Re: of perfection

  • Jessica Camp
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      YES.

      There's a very cool Sarmatian tomb for some sort of important person where oodles and oodles of wooden deer covered in gold foil pinned on by tiny copper nails were placed around one of the burial chambers. None of them looks quite the same; some are fantastic, some are kind of bad. Some of them even show influences from other cultures. The best anyone can figure, Everyone made a deer for this guy, probably including some foreigners he probably dealt with in life. It's so cool to actually see such a range of craftsmanship preserved in one place that can be compared so easily since they're working on the same design.
      Figured and discussed in "The Golden Deer of Eurasia" if anyone's interested.

      -Aritê

    • katherine kerr
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        > D'vorah:

        > Okay, you're not in my kingdom, but if ever I have the privilege of
        > penning a scroll for someone, I hope it's you. ;) Not because I would
        > try less than my best, but because you'd understand when I failed to
        > produce godlike quality and instead achieved only something that one
        > could reasonably assume to have been done by a plain human, and will
        > like it for what it is rather than picking apart its faults.

        And I'd feel privileged and delighted to have a human piece of work :-)

        We've recently shifted tactic in our scroll production in Lochac with regard to the promissories
        that people are given when awarded an AoA. Instead of trying to produce illuminated scrolls
        (a lot of work, even if based on a pre-printed blank), we now have the equivalent of
        hand-written writs -- looking something like what would have been done by a clerk in
        Chancery.

        The writ acknowledges the AoA and comes with an instruction sheet which tell people that
        they will get a "proper" scroll when they get their name and arms registered and how to start
        on that process. (An important piece of assumed knowledge -- we had no proper scrolls in 20
        years under Caid as no-one knew about the actual procedure; we thought the photocopied,
        felt-penned promissories we all got was the real thing!). So the new approach educates the
        populace and, being folded up in good clerkly tradition, is a lot easier for the Crowns to travel
        with.

        We're also now getting a number of peers asking to have this style of scroll, rather than the
        more traditional "book of hours" TSCA version.

        You can see an example of the AoA writ here:
        http://lochacscribes.blogspot.co.nz/2010/07/writs-beginning.html

        I haven't yet been able to convince the Guild of Scribes that we should have the odd
        thumbprint, water stain or correction....

        Cheers,
        katherine

        =====================================
        katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
        Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
        mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
        printing, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
        Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.lochac.sca.org
      • Cynthia Haggerty
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
          Your writs are REALLY COOL! We don't use the huge seals here in Atlantia
          and I think the 'real scribes' out here should be informed about them as
          generally, even AoA awards are not always presented on the spot. Nor are
          others.
          THe couple of scrolls I've done here on a baronial level, have been
          unfortunately less than perfect. I've never been chastised for my less than
          perfect work and am oft praised for my good clear hand. <blush>

          Jacintha

          --
          Lady Jacintha of Highland Foorde
          Chancellor Minor - Barony of Highland Foorde

          * Nam in dando recipimus *
          * For it is in giving that we receive *
          * Francis of Assisi 1185-1226 *

        • D'vorah bint Da'ud
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
            On 1 Mar 2012, at 3:48 PM, katherine kerr wrote:

            > We've recently shifted tactic in our scroll production in Lochac with regard to the promissories
            > that people are given when awarded an AoA. Instead of trying to produce illuminated scrolls
            > (a lot of work, even if based on a pre-printed blank), we now have the equivalent of
            > hand-written writs -- looking something like what would have been done by a clerk in
            > Chancery.
            >
            > The writ acknowledges the AoA and comes with an instruction sheet which tell people that
            > they will get a "proper" scroll when they get their name and arms registered and how to start
            > on that process. (An important piece of assumed knowledge -- we had no proper scrolls in 20
            > years under Caid as no-one knew about the actual procedure; we thought the photocopied,
            > felt-penned promissories we all got was the real thing!). So the new approach educates the
            > populace and, being folded up in good clerkly tradition, is a lot easier for the Crowns to travel
            > with.
            >
            > We're also now getting a number of peers asking to have this style of scroll, rather than the
            > more traditional "book of hours" TSCA version.
            >
            > You can see an example of the AoA writ here:
            > http://lochacscribes.blogspot.co.nz/2010/07/writs-beginning.html
            >
            > I haven't yet been able to convince the Guild of Scribes that we should have the odd
            > thumbprint, water stain or correction....
            >
            > Cheers,
            > katherine

            First of all, these writs are terrific, and look just like something a clerk or apprentice scribe would pen in a hurry while the 'real' scribes -- journeyman or master quality, with or without such a formal appellation -- in order to give a person something to hold onto and treasure as being the evidence of an oath by their monarch or other feudal superior/up-the-chain type person. In less literate populations, too, I could also see the populace framing *those* because they didn't know there was anything else awaiting them, just like your fellow Lochac award recipients didn't know the proper procedure (though not from lack of literacy).

            Hm. Wonder if I, as just such a low-level apprentice, might convince the Middle Kingdom Powers That Be to let me practice by making promissory notes, once I get a full alphabet under my belt… Midrealmers? Anyone? Is this done by the Children of the Dragon?
            D'vorah bint Da'ud
            dvorah@...
            http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
            Twitter: @DvorahSCA
          • katherine kerr
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
              > Jacintha:

              > Your writs are REALLY COOL! We don't use the huge seals here in
              > Atlantia and I think the 'real scribes' out here should be informed
              > about them as generally, even AoA awards are not always presented on
              > the spot. Nor are others.

              The intent is that the Scribal Wardens each get a smaller Scribes'
              seal which can be used on the writs, leaving the Kingdom and heraldic
              seals for the actual scrolls. We're working on that.

              I also like the idea of encouraging each scribe to develop a scribal
              monogram as a "signature". I use one on my Banco certificates, based
              on that used by Perkin Warbeck; the Scots heralds in the mid-1500s
              also used monograms, so I figure the slight chronological mismatch is
              OK :-)

              > D'vorah:

              > First of all, these writs are terrific, and look just like something a
              > clerk or apprentice scribe would pen in a hurry while the 'real'
              > scribes -- journeyman or master quality, with or without such a formal
              > appellation -- in order to give a person something to hold onto and
              > treasure as being the evidence of an oath by their monarch or other
              > feudal superior/up-the-chain type person.

              Yep, exactly the point! I had proposed that we handwrite the writs,
              allowing beginner scribes to get practice in producing them so they
              can move up to scrolls, but I think that might have been a tad too
              radical for the Guild :-)

              > In less literate populations, too, I could also see the populace
              > framing *those* because they didn't know there was anything else
              > awaiting them, just like your fellow Lochac award recipients didn't
              > know the proper procedure (though not from lack of literacy).

              Well, I do know some of those felt-penned photocopies have been
              framed and on walls for years....and yes, people are framing the
              writs too.

              > Hm. Wonder if I, as just such a low-level apprentice, might convince
              > the Middle Kingdom Powers That Be to let me practice by making
              > promissory notes, once I get a full alphabet under my belt...

              One nice possibility is to pen a set of letters of thanks for your
              B&B or your Crown to give out. You could do a generic batch (50? :-),
              getting good practice in at one format and style and providing a
              batch for use; or offer to do follow-up pesonalised ones for
              high-level events.

              (Hmm, maybe I should ask our B&B if they'd like something like this -- gotta practice what ya
              preach!)

              You can vary the penmanship to suit the giver and/or recipient for
              additional practice. (I had argued that the writs from Crown should
              match the Crown's era; the final scrolls should match the
              recipeient's era.)

              It doesn't have to be long to be appreciated. For a period flavour,
              there are some great short award texts by Maitresse Yvianne de Castel
              d'Avignon which provide good models for suitable salutations and
              closes:

              http://www.angelfire.com/pa/allthat2/scriptorium/wordings.html

              Fold them in a tucked format and they can provide an "envelope" for
              personal tokens too, if need be.

              Such things last a long time in the memory of those who receive them.

              Cheers,
              katherine
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
                I don't want to reproduce Katherine Kerr's entire email here, for the benefit of those receiving this list's messages as a digest. I do think the entire email is well worth rereading time and again, so I'm going to keep it in a special folder so I can look at it every time I can't think of what I should do to practice my scribing with something more inspiring than just repeating the alphabet over and over. I'm going to take your suggestions, think about which are achievable for me right now, and save the rest for when more is within my reach. Thank you, good lady!