My A&S project...(a big brag, delete if you don't care!)

  • fastusminimus
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
      So I did/am still working on a special A&S project. To breed, raise,
      train and compete in open competition with a whippet.
      Whippets are trad. a rag dog, bred to chase a rag as their primary
      skill. Other tasks were taking hares and knocking off rats in a pit.
      Rag racing is the only sport available to us on the East Coast.
      Starting with our homebed, Rosie (Nationally/Ch pointed on both the
      straight and Uval tracks), bred to Voltaire (a finished Uval champion
      and pointed on the straight track), we had a litter of 9, we kept 3
      pups.
      Today, after some hot hot hot racing, Gibbs got the high Ch points
      (3) and his bro, Sting (lives with Voltaire) got the low point.
      This makes 3 generations of whippets we bred, raised and trained to
      get Ch points on the track, plus others that went to live with other
      people that also are pointed or finished their Ch titles.
      Oh what happens to them when their racing career has tailed off (as
      they age they get to run fewer races in a day)?
      They retire to the living room, and complain bitterly when they are
      left at home...because they run regularly, their hearts tend to be
      very strong and they tend to live to be in their high teens and can
      curmudgeon with the best.
      <G> I'm just so proud of the boys, and their sister Bravura, who was
      just out of the points yesterday. A good weekend for Team Indigo!
      Ta
      Carol AKA Lady Cele

      Of the craftsmen it may be said that in the handiwork of their craft
      is their prayer.

    • geccoeert@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
        Congratulations, Lady Cele.

        Whippets are beautiful, graceful dogs.

        I'm a sheltie Mom, myself, but I have been known to drool over greyhounds, whippets, and Italian greyhounds.

        Its really nice to see dog owners integrating their period breeds into the SCA.

        Miyamoto Akikonomu

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
          I am very much looking forward to following your progress - Thank you for
          sharing this!!!
          Deirdre

          On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM, fastusminimus <cahuff@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > So I did/am still working on a special A&S project. To breed, raise,
          > train and compete in open competition with a whippet.
          > Whippets are trad. a rag dog, bred to chase a rag as their primary
          > skill. Other tasks were taking hares and knocking off rats in a pit.
          > Rag racing is the only sport available to us on the East Coast.
          > Starting with our homebed, Rosie (Nationally/Ch pointed on both the
          > straight and Uval tracks), bred to Voltaire (a finished Uval champion
          > and pointed on the straight track), we had a litter of 9, we kept 3
          > pups.
          > Today, after some hot hot hot racing, Gibbs got the high Ch points
          > (3) and his bro, Sting (lives with Voltaire) got the low point.
          > This makes 3 generations of whippets we bred, raised and trained to
          > get Ch points on the track, plus others that went to live with other
          > people that also are pointed or finished their Ch titles.
          > Oh what happens to them when their racing career has tailed off (as
          > they age they get to run fewer races in a day)?
          > They retire to the living room, and complain bitterly when they are
          > left at home...because they run regularly, their hearts tend to be
          > very strong and they tend to live to be in their high teens and can
          > curmudgeon with the best.
          > <G> I'm just so proud of the boys, and their sister Bravura, who was
          > just out of the points yesterday. A good weekend for Team Indigo!
          > Ta
          > Carol AKA Lady Cele
          >
          > Of the craftsmen it may be said that in the handiwork of their craft
          > is their prayer.

          Its ALL about the Purple~

        • fastusminimus
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
            > Congratulations, Lady Cele.
            >
            > Whippets are beautiful, graceful dogs.
            >
            > I'm a sheltie Mom, myself, but I have been known to drool over
            > greyhounds, whippets, and Italian greyhounds.
            >
            > Its really nice to see dog owners integrating their period breeds
            > into the SCA.
            >
            > Miyamoto Akikonomu
            Thanks for all the kind thoughts.
            I would love to bring more dogs to SCA events, but the dogs are
            frequently not allowed at events. That being said, I cherish the ones
            we can bring them to and especially the ones with enough room to lay
            out a safe course...

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
              I am very interested in the technicalities of coursing... would you be
              willing to email me off list so I can ask you a whole bunch of questions??

              Deirdre

              On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:34 AM, fastusminimus <cahuff@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > > Congratulations, Lady Cele.
              > >
              > > Whippets are beautiful, graceful dogs.
              > >
              > > I'm a sheltie Mom, myself, but I have been known to drool over
              > > greyhounds, whippets, and Italian greyhounds.
              > >
              > > Its really nice to see dog owners integrating their period breeds
              > > into the SCA.
              > >
              > > Miyamoto Akikonomu
              > Thanks for all the kind thoughts.
              > I would love to bring more dogs to SCA events, but the dogs are
              > frequently not allowed at events. That being said, I cherish the ones
              > we can bring them to and especially the ones with enough room to lay
              > out a safe course...
              >
              > Ta
              > Carol AKA Lady Cele
              >
              > Of the craftsmen it may be said that in the handiwork of their craft
              > is their prayer.

              Its ALL about the Purple~

            • Diane
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
                Congrats on doing well with your whippets, it must be great seeing a dog working in medieval style at events.

                Medieval dog breeds are interesting. I believe the Sulke (spelling?) may have been part of the breed history of greyhounds/whippets??? Do you have a breed "family tree"??
                We had beagles. I do miss the little white tails wandering around in long grass, wagging happily as their noses ran away with them. They are probably a bit later than SCA timeline in their current form. The Harrier hound was hunted from horse, the beagle was hunted on foot and once there was a smaller version called the pocket beagle which was carried on the horse and then sent down burrows once an animal was run to ground. I think they would go really well today and (IMHO) would be much cuter than chihuahuas as lapdogs! If I had space and time it would be a real project to re-breed them.

                Are there any other candidates for "recovering"??
                Are there any other breed that could reasonably be shown working in medieval context? (animal welfare obviously dictates some occupations are well out of the question).

                Claricia

              • lilinah@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
                  Claricia wrote:
                  > Medieval dog breeds are interesting. I believe the Sulke (spelling?) may have been part of the breed
                  > history of greyhounds/whippets??? Do you have a breed "family tree"??

                  I believe you are talking about the Saluki. The Saluki has been called "The Royal Dog of Egypt", "Gazelle hound", and "Persian greyhound". It is a sight hound with a shape similar to a greyhound, but feathery hair, and they are sometimes also used as racing/coursing dogs, being able to run at high speed longer than a greyhound. It is one of the oldest known breeds of domesticated dog. There are images of what look like Salukis in Sumerian archaeological sites dating to 6,000 BCE. It is believed that it traveled from there (in Mesopotamian Iraq) west to Pharaonic Egypt, appearing in Pharaoh's tombs in 2100 BCE. The Saluki also was taken east into the Persian Empire and to China by the 14th century CE.

                  They are not really related to greyhounds, but it is possible that in the very distant past greyhounds, whippets, Salukis, and Afghan hounds may have had a common ancestor.

                  Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                  the persona formerly known as Anahita
                • Ealhswith Of Skye
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
                    I have an afghan and absolutely love watching him run. He leaps and bounds
                    like he would hunting in the mountains. I even worked how i aquired him
                    into my persona since during period only Egyptian royalty could own them.
                    Will be getting back into my other period (albeit late period) breed, the
                    english bulldog as soon as my female comes in heat. I miss my bulldog
                    puppies.

                    Ealhswith of Skye