paper folding

  • katherine kerr
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2011
      > I ran across a recipe for candied almonds that is plausibly
      > renaissance, and a reference to a traditional German paper cone
      > (papiertute) to wrap them that claims there are written references
      > to them from around 1500. The problem is, I don't speak German so I
      > am having troubles tracking down anything more solid. Can anyone out
      > there help? Though it isn't critical before making these as 12th
      > Night gifts, it would be lovely to know at some point whether they
      > actually fall into the SCA period. Thanks.

      In case it's of help, I saw this yesterday:

      Paper Folding in 15th Century Europe
      Donna Serena da Riva

      http://www.loggiaserena.com/Resume/Documentation/PaperFoldingDoc.pdf

      Concentrating on the examples of folded paper boxes depicted in the
      marginalia of the Hours of Catherine of Cleves.

      I use the standard origami "cup" as a means for holding things like
      roasted hazelnuts or sticks for mairenbad games. Very handy as you
      can fold over one of the "edge folds to enclose the contents fairly
      safely, Makes a good use for misprinted sheets of paper, of which I
      have many....

      (http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-cup.html)

      No idea if there's period precedent for it, but wouldn't be surprised
      as it's got to be one of the simplest set of folds around. Tractatus
      had a basic folded boat, depicted in his 1490 book De Sphaera Mundi,
      which uses similar folding steps.

      I know the French were into serving things in paper cones (mentioned
      a lot in "Chocolat" :-), but I'm not sure how far back that dates.

      And here's another discussion, mostly speculative:

      The history of paperfolding : a German perspective
      http://www.britishorigami.info/academic/lister/german.php

      He argues rather ingeniously that an Italian penchant for pleated
      napkins formed the basis for European origami, post-1600s though; or
      that the period square astrological chart looks like a special form
      of blintz fold -- I have my doubts on that one as I've never seen any
      evidence that they were folded in any way.

      As a period-style printer, I'm interested in anything you can do with
      paper, but this kind of ephemeral thing is very hard to document as
      they didn't leave any lasting kind of legacy, specially not in
      written records.

      You try describing that folding fortune teller thing that was always
      a big hit with girls at primary school -- you know what I mean, it
      had flaps that folded out and you picked favourite colours or numbers
      and then unfolded the last flap and read your fortune or some
      suitably scathing comment. And you only ever learned how to do it
      from someone else....(though these days there are no doubt YouTube
      videos which will demonstrate how to).

      Cheers,
      katherine