RE: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Looking for Coordinator

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi!
      I'm not sure there's a "coordinator" as such in the kingdoms. This is simply a group of gentles pushing themselves, and sharing. You can choose to do a myriad of things.

      Archer
      (the Gleann Abhann kite guy & former Calontiri)

      To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
      From: khaentlahn@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 14:01:08 +0000
      Subject: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Looking for Coordinator

      Good morning,

      I'm new to this project (still trying to decide if I want to attempt it) and I'm looking for the Calontir coordinator? Would there happen to be one?

      Thank you!

      Kirstyn

    • Berdanier
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
        Greetings Kirstyn,

        Though on the web site it says the Calontier Coordinator position is vacant, there is a chance Albreda has had the chance to fill it. I'm hoping Albreda will catch this and send a post but in the meantime, I'm forwarding this to the Kingdom Coordinators list in the hopes it might get better directed if there has been a placement made.

        You do not have to have a coordinator in your kingdom to play but if you want to talk to one, I'd be happy to listen and offer what advise I can. There are advantages to a more local person such as were to find like minded people or resources in your area however.

        Regards,
        Cathryn of Chester
        A&S Coordinator
        Midrealm

        To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
          We've got coordinators???
          HUH!
          Guess my head has been up in the clouds too much!
          Kirstyn, I'm sorry for the bad info in my earlier post.

          Archer

          > To: aands50challengecommunity@yahoogroups.com
          > CC: aands50kingdomcoordinators@yahoogroups.com
          > From: baroness_cat@...
          > Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:21:19 -0400
          > Subject: RE: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Looking for Coordinator
          >

          > Greetings Kirstyn,
          >
          > Though on the web site it says the Calontier Coordinator position is vacant, there is a chance Albreda has had the chance to fill it. I'm hoping Albreda will catch this and send a post but in the meantime, I'm forwarding this to the Kingdom Coordinators list in the hopes it might get better directed if there has been a placement made.
          >
          > You do not have to have a coordinator in your kingdom to play but if you want to talk to one, I'd be happy to listen and offer what advise I can. There are advantages to a more local person such as were to find like minded people or resources in your area however.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Cathryn of Chester
          > A&S Coordinator
          > Midrealm
          >

          > To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
          > From: khaentlahn@...
          > Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 14:01:08 +0000
          > Subject: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Looking for Coordinator
          >

          > Good morning,
          >
          > I'm new to this project (still trying to decide if I want to attempt it) and I'm looking for the Calontir coordinator? Would there happen to be one?
          >
          > Thank you!
          > Kirstyn

        • Kirstyn
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
            Greetings Cathryn,

            Thank you so very much for the offer and the forwards. Finding someone local was part of the reason why I asked, as well as if anything was being organized in my kingdom (meetings, get-togethers, etc.). Sometimes it's easier in person than over the great internet expanse. :D

            As a coordinator, what advice do you give new people just starting this project? And what qualifies as 50 items? Anything?

            Kirstyn

            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Berdanier <baroness_cat@...> wrote:

            > Greetings Kirstyn,
            >
            > Though on the web site it says the Calontir Coordinator position is vacant, there is a chance Albreda has had the chance to fill it. I'm hoping Albreda will catch this and send a post but in the meantime, I'm forwarding this to the Kingdom Coordinators list in the hopes it might get better directed if there has been a placement made.
            >
            > You do not have to have a coordinator in your kingdom to play but if you want to talk to one, I'd be happy to listen and offer what advise I can. There are advantages to a more local person such as were to find like minded people or resources in your area however.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Cathryn of Chester
            > A&S Coordinator
            > Midrealm
          • Kirstyn
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
              Greetings, Archer,

              We can't all know everything, but thank you for trying to help. :)

              Kirstyn

              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Mike Wilson <kitearcher@...> wrote:

              > We've got coordinators???
              > HUH!
              > Guess my head has been up in the clouds too much!
              > Kirstyn, I'm sorry for the bad info in my earlier post.
              >
              > Archer

            • J.H. Grace
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                Of course we have coordinators? How could we function in the SCA
                without a bureaucracy :D

                The main function of the coordinators is to help set up displays at
                events and coordinate meet-and-greets and info sessions.

                That's it though. We don't coordinate individual challenges or
                challengers -- you get to herd your own cats :D

                Hugh

                --
                In collatione informatica ululans audiri non potest.

                Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
                Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/
              • Berdanier
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                  Not only that but there are still kingdoms out there that don't have one! Archer may be in that situation. From what I've seen posted by him though, I'd bet if there weren't one in his kingdom he would be a fine candidate! :-)

                  Cathryn

                  To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
                  From: khaentlahn@...
                  Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 17:04:10 +0000
                  Subject: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Looking for Coordinator

                  Greetings, Archer,

                  We can't all know everything, but thank you for trying to help. :)

                  Kirstyn

                  --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Mike Wilson <kitearcher@...> wrote:

                  > We've got coordinators???
                  > HUH!
                  > Guess my head has been up in the clouds too much!
                  > Kirstyn, I'm sorry for the bad info in my earlier post.
                  >
                  > Archer

                • Mike Wilson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                    Cathryn,
                    Not sure I make a "fine" candidate ... however....
                    I found the A&S50 website and apparently Gleann Abhann is vacant.
                    As long as there aren't reports to write and turn in .... (says the A&S drop dead for his barony)... what would I have to do?
                    lol
                    Archer

                    > To: aands50challengecommunity@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: baroness_cat@...
                    > Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 13:30:37 -0400
                    > Subject: RE: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Looking for Coordinator
                    >

                    > Not only that but there are still kingdoms out there that don't have one! Archer may be in that situation. From what I've seen posted by him though, I'd bet if there weren't one in his kingdom he would be a fine candidate! :-)
                    >
                    > Cathryn
                    >

                    > To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: khaentlahn@...
                    > Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 17:04:10 +0000
                    > Subject: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Looking for Coordinator
                    >

                    > Greetings, Archer,
                    >
                    > We can't all know everything, but thank you for trying to help. :)
                    >
                    > Kirstyn
                    >
                    > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Mike Wilson <kitearcher@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > We've got coordinators???
                    > > HUH!
                    > > Guess my head has been up in the clouds too much!
                    > > Kirstyn, I'm sorry for the bad info in my earlier post.
                    > >
                    > > Archer

                  • Ted Eisenstein
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                      > Thank you so very much for the offer and the forwards. Finding someone local
                      >was part of the reason why I asked, as well as if anything was being
                      organized
                      >in my kingdom (meetings, get-togethers, etc.). Sometimes it's easier
                      in person
                      >than over the great internet expanse. :D
                      Where in Calontir are you? I'm not sure this is a fully organized
                      community...so if you want help, just ask your local Laurel, Silver
                      Hammer, Calon Lily, and/or A&S officer. Or us. Or some combination.

                      It's mostly a self-driven thing, to improve your own skills either in
                      breadth or in depth, or (with some crazy people) both.

                      > As a coordinator, what advice do you give new people just starting this project?
                      "Have fun. Learn stuff while making stuff. And keep good notes, so you
                      can show other people how to have fun, too."

                      >And what qualifies as 50 items? Anything?
                      I suspect Albreda would say "anything that's an art, or science, or
                      both, and falls within our period." 50 poems, 50 presentations, 50
                      classes, 50 embroideries, 50 dances, 50 new dishes, and/or combinations
                      (10 feasts, with 10 songs as entertainment, in 10 new sets of garb,
                      on 10 sets of feast gear.....). It's a pretty loose set of rules; I
                      think the only ones are "50 things", and "they're done by you".

                      Heck, mine was to digitally photograph 50 period books; the books were
                      period, but the photographing was most modern. (List upon request, and
                      I could be persuaded to send out copies, if asked nicely.)

                      Stray Thought: has anyone thought about coming up with some sort of
                      unofficial medallion for those of us who've finished all 50? (No, not
                      a registered badge, or anything requiring bureaucracy; I'm just curious
                      about having a nice-looking doo-dad to remind us of what we've done.)

                      Alban
                    • Ted Eisenstein
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                        > We can't all know everything, but thank you for trying to help. :)

                        But there's no reason to not try to learn it all. :)

                        ("I'll live forever, or die trying!")

                        Alban
                      • Mike Wilson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                          Alban,
                          Please, send me a list of your digitized materials. I would like to take a look.
                          Thank you!
                          If any are interested, I have some digitized works - some period that I've come across over the years. Sending them would likely require sending out CDs or DVDs.

                          Archer

                          kitearcher AT hotmail.com

                          To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
                          From: alban@...
                          Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 13:24:12 -0500

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                            How about the Challenge badge with a gold circle around it? Or multiple rings to indicate if you have completed more than one challenge? We have a Challenger that is on her fourth one.

                            Ta,
                            Cathryn

                            To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                              The badge with the gold ring(s) sounds nice :)

                              Fourth? Wow, I'm still toiling through my first challenges. :) This has helped me get motivated on projects I'd been planning for years.

                              Cerridwen

                              Berdanier <baroness_cat@...> wrote:

                              >How about the Challenge badge with a gold circle around it? Or multiple rings to indicate if you have completed more than one challenge? We have a Challenger that is on her fourth one.
                              >
                              >Ta,
                              >Cathryn
                              >

                              >To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
                              >From: alban@...
                              >Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 13:23:07 -0500
                              >Subject: Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Looking for Coordinator
                              >

                              > Stray Thought: has anyone thought about coming up with some sort of
                              >unofficial medallion for those of us who've finished all 50? (No, not
                              >a registered badge, or anything requiring bureaucracy; I'm just curious
                              >about having a nice-looking doo-dad to remind us of what we've done.)
                              >
                              >Alban

                            • Susan
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
                                Hi!

                                Yes, some of us have Kingdom Coordinators, and some of us *could* have Kingdom (or at least Regional) Coordinators if I ever went through my files of applicants, found out if folks were even still interested, and generally lit a fire under my own backside. Meanwhile, *anyone* is welcome to organize meet-ups and displays on their local levels, and to ask questions of the Coordinators we DO have here on the list!

                                BTW, I love love love, the idea of the A&S 50 symbol with rings around it to mark completion of the challenge. Awesome idea!

                                Enjoy!

                              • Kirstyn
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 2, 2011
                                  > Where in Calontir are you? I'm not sure this is a fully organized
                                  > community...so if you want help, just ask your local Laurel, Silver
                                  > Hammer, Calon Lily, and/or A&S officer. Or us. Or some combination.

                                  I'm in the Crescent Moon area and we have more new people right now than we have seasoned A&S participants. Besides that, we're somewhat small. (Shire Meeting last night, 9 people, if you count the baby :D... only 3 of them have been around longer than a year and only 1 of those three have an award/office you mentioned.)

                                  > It's mostly a self-driven thing, to improve your own skills either in
                                  > breadth or in depth, or (with some crazy people) both.

                                  I can do self-driven, but having that someone around that can kick my lazy butt into motion every now and then doesn't hurt.

                                  > Heck, mine was to digitally photograph 50 period books; the books were
                                  > period, but the photographing was most modern. (List upon request, and
                                  > I could be persuaded to send out copies, if asked nicely.)

                                  How many have you photographed so far?
                                • Ted Eisenstein
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 2, 2011
                                    >> Heck, mine was to digitally photograph 50 period books; the books were
                                    >> period, but the photographing was most modern. (List upon request, and
                                    >> I could be persuaded to send out copies, if asked nicely.)
                                    >
                                    >How many have you photographed so far?

                                    50 books, give or take a few. Individual folia? I have no idea.

                                    Alban