Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] blogs/genealogy

  • Star Maddox
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
      Also, off-site backups of important research, scans, etc. can save your bacon. I recently lost a bunch of photos and files to a hard drive crash. Folks suffer burglaries, floods, tornados, lightning strikes, technical failures, and house fires. It's too easy to loose too many years of work. I'm putting in place a system where we have a pair of external hard drives that get swapped between our house and trusted friends on the other side of town. You can put some simple encryption on it if you're concerned about possible exposure of your data if the other house is burgled.

      Sorry - it's not SCA-specific, but with as cheap as large-capacity hard drives are now, it's an easy solution. Data recovery from a failed hard drive starts at $400 and goes up into the thousands of dollars (I recently had to look into this, and contacted 9 different places), without a guarantee that they'll get everything, and that's if the drive itself isn't lost or destroyed. It's the kind of thing you don't think about until you discover that something has gone missing or suffered a catastrophic failure, and then you're left with a cloud of I-wish-I-had hanging over your head. Learn from my fail and spare yourself the trouble.

      --
      Star Maddox
      star.maddox@...

    • Ben Paton
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
        On the topic of data back up. I have been using Dropbox. It sits on my
        desktop and backs up everthing as I work on, it also is on my laptop and
        tablet so I share the files across every device I own. Every so often I
        copy the foulder to my external hard drive and every few months I back up
        my harddrive and give it to my mum. On my next trip home I will be
        installing Dropbox on my mums computer so she gets a copy of my file on her
        computer every time she connects.

        Rurik

      • Luke Knowlton
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
          At the risk of sounding like a commercial...

          We use Carbonite (www.carbonite.com) for our computer backup. Everything is
          backed up to the cloud so even if your machine is trashed or stolen you can
          just download your data again. It also is nice to have when you get a new
          machine, you can just download all your files and you are running again
          quickly.

          Luke

        • Luke Knowlton
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2012
            Greetings Katherine,

            On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM, katherine kerr <vicki@...>wrote:

            > I've enjoyed reading what you've done so far, Luke, and have found it
            > inspirational (another

            good reason to make stuff available online! :-). I do know what you mean
            > about the
            >
            > research/writing problem -- it can certainly be a bit daunting.

            Thank you for your kind words! I plan to continue to publish online as I
            write more. I do want to get back to it but I have found that when I'm in
            the midst of writing a portion, any craft work falls by the wayside as a
            result because of the huge amount of research required.

            > I've made starts on both a general diary as well as a Book of My Life
            > based on Cardano's
            > example, but found I was inserting more [need more research here] notes
            > than actual text!

            That's what I found as well. You just have to have the citations and
            explanatory material otherwise some entries are unintelligible.

            > Oddly enough, since starting on the persona challenge, I've developed a
            > much better
            > understanding of my persona father's bio, than my own!

            I know exactly what you mean! I feel like I have had to do the same sort of
            genealogical research into Luke's family as I have into my mundane family
            to begin to understand what forces are driving what he does. I do a lot of
            thinking about kinship connections and I'm sure his entree to the world of
            the court is through his mother and her cousins the Cooke sisters. I have a
            book which I need to read about the women of Elizabeth's court which should
            shed some more light on this subject.

            > > All that said tho, a number of log jams have recently broken and i have a
            > > new project on the horizon which is like to usher in a productive period.
            >
            > Woohoo!

            More will be revealed, next week, hopefully!

            Best,

            Luke

            > Cheers,
            > katherine
            > =====================================
            > katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
            > Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
            > mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
            > printing, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
            > Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.lochac.sca.org

          • Susan
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2012
              I love the different approaches we take to persona work: while I don't work in a specific time (although I do have several that I adore, namely the time of Alfred the Great), I DO have a place where all of my work is based - a plot of land in Wiltshire, UK, where my family has lived for several generations, and where, as I know from my mother's genealogical research, I have family going back about seven hundred years within the local area. Ergo, much of my persona work revolves around maps, deeds, cultural land use traditions, reports of droughts and rough winters, and material culture reports.

              Either way, research, research, and more research, and with three kids to clothe for Pennsic, I simply don't have time for it, but I certainly enjoy it when I do!

              I look forward to seeing the new updates you are teasing us with, Luke. :)

              Albreda, still sewing