Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] what are you up to?

  • geccoeert@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
      Greetings to all,

      It's great to hear what others have been doing.

      For myself, after most of the year sidetracked by mundane matters including prepping for a group shamisen recital in Japan, I am back to working on my challenges.

      For the Personna Challenge:
      So far in 2011 and 2012, I have completed the regular kimono work last summer with three Kamakura era kimono and two men's summer kimono. I. I have completed the 10 pieces of kumihimo already, as well as the shibori/tsujigahana. For the shamisen singing section: I have sung two nagauta (long songs) at 5 performances. Remaining to do: four pieces to add to my court garb, and convert five Seibara (Heian era court music) to shamisen bunkafu notation.

      In the Breadth/needlework challenge, I have completed the Turkish embroidery, and am working on the tatting. I have 6 tatted flowers (4 roses and two three-layer chrysanthemums) to go on pouches to donate as largess. Remaining: 4 more tatted pieces, plus 20 pieces of Nasca embroidery and Paracas needle-knitting.

      In November, I started another challenge: 50 Tanka poems. I have 18 completed.

      I'm actually farther along than I thought I was.

      Hope everyone has had a good holiday season and has a great 2013.

      YIS
      Miyamoto no Akikonomu.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
        On 7 Jan 2013, at 7:12 PM, geccoeert@... wrote:

        > For myself, after most of the year sidetracked by mundane matters including prepping for a group shamisen recital in Japan, I am back to working on my challenges…

        You have done so many SO COOL things! I'm impressed. I would love to see your performances in shamisen, Akikonomu-san.

        Please take care of me.
        D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Egg to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
        (Why "Egg?" Because it's even smaller than the smallest non-fledged Pelican)
        Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
        dvorah@...
        http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
        Twitter: @DvorahSCA
        Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

        If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
      • Heregyth Ketilsdottir
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
          I've been keeping a list posted on my wall with the 50-plus ideas I came up with for what to do for the persona challenge and some items have been marked off the list, but it keeps getting longer as more ideas occur to me for new things to try.

          Original ideas completed:
          Jorvik-style headcovering
          nalbinding: hat
          handsewn linen napkin
          handsewn linen pillowcase for my camping pillow

          learn a period game (Tablut and Glueckshaus)
          learn to spin wool
          learn some 10th-Century-England-appropriate embroidery stitches
          learn how to sew gloves
          make 10 persona-appropriate food/beverage items to bring on campouts (have done 5 so far)

          New ideas added and completed:
          bake in an outdoor oven
          learn a 10th-Century-England-appropriate script and use it in a court scroll
          learn to juggle
          make paint for illumination
          bake with sourdough starter as the only leavening
          make fruit cordial
          make sauerkraut
          learn to make temari (a Japanese embroidery art done on homemade thread-covered spheres)

          Coming up in the near future:
          learn intaglio etching/printing
          finish hand-sewing shoes
          nalbinding: socks
          build a chair or stool (in progress, not finished yet)
          plant an herb garden

          I also have made a lot of modern-style knitting projects and recipes in the past few years. My cooking blog, Hungry for Homemade, also includes my experiments with SCA-period cooking. Check the labels for "pre-1600 recipes" at http://hungry-for-homemade.blogspot.com/

          Best new year wishes to you all from the Middle Kingdom,
          Heregyð Ketilsdóttir

        • Ségnat ingen Fháeláin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
            I've been putzing around and not really recording what I've been working on
            for a breadth challenge so I decided to switch to working on my depth
            project in herbalism. It was one of my New Year's resolutions to get back
            in the swing of things. I am posting on my blog here:
            http://segnatssojourns.blogspot.com/ as I work on things.

            --
            Ségnat