A new person for the New Year

  • Eleanor of Leycestershyre
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
      Happy New Year everyone and greetings,

      Mundanely, I am an aerospace procurement agent, called Gina. In the
      SCA I am known as Dame Eleanor of Leycestershyre, in the Barony of
      Dragonslaire, Kingdom of An Tir, which puts me in the beautiful
      Pacific NW.

      Dame Eleanor is a 16th century English noblewoman from the Midlands,
      who divides her time between the glittering court of Elizabeth I (by
      Grace of God, Queen of England, Ireland, Wales, etc, etc, etc...) and
      her own manor lands in Leycestershyre and elsewhere.

      My interests primarily involve Elizabethan costuming, roughly 1570 to
      1590, although I have a secondary persona as a 10th century
      Norsewoman by the name of Ingeborg, which reflects my Scandanavian
      heritage.

      My pursuits and interests run the gamut from hats, gloves, ruffs, and
      various accessories, to spinning (drop spindle and wheel), weaving,
      natural dyes, embroidery, vintning, period foods, and archery.

      I have just posted a couple of photos in the "Photos" section of my
      first effort for the 50/50...a scarlet-worke coif. I have not
      determined exactly in which direction I am headed with the challenge,
      and have several projects in mind, and in hand. One of them involves
      recreating a warp-weighted loom and period Norse textiles, as well as
      several late period pieces.

      Currently, I am in the process of building a website where I will
      have more photos and detailed information on the projects. I hope to
      launch the webpage within a couple of weeks at latest.

      I am delighted to be here, and I hope to get a few more involved, and
      will see if I can get them to sign onto the list as well. So, hello
      everyone! *waves* Hi Knut! :)

      All best,
      Dame Eleanor
    • Barbara
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
        I entered my first A&S competition at our Baronial Yule celebration.
        This was the 1-year anniversary of my first SCA event. It was the 2nd
        leg of the Baronial Luminary competition. I displayed my bobbin lace and
        my Tenneriffe lace (I'm a beginner and didn't have anything documentable
        in period) next to some pages of Le Pompe 1559 showing spiders and fans
        (in my samples I had spiders and fans).

        I entered a performance on harp of Cantiga #338 of the Cantigas de Santa
        Maria of Alfonso X el Sabio. I had the usual performance fumble fingers,
        even though it is a fairly simple piece. Out of 4 entries, I took 3rd,
        so I am pretty happy about that.

        I plan to enter a performance piece at the 3rd leg of the competition,
        maybe on fiddle this time - The Scottish Huntsupe. I also have a coral
        paternoster that I am thinking of entering.

        This is my start on my 50 entries in A&S exhibitions/competitions. I
        hope to enter something as often as I can.
        Barbeta of Bergental
      • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
          Wonderful start for a new kid on the block!  Excellent!

          Chagan
          Bright Hills
          Atlantia

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
            Excellent! Congratulations on your journey and your
            anniversary of SCA participation!

            Martelle,
            Bright Hills

            Visit my personal website-
            http://www.freewebs.com/martelvonc/index.htm

            or my blog-
            http://martelvonc.livejournal.com/
          • bippimalin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
              Sounds great to hear about your first A&S submission.
              I'm also participating for the first time this comming saturday. :)

              My submission is also the first of my A&S 50 challenge so it's a bit
              extra special to me. The documentation is available at my Live Journal
              if someone would like to have a look:
              http://bippimalin.livejournal.com/93946.html
              I've been meaning to dye this for so long, I've been horribly busy,
              but finally the silk is in the dyebath! Not a minute too soon since
              we're leaving for the event tomorrow. Yikes. :)

              Best regards,
              Malin
            • Barbara
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
                I checked out your LJ and the process looks interesting. Good Luck tomorrow.
                Barbeta

                > Sounds great to hear about your first A&S submission.
                > I'm also participating for the first time this comming saturday. :)
                >
                > My submission is also the first of my A&S 50 challenge so it's a bit
                > extra special to me. The documentation is available at my Live Journal
                > if someone would like to have a look:
                > http://bippimalin.livejournal.com/93946.html
                > I've been meaning to dye this for so long, I've been horribly busy,
                > but finally the silk is in the dyebath! Not a minute too soon since
                > we're leaving for the event tomorrow. Yikes. :)
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Malin

              • Albreda Aylese
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
                  Happy New Year!

                  I want to apologize for both not being here, and for the LONG delay
                  some folks had in joining our group over the holidays. My loveing
                  husband and parents got me a new computer system as a present, my
                  internet died, and I couldn't transfer data etc to get back online
                  here until just now. My husband doesn't understand why I couldn't
                  get into Yahoo to approve folks to the group and neither do I, but
                  we're all here now, so hopfully that is the important part.

                  I am really excited by our newcomers (Welcome!) and by what you all
                  have been accomplishing! Wow! A&S entries, websites, photo
                  galleries - oh my! ;) It will take me a bit to look at everything,
                  but you have already inspired me to get cracking, so thank you!

                  Buried somewhere deep in my old system are the details, but someone
                  on this list was running an A&S 50 Session at her Twelfth Night this
                  past weekend... any report to share? If this went off as planned
                  this may have been the first official A&S 50 Session held outside of
                  the East Kingdom by someone other than me! Hurray! Anyone
                  interested in running a session can find details on how that works in
                  our files section on our Yahoo group page, or on our website (or you
                  can just ask me!) The more the merrier!

                  On the technical progress front, my husband had the brilliant idea of
                  asking a dear friend if we could coopt his forum code for A&S 50
                  purposes. I didn't want to bug him about it before the holidays, but
                  I will get on that soon, and hopefully he'll be his normal,
                  accommodating self, and say yes!

                  In more personal news, I just delivered a pack of Albreda Butt-
                  Lighting matches to an aspiring scribe here in my shire, giving her
                  permission to light a fire under me to invite her over for a day of
                  gouache-laden insanity. I need to tidy the studio first, so it won't
                  be until February, but at least now I have incentive! I am going to
                  have a VERY busy year, but I AM going to do some A&S of my own, darn
                  it!

                  What are your goals for the year? How can we help? With all of the
                  brains and interests we have represented here, I'm sure that we can
                  be a really good resource for each other, so ask away!

                  For example - anyone have a recommendation as to where I can order
                  linen sewing thread, suitable for handsewing 5 oz linen shifts?

                  I hope your holidays were grand, and that we are each off to a good
                  start on 2008!

                  Best wishes -
                  Albreda, happy to be back in the land of the connected!!!