Ideas for kids

  • agnestheartist
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
      I just joined SCA after thinking about it and not doing it for quite a while. I"m jumping right in here by starting the A&S50 breadth challenge.
      My 8 year old daughter wants to join in too. What are some ideas of kid sized projects? She says she wants to learn art and cooking.
    • Jeff Johnston
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
        I am of the personal belief that there is very little we do in the SCA that is inappropriate for children. My daughter loves partaking in SCA A&S projects, she's ten. Naturally finishing the projects is always the trick for her, but she does love to learn. My daughter's current project is to make a hat type thing (can never remember what its called) as part of her goal towards making her own garb.

        Lord Cú Allaidh Dona
        mka Jeff Johnston
        Founder of the Trinovantia Nova Merpegacorn stoolball team
        Researcher of Sports and Leisure
        Mazer (maker of mead)
        Dabbler in the Textile Arts (and anything else that interests me and/or is shiny)
        Member of the Bookbinders Guild of Ealdormere
        Crewmember of the Good Ship Crimson Star
        Partner in The Wyvern and Monkey General Merchantile

        The Mead Hall:
        http://mead.lilleypress.com

        Medieval Sports and Leisure:
        http://sports.lilleypress.com

        some articles that I have written online:
        http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/TheMeadMan

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
          What about period games? I have a ton of research I have collected for the
          kids I hang with. They love gambling from knuckle bones to card games.

          She can make 50 period games. Some she would need to paint, some she would
          need to sew, some she would need to collect stuff. Plus she could then
          teach her friends and can have fun playing them at events.

          Let me know if you want me to send you over information.

          --
          Baroness Verena Entenwirth
          www.broomstich.com

        • Dianne Stucki
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012

            <creativelizzie@...> wrote:

            I just joined SCA after thinking about it and not doing it for quite a while. I"m jumping right in here by starting the A&S50 breadth challenge.
            My 8 year old daughter wants to join in too. What are some ideas of kid sized projects? She says she wants to learn art and cooking.

            First of all, welcome to you and your family!

            I'd suggest getting one or two books of medieval recipes (i.e. Take A Thousand Eggs or More) and some basic calligraphy/illumination supplies. She can start with the simpler recipes, and and learn to do one or two calligraphy styles, then progress to illumination.

            Laurensa

          • Jeff Johnston

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
                Welcome!
                I'll offer up my favorite: period kites!

                Archer McRobert
                Barony of Small Grey Bear
                Kingdom of Gleann Abhann
                (the kite guy)

                To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
                From: creativelizzie@...
                Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:20:57 +0000

                I just joined SCA after thinking about it and not doing it for quite a while. I"m jumping right in here by starting the A&S50 breadth challenge.

                My 8 year old daughter wants to join in too. What are some ideas of kid sized projects? She says she wants to learn art and cooking.

              • Chiara
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
                  At a recent crown event one of our Laurels was walking around with the
                  tiniest kite I had ever seen! She was flying it behind her as she walked and
                  had it attached to a spool of thread that was larger than the kite.
                  Adorable!!

                  I agree, period kites would be wonderful to do.

                  If they go with sewing I have a mitten pattern that a fellow glover and I
                  created to teach a class to little ones. Never have I seen so many kiddos so
                  focus on making something that involved sewing. :)

                  Chiara Francesca
                  "This gown needs more purfurling!"

                  From: creativelizzie@...
                  Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:20:57 +0000

                  I just joined SCA after thinking about it and not doing it for quite a
                  while. I"m jumping right in here by starting the A&S50 breadth challenge.

                  My 8 year old daughter wants to join in too. What are some ideas of kid
                  sized projects? She says she wants to learn art and cooking.

                • Jacintha of Highland Foorde
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
                    I just did a weaving project with kids. We dyed wool yarn in koolaid. And
                    then used the dyed fiber in a little mat. One young lady even finished and
                    did another one on her own. I love to feed a fiber addiction.
                    Jacintha

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
                      I'd love to hear more on your laurel and a means of contacting her.

                      Archer
                      (the kite guy)

                      At a recent crown event one of our Laurels was walking around with the

                      tiniest kite I had ever seen! She was flying it behind her as she walked and

                      had it attached to a spool of thread that was larger than the kite.

                      Adorable!!

                      I agree, period kites would be wonderful to do.

                      If they go with sewing I have a mitten pattern that a fellow glover and I

                      created to teach a class to little ones. Never have I seen so many kiddos so

                      focus on making something that involved sewing. :)

                      Chiara Francesca

                      "This gown needs more purfurling!"

                    • Dorrane.bernard
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
                        Along the art line that would be fun for a lady her age are scroll blanks that she can paint in herself.  Google "SCA scroll  blanks" and you should find some sites that have images you can print out.  Are there specific arts that she is interested in?  There are period versions of almost all.

                        Period cooking would be fun for her too.  There are lots of period recipes for reference.  Cooking on a fire might be a bit iffy at her age bit when she gets older she may enjoy learning about how a medieval kitchen was run.

                        Cerridwen

                        Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note™, an AT&T LTE smartphonenull

                      • Andrea AskenDunn
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
                          Embroidery is a good, artistic pastime that many 8 year olds are successful
                          with. It isn't the same as illumination, obviously, although there are
                          times that they overlap. And it is something you can work on during long,
                          boring car rides (or long, boring courts), and have a beautiful product in
                          the end. Stem stitch and chain stitch are good ones to start with.

                          As for cooking, she could try different recipes (with your help,
                          obviously), and compile her favorites in a little cookbook, which she could
                          illustrate! Oh, I wish my daughter were little again!

                          Asther de Perpinya

                          On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Dorrane.bernard
                          <dorrane.bernard@...>wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Along the art line that would be fun for a lady her age are scroll blanks
                          > that she can paint in herself. Google "SCA scroll blanks" and you should
                          > find some sites that have images you can print out. Are there specific
                          > arts that she is interested in? There are period versions of almost all.
                          >
                          > Period cooking would be fun for her too. There are lots of period recipes
                          > for reference. Cooking on a fire might be a bit iffy at her age bit when
                          > she gets older she may enjoy learning about how a medieval kitchen was run.
                          >
                          > Cerridwen
                          >
                          > Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note�, an AT&T LTE smartphonenull

                        • Elewyiss SCA
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
                            I love the cookbook idea! SCA recipes for children. We should make one.

                            Elewyiss

                            On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Andrea AskenDunn <askendunn@...>wrote:

                            > Embroidery is a good, artistic pastime that many 8 year olds are successful
                            > with. It isn't the same as illumination, obviously, although there are
                            > times that they overlap. And it is something you can work on during long,
                            > boring car rides (or long, boring courts), and have a beautiful product in
                            > the end. Stem stitch and chain stitch are good ones to start with.
                            >
                            > As for cooking, she could try different recipes (with your help,
                            > obviously), and compile her favorites in a little cookbook, which she could
                            > illustrate! Oh, I wish my daughter were little again!
                            >
                            > Asther de Perpinya
                            >

                            > On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Dorrane.bernard
                            > <dorrane.bernard@...>wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > Along the art line that would be fun for a lady her age are scroll blanks
                            > > that she can paint in herself. Google "SCA scroll blanks" and you
                            > should
                            > > find some sites that have images you can print out. Are there specific
                            > > arts that she is interested in? There are period versions of almost all.
                            > >
                            > > Period cooking would be fun for her too. There are lots of period
                            > recipes
                            > > for reference. Cooking on a fire might be a bit iffy at her age bit when
                            > > she gets older she may enjoy learning about how a medieval kitchen was
                            > run.
                            > >
                            > > Cerridwen
                            > >
                            > > Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note�, an AT&T LTE smartphonenull

                            Ro'ah Chatulim

                          • Heregyth Ketilsdottir
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
                              At a recent shire A&S night, we had a six-year-old helping with prepping ingredients for two dishes we cooked. She wasn't doing the whole recipe herself from beginning to end, but was really helpful. With help in learning some kitchen techniques, perhaps an eight-year-old could make foods using 50 different period recipes.
                              Heregyð Ketilsdóttir

                            • agnestheartist
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 1, 2012
                                Wow, what great ideas! I didn't think of doing games but she would probably love that too. You have given me so many resources to check out- now I know where to start digging!