Re: Performing Arts -- anyone? Buehller?

  • ursula.widow
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2011
      Thanks to everyone who replied on this topic. I learned a lot about what people are up to.

      Jolicia lives in the neighboring barony and I know her as a musician but didn't know she was doing the 50 Challenge! Very cool.

      I hope an event announcement won't be out of place. For any performers who are in, or can travel to, Northeast Ohio, there's Midrealm Bardic Madness on November 19th:
      http://tilted-windmill.com/bms13/
      Please come and share! This is a wonderful low-pressure, high-activity event.

      > Is there anyone besides me whose Challenge is in the performing or poetic arts?

    • Amy
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 20, 2011
        Hi!

        Sorry I have not been on here much. I am refiguring my challenge. My schedule is too crazy to do everything I originally wanted to do.

        I am now focusing on stuff for my fencing, preparation for pennsic (i may get to go this year or next and I refuse to find myself in the pre-pennsic garb rush that several friends have found themselves in), pottery (since I will one day make a career out of it-long story), and poetry (since it is portable and can be taken almost anywhere).

        On the poetry front, I want to research 50 types of formal poetry from period, find an SCA period example of each (2 is better), and write my own example of each type. I have a file box with a file folder for each form, as well as a folder collecting info for forms I am still seeking period examples of. I felt myself to be good at poetry in high school and have off and on picked it up again so it's a comfy topic. Here is what I have period examples of to date:

        abecedarian
        acrostic
        altar
        ballad/ballata/ballade
        Canzone
        Cinquain
        choka/naupauta
        drottkvaett
        eclogue
        epigram
        ghazal
        glosa
        goliad
        haiku
        kyrielle
        ode
        rhyme royale
        rispetto
        rondeau
        rubaiyatt
        sapphic
        sestina
        sijo
        sonnett
        tanka
        tercet/terza rima
        triolet
        waka

        I keep running into several obstacles with this. There's the usual statement that it's origins are medieval but most examples are more recent and out of the SCA period. Frequently, I can google medieval + poetry form but this brings mixed results for rarer forms (frequently everything but what I am seeking). I have given up using Renaissance as a search term because different places had their Renaissance at different times outside of the Mediterranean basin and in a lot of cases, it refers to the 17th and 18th centuries (Ireland for example). Medieval tends to cover the same time frame in most places.

        Frequently, if I am trying to define a poem by rhyme scheme, the English translation does no good because it does not have the same rhyme as the original and I can not always find the original. When I am looking for repitition, the english version may change where it's supposed to be the same [example: I have been focusing on triolets for an event I hope to attend in Canton OH-Bardic Madness. The triolet has two lines that repeat and there is supposed to be a twist in the meaning. Frequently, a translated triolet may not be an exact repeat but I do not know if this was the poets original intent or an English translater attempting to make sense of it.]. In other cases, I may only be able to find examples in a foreign language-no English translation-the google translater does not seem able to interpret everything.

        Rondeaus, Cinquains, and some of the Asian forms give me another set of challenges entirely. I think the rondeau in it's period form may be different from modern forms-they seem to have different lengths. The cinquain used to be a five-lined poem or stanza of the same meter and any rhyme scheme but someone named Adelaide Crapsey developed a form out of our period that has different numbers of syllables in each line. The Asian poems tend to be given different origin dates from source to source. Luckily I am finding examples but what appears to be one type is sometimes frequently another type.

        And finally, the Villanelle is probably the strangest research issue of them all. I have seen and printed the first recorded villanelle. I have seen a couple of sources that state someone in the 1800s challenged poets to write a poem with the rhyme scheme of that original-thus originating it as a set form. If I could find the quote or a copy of that original challenge, I could prove that original inspiring poem to be just a single occurence and not a standard poetry form of the period. However, I have not found others like it in period examples either.

        Sorry to vent out the dirty laundry of research complaints after not having visited for a while. I realize I may be preaching to the choir on some of it. I appreciate the support and info that this group shares. It is of value.

        Amy