Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Almond Paste/Marzipan?

  • Kristine Robinson
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2011
      What I've always done is seal my marzipan up in a box with some moisture
      absorbing sachets (you find them in shoe boxes, at least that's where I've
      always got mine from). If your cook book specifically says you can, then
      perhaps trust it over my word, but I've always found refrigeration (and
      accidental moisture contact) to cause marzipan to become grainy and sticky,
      and I've had the same advice from my mother also. I've never had an issue
      with mold growing, but that's not to say it won't, because these things all
      depend on the environment they're in.

      Pelagia

      On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Jacintha of Highland Foorde <
      jacintha74@...> wrote:

      > Hmm, my cook book said to keep refrigerated until use. It won't spoil/grow
      > wicked bacteria or mold?
      >
      > Jacintha

    • Johnna Holloway
      Message 2 of 17 , May 2, 2011
        For general information, have you looked at the Florilegium?
        WWW.florilegium.org The files on marzipan there ought to satisfy you
        to start with.

        For those seriously into subtleties and I mean seriously as in sugar
        arts and
        all things subtleties and sweets (with their own equipment, molds,
        books, etc.) and not into medieval foods, diets, feasts, etc... just
        subtleties and confections, there is the SCA Subtleties List. Our list
        is really only suitable for the hard core subtleties person, though
        and we have an international reputation for information which attracts
        a huge non-SCA following from Europe.
        Drop me a line off list if you want to know more.

        Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE
        Co-moderator and List Mom

        On May 2, 2011, at 8:10 PM, Jacintha of Highland Foorde wrote: Does
        anyone have documention for marzipan and

      • annejke1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2011
          You can use molds, cookie press, cookie cutters, orsculpting tools. I do
          monumental desserts and use marzipan instead of cookie dough or rice crispy
          treats as some other prof bakers. One trick with marzipan is drying it in
          the oven. If you cook with gas the heat from the pilot light will dry it
          well. What do you want to do?

          Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

          Message 4 of 17 , May 3, 2011
            Well it'll have to air dry. I will be out at an event. I wanted to allow
            the kids to play with it and eat it, if they'd like, with parental
            permission of course. It'll be hand molding. as I doubt I could find a
            suitable surface in the field for rolling and whatnot.

            Message 5 of 17 , May 3, 2011
              My article on Replica Molds might be of use. They work well with both
              marzipan and sugar paste as well as various pastry doughs.

              See Tournaments Illuminated #163 pp. 9-10.

              Johnnae

              Message 6 of 17 , May 5, 2011
                I would like to publicly thank Magister Eadric the Potter. He saved my
                Children's Activity! I showed him how sticky my marzipan was. He immediately
                knew I did not have enough almonds in the mix. He pulled me out of our
                Baronial meeting that hadn't begun yet, and BROUGHT me to the almond meal
                that I had no idea even existed. (No more blanching my own almonds, thank
                you!) My marizpan is now the consistency of play dough as it should be.

                And there was much rejoicing!

                Jacintha, who's adventure in cooking is now a success! (of course I think I
                need a new food processor as I have pretty nearly burnt out my motor in my
                Oster kitchen center! :-))

                --
                Lady Jacintha of Highland Foorde
                Chancellor Minor - Barony of Highland Foorde
                jacintha74@...

                * Nam in dando recipimus *
                * For it is in giving that we receive *
                * Francis of Assisi 1185-1226 *

              • Dave Roland
                Message 7 of 17 , May 5, 2011
                  YAY!!!

                  Ian

                • jacintha74@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 8, 2011
                    The kids loved to "play with your food" as part of Children's Activities.
                    Of course kids being the interesting persons they are played with their
                    food by adding the beads we were using for other projects. Who'da thunk
                    they'd do that! Some kids ate it and others thought is smelled yucky.

                    On May 5, 2011 9:46pm, Jacintha of Highland Foorde <jacintha74@...>
                    wrote:
                    > I would like to publicly thank Magister Eadric the Potter. He saved my
                    > Children's Activity! I showed him how sticky my marzipan was. He
                    > immediately knew I did not have enough almonds in the mix. He pulled me
                    > out of our Baronial meeting that hadn't begun yet, and BROUGHT me to the
                    > almond meal that I had no idea even existed. (No more blanching my own
                    > almonds, thank you!) My marizpan is now the consistency of play dough as
                    > it should be.

                    > And there was much rejoicing!
                    > Jacintha, who's adventure in cooking is now a success! (of course I think
                    > I need a new food processor as I have pretty nearly burnt out my motor in
                    > my Oster kitchen center! :-))

                  • Sarah O'Connor
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 18, 2011
                      I once set fire to my blender trying to make marzipan in it. That was
                      exciting. I've never tried to make it again. :)

                      ~Elinor Strangewayes
                      Mountain Freehold, East Kingdom

                      On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Jacintha of Highland Foorde <
                      jacintha74@...> wrote:

                      > I would like to publicly thank Magister Eadric the Potter. He saved my
                      > Children's Activity! I showed him how sticky my marzipan was. He
                      > immediately
                      > knew I did not have enough almonds in the mix. He pulled me out of our
                      > Baronial meeting that hadn't begun yet, and BROUGHT me to the almond meal
                      > that I had no idea even existed. (No more blanching my own almonds, thank
                      > you!) My marizpan is now the consistency of play dough as it should be.
                      >
                      > And there was much rejoicing!
                      >
                      > Jacintha, who's adventure in cooking is now a success! (of course I think I
                      > need a new food processor as I have pretty nearly burnt out my motor in my
                      > Oster kitchen center! :-))
                      >
                      > On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > My article on Replica Molds might be of use. They work well with both
                      > > marzipan and sugar paste as well as various pastry doughs.
                      > >
                      > > See Tournaments Illuminated #163 pp. 9-10.
                      > >
                      > > Johnnae
                      > >
                      > --
                      > Lady Jacintha of Highland Foorde
                      > Chancellor Minor - Barony of Highland Foorde
                      > jacintha74@...
                      >
                      > * Nam in dando recipimus *
                      > * For it is in giving that we receive *
                      > * Francis of Assisi 1185-1226 *

                    • Kat
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 20, 2011
                        I have finished another item. A camicia.

                        http://katerina-purplefiles.blogspot.com/2011/05/as-40-camicia-for-spanish-outfit.html

                        Kat
                        La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia
                        Innilgard, Lochac
                        The Florence Files http://gatewaytoflorence.purplefiles.net

                        "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as
                        well dance!"
                      • Elewyiss the Jew
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 20, 2011
                          Nice, I take it the material had the silver already in it?

                          Elewyiss

                          --
                          Ro'ah Chatulim

                        • Kat
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 20, 2011
                            It is not silver. It is basically holes, like pulled work, already in
                            material...
                            :)
                            Kat