Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Activity Ideas for youth

  • Dianna
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 21, 2011
      Why not cotton? Its perfectly period. Was it just not used for
      embroidery? That seems weird considering it was a luxury fiber in much
      of Europe.
      Avacyn

      > I'm seeing some lovely ideas for getting kids involved in REAL A&S! Hurray!
      >
      > One further consideration: I know that money is *always* a factor, but when possible, try to give kids REAL tools and materials. Scraps and donations from folks working in the various mediums work wonderfully! Wool, not cotton embroidery thread, glass beads, linen scraps to sew with, etc. Getting to feel and work with the same materials that a) grown-ups use, and b) which were used in period, makes a HUGE difference. I wouldn't want to sew if I had to use polyester, would you??
      >
      > Enjoy, and keep up the good work, folks!
      >
      > Albreda

    • Metylda
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 21, 2011
        I cleaned out my house one time and donated a lot of stuffed animals. Also, most resale shops have a decent assortment, and there's always garage sales/tag sales/yard sales. I think one time I spent $5 for a garbage bag full of stuffed animals at a local resale shop. Most of them were in very good condition.

        Metylda of Ravenslake

        "Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation"
        — Walter Cronkite

        *****

        Me þæt wyrd gewæf