really don't like split stitch. but this once i made an exception. at least 20 years ago, a dear friend gave me a pouch of linen with hern the huntsman and his hounds embroidered on it. i have treasured it because i know how much she detested doing small pieces. the pouch has become stained and the embroidery worn with use. i approached her for permission to copy the design and make a new pouch. she graciously granted her permission. i altered the design in only three places. i added a crescent moon for hern hunts by night. in the original hern is holding the bow and arrow wrong...i fixed that. make that four. instead of generic hounds i did my poor best to represent mungus the war dog (my friend sarangerel's service dog) and romeo the loud (my fox hound something or other). see it in moira me facit in photos.