Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Suggestions

  • Ian the Green
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 14 7:21 AM
      I'm all for making ink horns but I get the feeling that might just be a
      waste of most of the horn.

      Ian the Green, Scribe

      --
      Yours In Service,

      Lord Ian the Green, APF, CCK, AoA, APFy (Thieves of Hearts), ADF (Thieves of
      Hearts), Captain in the Thieves of Hearts

    • J C Ronsen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 14 7:37 AM
        Why not make some cutlery or plates?

        http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/horn/hornhome.html

        Caleb from Work Land

        --
        Yours In Service,

        Lord Ian the Green, APF, CCK, AoA, APFy (Thieves of Hearts), ADF (Thieves of
        Hearts), Captain in the Thieves of Hearts

        Ian's Flickr account

      • Sorcha
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 14 8:22 AM
          If you make ink pots with part of the horn, you could make needles (sewing & nalbinding) with the other part.
          Waste is to a minimum.

          Sorcha

          >I'm all for making ink horns but I get the feeling that might just be a
          >waste of most of the horn.
          >
          >Ian the Green, Scribe

        • Annejke Macaiodh
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 14 8:39 AM
            You can usse the tips of the horn for salt cellars or ferruls for paint brushes.

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          • Heregyth Ketilsdottir
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 14 2:50 PM
              I don't have a solid understanding of specifics on how to place the holes, but I have a musical instrument called a gemshorn that could be made with a cow's horn. It has the blowhole/labium arrangement of a recorder (blow into a slit in the thick end, not the point), but the point is closed so the thing  creates sound in the fashion of an ocarina. A more experienced musician than I tells me the recorder fingering arrangement is easier to learn to play (esp. since I also play recorder), but is not  necessarily historically accurate.

              A couple of links w/some more info, maybe a place to start

              http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/horn/hgems.html
              http://web.onetel.net.uk/~booksearch/walpurgis/gemshorn.htm
              http://www.jstor.org/pss/766151

              (last link requires JSTOR access to read the full article)

            • Andrea AskenDunn
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 15 6:58 AM
                This horn issue is SO COOL!!!!!!
                Asther de Perpinya
                "au four et au moulin"

                On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Heregyth Ketilsdottir <
                heregyth.ketilsdottir@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I don't have a solid understanding of specifics on how to place the holes,
                > but I have a musical instrument called a gemshorn that could be made with a
                > cow's horn. It has the blowhole/labium arrangement of a recorder (blow into
                > a slit in the thick end, not the point), but the point is closed so the
                > thing creates sound in the fashion of an ocarina. A more experienced
                > musician than I tells me the recorder fingering arrangement is easier to
                > learn to play (esp. since I also play recorder), but is not necessarily
                > historically accurate.
                >
                > A couple of links w/some more info, maybe a place to start
                >
                > http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/horn/hgems.html
                > http://web.onetel.net.uk/~booksearch/walpurgis/gemshorn.htm
                > http://www.jstor.org/pss/766151
                >
                > (last link requires JSTOR access to read the full article)

              • Lynlee
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 16 9:12 PM
                  Thanks all,

                  I think my Highland horns may be too big for the gemshorn, (60cm and longer but quite narrow) but I have some smaller ones I will play with. If it fails my husband can always cut it up for arrow nocks.
                  I also saw a pibgorn which looks challenging. I may need to find a friend with an electronic tuner :)
                  I do like the ink wells too and sewing kits. As I have 5 pairs of highland horns plus another collection of shorter but larger diameter ones, I will have lots of scope. A beeswax tablet or coda looks fun too as I have some wax already.
                  Has anyone thought about/tried/found evidence for turtle broaches of horn? Obviously they would not have lasted well, but it seems to me the sort of thing you would make for the kids in case they lost more expensive ones. Since buttons and buckles have been made from horn, it would seem logical and very do-able.

                  --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Andrea AskenDunn <askendunn@...> wrote:

                  > This horn issue is SO COOL!!!!!!
                  > Asther de Perpinya
                  > "au four et au moulin"
                  >
                  > On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Heregyth Ketilsdottir <
                  > heregyth.ketilsdottir@...> wrote:
                  > .
                • Dianna
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 16 9:41 PM
                    I don't really have access to a saw but would love to have a couple of
                    pieces of horn cut into blanks that I could make nalbinding needles out
                    of. (This would be very experimental on my part as I've never worked
                    with horn or bone before.) I'd want blanks in the 4-6 inch length.
                    I'll gladly pay a fair price. These could even be left over pieces from
                    another project. Same for bone. I can get bone, but don't have a good
                    way to cut it. If anyone can supply these, drop me an email privately
                    and I'll send you my details.
                    Avacyn aka Dianna Haught

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 17 10:16 AM
                      Lynlee,
                      Did you follow links to this?:
                      http://www.horners.org.uk/
                      Asther de Perpinya
                      "au four et au moulin"

                      On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Dianna <avacyn@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I don't really have access to a saw but would love to have a couple of
                      > pieces of horn cut into blanks that I could make nalbinding needles out
                      > of. (This would be very experimental on my part as I've never worked
                      > with horn or bone before.) I'd want blanks in the 4-6 inch length.
                      > I'll gladly pay a fair price. These could even be left over pieces from
                      > another project. Same for bone. I can get bone, but don't have a good
                      > way to cut it. If anyone can supply these, drop me an email privately
                      > and I'll send you my details.
                      > Avacyn aka Dianna Haught
                      >
                      > > Thanks all,
                      > >
                      > > I think my Highland horns may be too big for the gemshorn, (60cm and
                      > longer but quite narrow) but I have some smaller ones I will play with. If
                      > it fails my husband can always cut it up for arrow nocks.
                      > > I also saw a pibgorn which looks challenging. I may need to find a friend
                      > with an electronic tuner :)
                      > > I do like the ink wells too and sewing kits. As I have 5 pairs of
                      > highland horns plus another collection of shorter but larger diameter ones,
                      > I will have lots of scope. A beeswax tablet or coda looks fun too as I have
                      > some wax already.
                      > > Has anyone thought about/tried/found evidence for turtle broaches of
                      > horn? Obviously they would not have lasted well, but it seems to me the sort
                      > of thing you would make for the kids in case they lost more expensive ones.
                      > Since buttons and buckles have been made from horn, it would seem logical
                      > and very do-able.
                      > >
                      > > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Andrea
                      > AskenDunn<askendunn@...> wrote:
                      > >> This horn issue is SO COOL!!!!!!
                      > >> Asther de Perpinya
                      > >> "au four et au moulin"
                      > >>
                      > >> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Heregyth Ketilsdottir<
                      > >> heregyth.ketilsdottir@...> wrote:
                      > >> .

                    • Heregyth Ketilsdottir
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 19 8:53 PM
                        To the question about making turtle brooches from horn for the kids:

                        In my readings I have never come across a grave find that had turtle brooches or a garment that would need such a brooch being worn by a child. The best available evidence has been leading some researchers to conclude that these brooches were a signal of social status (either married adult or mother, moderately wealthy).

                        Have others read otherwise? If so, I'd love to know more.

                        Heregyth Ketilsdottir