Work in Progress

  • Albreda
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
      Happy June, Challengers!

      I've been handsewing like mad to keep my ever-growing kids in garb (and have some awesome calluses to show for it), and my behind the scenes work for finding KCs for every kingdom is *finally* coming along, now that I've gotten a new computer, gotten my lovely Owyn to coerce my old hard-drive into giving up my files, and have gotten Yahoo to actually let me get into our group files again! (Apparently, if you don't log into your Yahoo mail for four months, they make you inactive, and cut off your access. I never use yahoo mail, so had no idea why I couldn't get in. Sigh...)

      So - look for us decked out in new garb all summer long (EK Midsummer's, Openning of the Inn, and GNEW), and look for lots of business chat as I track down our current and potential KC's here on the list.

      What projects do you all have going this summer? Mine are all linen, linen and more linen, and nothing fancy, at that, but I'd love to hear from you all as to what YOU are working on!

      What has you excited, folks?? We want to know!
      Albreda
    • Kristine Robinson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
        My plans this Winter (as I am on the bottom half of the planet) at the
        moment consist of digging out origins of period and near-period ballads and
        other music designed for the solo singer, and learn them. Part of a depth
        challenge I have just given myself last week. I'm following my progress on
        my blog, http://pelagiaaldinoch.wordpress.com/ with recordings of each song
        I learn.

        Pelagia

        What projects do you all have going this summer? Mine are all linen, linen
        > and more linen, and nothing fancy, at that, but I'd love to hear from you
        > all as to what YOU are working on!
        >
        > What has you excited, folks?? We want to know!
        > Albreda

      • Christine Taylor
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
          That sounds excellent, Albreda! I need to look at my project list and get my
          ducks in a row. I'm still having fun. ;>

          Caitlin

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
            I'm assisting a friend with a "Botanicals" class at our West Kngdm A&S event
            next weekend and that's right along the lines of what my persona would
            be doing/learning/making...
            There will also be a "Cook's Play-Date" that day too...Always on the look-out
            for 12th Century recipies, but examples are scarce I'm told...

            Catherine Holcombe of Arden
            West/Mists/SoShores

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
              I've got a few more dye projects to play with, as well as more research into gardens.   My last experiment didn't go so well. I'm hoping the next ones (beets, iris roots, iris leaves, and a few others) go better.

              Metylda of Ravenslake
              Midrealm, Midlands, Shire of Ravenslake

              "Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation"

              — Walter Cronkite

              *****

              Me þæt wyrd gewæf

            • christine@hutt-edv.de
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
                Hello fellow challengers,

                Zitat von Albreda <AlbredaA@...>:

                > What projects do you all have going this summer? Mine are all
                > linen, linen and more linen, and nothing fancy, at that, but I'd
                > love to hear from you all as to what YOU are working on!
                >
                > What has you excited, folks?? We want to know!
                > Albreda

                I got some really cheap and light wool fabric last summer *blush* and
                finally decided on a design which I want my new gown to look like (it
                will be early 14th century). I also got some linen fabric this spring
                and will make it into the a similar gown. And I need a new underdress
                (linen fabric for that bought last fall).
                On top of that I have another piece of linen fabric that wants to be
                made into a gown (probably underdress for a bilaut) and two more ideas
                for dresses (corresponding to the ones I just mentioned, a bliaut and
                a 14th c overdress with wide sleeves) for which I don't yet have fabric.
                That are four gowns for which I already have the fabric and the idea
                of what I want it to look like and two more for which I don't yet have
                the fabric, just an idea how it should look like.
                And I need to redo the hem of my favorite overdress.

                Apart from that I did some hand sewing of small stuff and will do some
                more of that, it's easy to do.
                I'm also still doing calligraphy and illumination, every time there's
                a scroll request and my shire holds a scriptorium (at home I can't
                seem to find the time).

                I'll try to find the time (and energy) to update my challenge blog
                with what I did already so that I know (and can tell you) how far I
                already am on my challenge.

                Ellina
              • Kat
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                  I am now working on a new dress and have managed to get it 100% out of stash materials, trim and threads... colour me happy....
                  Grey linen sottana with red 'bobbin lace' trim and slashed sleeves... here I come!
                  Kat
                  La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia
                  Innilgard, Lochac
                  The Florence Files http://gatewaytoflorence.purplefiles.net

                  "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"

                • Heidi Haywood
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                    Hi all! I'm de-lurking to say hello! For the summer I've got a lot of
                    weaving planned - I need to finish up a tablet weaving project, start at
                    least one more, and do a two on the floor loom - a Perugia towel and a set
                    of napkins that will be experimenting with a rose patterned twill. The
                    Perugia project is also going to require some fun with indigo on cotton, and
                    probably silk as well while I have the dye bath going. My plan is to make
                    as much progress on large projects on my 50 list this summer as I can and
                    focus on small portable things and catching up on documentation in the fall.

                    I've also got to do the usual sewing and embroidering, which isn't part of
                    my 50 challenge but seems to be never ending.

                    I keep track of all my project misadventures on my blog, and am posting my
                    completed 50 projects there as well, as I get them done and get the
                    documentation portion finished. http://medievalthreads.blogspot.com/

                    -Lady Oda Wlslagre dicta Widoeghe

                    <mailto:Hghaywood@...> Hghaywood@...

                    Kingdom of Atlantia, Barony of Marinus

                    http://medievalthreads.blogspot.com/

                    What projects do you all have going this summer? Mine are all linen, linen
                    and more linen, and nothing fancy, at that, but I'd love to hear from you
                    all as to what YOU are working on!

                    What has you excited, folks?? We want to know!

                  • Verena Entenwirt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                      Metylda,

                      Come down and play with me :-) I am just south of you by a tiny bit (in fact
                      I might have been convinced to run a dyeing workshop at MKAoD).

                      This weekend I will be combing and mordanting wools, which will get dyed at
                      Lillies. I will also be doing some dyeing at Border Skirmish.

                      -Verena (who is doing an AS50 Challenge on 50 items that can be used as dyes
                      and food)

                      --
                      Lady Verena Entenwirth
                      Midlands Regional A&S Champion

                    • Luke Knowlton
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                        Hi Everyone,

                        I have been all about bronze lately. We did a big pour at the studio on 4/29
                        (http://lukesgallery.shutterfly.com/pictures/100) which netted me a batch
                        more Roman belt fittings and tonight we are pouring again, so I'll have more
                        fittings for my stash. I have been researching Roman military belts on which
                        to put said fittings and have some ideas that I would like to try out which
                        include decorative stitching and cut outs based on surviving examples.

                        I have been researching a specific archaeological find from Hungary and
                        managed to run one of its reports to ground at a bookseller in Budapest. Its
                        all in Hungarian so translating it has been a trifle challenging but its a
                        good character building exercise. I have two more reports on the site that I
                        plan to pick up at the library tomorrow in which I hope to find an actual
                        photo of the burial I am studying, rather than just a schematic.

                        So this is what's been going on with me,

                        Luke

                        On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Albreda <AlbredaA@...> wrote:

                        > Happy June, Challengers!
                        >
                        > What projects do you all have going this summer? Mine are all linen, linen
                        > and more linen, and nothing fancy, at that, but I'd love to hear from you
                        > all as to what YOU are working on!
                        >
                        > What has you excited, folks?? We want to know!
                        > Albreda

                      • J.H. Grace
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                          On 3 June 2011 11:06, Luke Knowlton <lukeknowlton@...> wrote:
                          > Hi Everyone,
                          >
                          > I have been all about bronze lately. We did a big pour at the studio on 4/29
                          > (http://lukesgallery.shutterfly.com/pictures/100) which netted me a batch
                          > more Roman belt fittings and tonight we are pouring again, so I'll have more
                          > fittings for my stash. I have been researching Roman military belts on which
                          > to put said fittings and have some ideas that I would like to try out which
                          > include decorative stitching and cut outs based on surviving examples.

                          Luke's also got me sucked into metal work. My first attempt at bronze
                          casting is going to be in tonight's pour! If all goes well I'll have
                          a couple of pairs of no-particular-period candlesticks.

                          There are some photos of my candlesticks in progress here:
                          https://picasaweb.google.com/jh.grace/Metalwork?feat=directlink as
                          well as some videos of the previous pour (in case you're curious as to
                          what it's like when there's hot liquid metal in play!)

                          Most of my other activities lately have been clearing out the garage
                          and basement and building a veggie garden. Totally period activities.
                          Honest! Agriculture is period. So is hauling garbage. :)
                          Hugh

                          --
                          In collatione informatica ululans audiri non potest.

                          Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
                          Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/
                        • Johnna Holloway
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                            I plan to keep researching and scribbling away. Since the third A&S 50
                            is done, I guess
                            I am working on the next.
                            More articles, another Elizabethan text to edit, a newsletter, and
                            some booklets to compile.

                            Johnnae

                            On Jun 2, 2011, at 4:41 PM, Albreda wrote:

                            > Happy June, Challengers! snipped
                            >
                            > What projects do you all have going this summer? Mine are all linen,
                            > linen and more linen, and nothing fancy, at that, but I'd love to
                            > hear from you all as to what YOU are working on!
                            >
                            > What has you excited, folks?? We want to know!
                            > Albreda

                          • Siggi

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
                                I LOVE hearing about what you all are doing with yourselves!

                                1. I apologize to our Southern Hemisphere Challengers for my hemispherical bias; I just get SO excited to be rid of snow here in Vermont, that I forget that you all are headed into the deep of winter!

                                2. The next person who *blushes* because they have had not used a given piece of fabric in a whopping whole one year is going to get swatted with a wet period noodle. I still have wool stash from the 90's, and would likely still have some from the '80's if I hadn't been a completely poor high school student then!

                                3. Master Luke, you rock my world: I *adore* hearing the continuing adventures of a Laurel and his or her studies! Translating from Hungarian? You can do it! And yes, you've given me the bug - I saw some cast bronze pins from 1000 BCE today and thought, hey - I can do that! >.<

                                4. You all make me feel like such a slacker: period weaves galore, whole challenges of articles DONE, being able to take time off from competing since you are already at 40 entries with almost four years remaining, and even being able to *contemplate* A&S after an earthquake (although I suppose it might be a fun way to channel the insanity for once), and not even counting sewing work towards your challenge work. Thankfully, I made an entire Challenge out of keeping my family in garb, since it is the only one of my three Challenges that I'm even contemplating being able to finish at this point! (50 new things is, alas, turning into a giant pipe dream, and my persona project is going to have to wait and see!)

                                Keep up the updates and links to your projecty goodness! I know I'm not the only one here loving them!!!