Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] name uniqueness

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 10, 2012
      "Where every body knows your name..."

      Yeah, I like knowing that I'm the only Albreda Aylese out there, esp since Susan Bingham is such a completely ordinary and boring name!

      (snip)

      On a purely emotional level, I agree with Caitlin that it's rather nice
      knowing that I am the only person with this name in our Society. Call it
      "silly snowflake" syndrome if you will, but when it's so easy to be lost
      among the masses in the mundane world, it's nice to have a place where you
      don't have to worry about that.

    • Sarah O'Connor
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 14, 2012
        As far as unique names go, there are ways around it. I've been using my
        SCAdian name (Elinor Strangewayes) for over a decade now. It took me a
        couple of years to register my name, and unfortunately someone else started
        using the same name in the mean time. I registered mine first by just a few
        months, and the end result is that I have a registered doppelganger in my
        kingdom with the same name as me plus a locative byname to make a point of
        difference... which she then rarely uses. I've been on the receiving end of
        name confusion more than once, including for award pollings. My situation
        is one of the warning examples used in the "What's wrong with allowing
        non-unique names?" FAQ: http://lochac.sca.org/herald/uniqueness

        So while I agree that allowing more similar names and devices would be both
        more period and easier for new members, I've gotten burned by mistaken
        identity generated by a too-similar name. (A totally period problem, too!)

        Yours in Service,
        Lady Elinor Strangewayes, OM.
        who is not the same as Elinor Strangewayes of Dorset.