50 Year displays? Drachenwald 20?

  • katherine kerr
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
      >Contessa Luciana di CarloCaid
      > Will there be some sort of shindig for the participants at 50Year?

      I know we're still a fair way off, but I'd be very interested in hearing about any plans for this.

      Er, just to check an assumption -- is 50 Year at Pennsic or is it being held somewhere else?
      If the latter, do we know the venue/dates for 50Y? And will there be an AS50 display at
      Pennsic in Year 50?

      Please excuse the ignorance, but I've never been to a mainland Kingdom event, and have
      only the vaguest idea of mainland SCA geography/event timings etc. What we'd like to do is
      to organise a schedule that lets us cram in as many decent-sized events as we can in a visit.
      (ie if we headed over for 6-8 weeks, say, what could be reasonably shoe-horned into that and
      where? I'm assuming Pennsic would be in there somewhere.)

      There have been murmurings here of organising some kind of Lochac bus trip for the 50th,
      but I don't know if that will come off at all. Any kind of heads-up regarding locations, dates etc
      for 50Y/AS50 things would be most welcome, specially given the logistics/costs involved in
      international travel.

      Am currently plotting to see if I can convince my lord that a planned trip next year to Iceland
      and Norway can be extended to getting to Drachenwald's 20 Year celebrations....(which
      means ditching the original intent of aurora-hunting, but we could see those here with a bit of
      luck and organisation). So anyone here from Drachenwald who knows what's happening in
      those parts round June-July next year?

      Cheers,
      katherine kerr

      =====================================
      katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
      Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
      mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
      printing, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
      Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.lochac.sca.org
    • J.H. Grace
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
        On 2 September 2012 21:48, katherine kerr <vicki@...> wrote:
        >>Contessa Luciana di CarloCaid
        >> Will there be some sort of shindig for the participants at 50Year?
        >
        > I know we're still a fair way off, but I'd be very interested in hearing about any plans for this.
        >
        > Er, just to check an assumption -- is 50 Year at Pennsic or is it being held somewhere else?
        > If the latter, do we know the venue/dates for 50Y? And will there be an AS50 display at
        > Pennsic in Year 50?

        To the best of my knowledge, we've not finalised plans for the 50th
        celebrations. It would be nice to have displays in every kingdom
        during that year.

        The official 50th Anniversary event is happening in the MidRealm, I'm
        certain that we'll have a display there.

        I'm planning on there being a display at Pennsic in AS50 (regardless
        of what number Pennsic that is).

        Hugh

        --
        They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do anything!

        Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
        Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/
      • Berdanier
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
          Greetings from the Midrealm A&S 50 Coordinator, Baroness Cathryn of Chester, Yes, we will be having an A&S 50 Exhibition at the Society 50 Year celebration. Please note that this is one year after Albreda's cut off date for the Challenge. In the intervening year, we as Midrealmers will be hosting regional displays with the help of the regional coordinators because as much as we would like everybody to come to 50 Year, we are aware that not everybody can travel that far and we want to reach as many people as we can with our displays. Not only for the participants but for the populace to get to see them! I am in contact with the Stewards for the SCA 50 Year and will get back to you on more specifics later but I understand from previous discussions that space will not be an issue. Pre-registrations will be involved however!!! I do hope that we can have all the Kingdoms represented at 50 Year! See https://www.facebook.com/Sca50YearCelebration for more details. Dates are June 17-27, 2016. I am not aware of other celebrations of the occasion but I would like to encourage any displays and especially at the Major Wars including Pennsic. I would be happy to work on a team that has this as a goal.
          Regards,CathrynTo: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
          From: jh.grace@...
          Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 21:52:53 -0400
          Subject: Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] 50 Year displays? Drachenwald 20?

          On 2 September 2012 21:48, katherine kerr <vicki@...> wrote:

          >>Contessa Luciana di CarloCaid

          >> Will there be some sort of shindig for the participants at 50Year?

          > I know we're still a fair way off, but I'd be very interested in hearing about any plans for this.

          > Er, just to check an assumption -- is 50 Year at Pennsic or is it being held somewhere else?

          > If the latter, do we know the venue/dates for 50Y? And will there be an AS50 display at

          > Pennsic in Year 50?

          To the best of my knowledge, we've not finalised plans for the 50th

          celebrations. It would be nice to have displays in every kingdom

          during that year.

          The official 50th Anniversary event is happening in the MidRealm, I'm

          certain that we'll have a display there.

          I'm planning on there being a display at Pennsic in AS50 (regardless

          of what number Pennsic that is).

          Hugh

          --

          They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do anything!

          Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/

          Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/

        • Susan
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
            Yup! Plans for Pennsic in AS50, plans for the big maxilla in the Mid, plans for the East Kingdom in AS50, maybe even plans for me personally to come to Lochac in AS50 to celebrate with folks there.

            Plenty of time to plot!

            Enjoy!
            Albreda

            On Sep 2, 2012, at 9:52 PM, "J.H. Grace" <jh.grace@...> wrote:

            > On 2 September 2012 21:48, katherine kerr <vicki@...> wrote:
            > >>Contessa Luciana di CarloCaid
            > >> Will there be some sort of shindig for the participants at 50Year?
            > >
            > > I know we're still a fair way off, but I'd be very interested in hearing about any plans for this.
            > >
            > > Er, just to check an assumption -- is 50 Year at Pennsic or is it being held somewhere else?
            > > If the latter, do we know the venue/dates for 50Y? And will there be an AS50 display at
            > > Pennsic in Year 50?
            > >
            > To the best of my knowledge, we've not finalised plans for the 50th
            > celebrations. It would be nice to have displays in every kingdom
            > during that year.
            >
            > The official 50th Anniversary event is happening in the MidRealm, I'm
            > certain that we'll have a display there.
            >
            > I'm planning on there being a display at Pennsic in AS50 (regardless
            > of what number Pennsic that is).
            >
            > Hugh
            >
            > --
            > They told me to "get a life". So I got one. Now I have no time to do anything!
            >
            > Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
            > Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/

          • Adam MacDonald
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
              Gunaydin!

              The SCA BOD Announcements listserv announced last week that the Middle won
              the bid, and some details have been released on the Facebook group
              ( https://www.facebook.com/Sca50YearCelebration )

              "It is currently scheduled for June 17-27 2016 in Danville, IN at the
              Hendricks County Fairground: http://www.4hcomplex.org/ Check the link for
              additional pictures of the site.

              "Set up is intended to be the first Saturday, and those still on site Sunday
              will be pressed into service for clean up."

              Gürcü Iskender (Sasha)
              Calafia, Caid
            • Ted Eisenstein
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
                >Er, just to check an assumption -- is 50 Year at Pennsic or is it
                being held
                >somewhere else? If the latter, do we know the venue/dates for 50Y?
                Mostly officially, it's being held in the Barony of Sternfeld,
                Indianapolis, Indiana.
                The nearest really huge airport would be, I believe, Chicago;
                Indianapolis does have
                a good-sized airport, but I don't know if you get there there from where
                you are
                without plane changes.

                >but I've never been to a mainland Kingdom event, and have only the
                vaguest
                >idea of mainland SCA geography/event timings etc.
                Get yourself a good, large paper map, and use it in conjuction with
                http://www.sca.org/geography/
                which has all the kingdoms listed, toegether with which US states belong to
                which kingdoms, except for Lochac, which as you know doesn't have any
                US states at all.
                Event timings? Pennsic you know of, but it's been shifted from its
                traditional
                ends-the-third-full-weekend-in-August period up a bit, and won't be entirely
                consistent for the next year or two or three.
                There are also other major wars, which I'm sure the rest of this list
                can help
                you with - Lilies in June in Calontir, Gulf Wars in Glenn Abheann, Estrella
                in Atenveldt in, errr, February? March? April? (that's another one with
                a shifted date)....
                I feel reasonably sure that it would help us if you could tell us when you'd
                like to come up, so we can fit our events to your schedule, rather than the
                other way around.

                >What we'd like to do is to organise a schedule that lets us cram in as
                many
                >decent-sized events as we can in a visit.
                Define "decent-sized"? 100? 300? A couple of thousand? Bigger than Rowany?
                Bigger than Canterbury Faire? Seven people, a table, and enough beer to
                drown an elephant? A three-day weekend? A week?

                And you might want to consider confining yourselves to a portion of the US
                - remember, we're the size of Australia, with a lot more people, too, and
                a lot less desert in the middle. (Read: as much land as, and quite a bit
                more
                spread out population.) Doing the whole schmeer as a "bus trip" is an
                interesting idea, if you have three or four months, a huge bus, a winning
                lottery ticket, no children, and a crazed driver.

                Alban, who can't believe he just compared the US to Australia, rather than
                the other way around.

                (.....errrr, compared land mass and population density, that is, no other
                comparisons intended. Anyone want to help me get my foot out of my
                mouth?)
              • celticdragon38
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2012
                  I'm actually also interested in the summer 2013 Drachenwald goings-on. I'll be traveling through Western Europe for research and I always enjoy hanging out with the local groups as I pass through on trips like this.
                  -Aritê

                  > Am currently plotting to see if I can convince my lord that a planned trip next year to Iceland
                  > and Norway can be extended to getting to Drachenwald's 20 Year celebrations....(which
                  > means ditching the original intent of aurora-hunting, but we could see those here with a bit of
                  > luck and organisation). So anyone here from Drachenwald who knows what's happening in
                  > those parts round June-July next year?
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > katherine kerr
                  >
                  > =====================================
                  > katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
                  > Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
                  > mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
                  > printing, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
                  > Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.lochac.sca.org

                • northernotter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3, 2012
                    Greetings!

                    Feel free to contact me if you are headed to Northern Norway! :)

                    Til tjeneste
                    Þora Sumarlđadóttir