citation question

  • Elewyiss the Jew
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
      If I'm citing an online article which is a reprint from a book, do I cite
      the book or the webpage?

      Elewyiss

      --
      Ro'ah Chatulim

    • Pamela Whitaker
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
        Not sure if it is same in the SCA or in college, but in my masters program college coursework you site the web page, because that is where you actually found the information. I am just getting ready to do my first SCA documentation, and that is what I plan to do :)
        Clarice Alienor Aldinoch

        To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
          I studied psychology and history in college so I used APA, and of course
          that was before you could cite the web. I found son of citation online that
          will cite it for you if you enter the info. Dang that's nice. But I'm using
          MLA.

          Elewyiss

          On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Pamela Whitaker
          <ussdefiant142@...>wrote:

          > Not sure if it is same in the SCA or in college, but in my masters program
          > college coursework you site the web page, because that is where you actually
          > found the information. I am just getting ready to do my first SCA
          > documentation, and that is what I plan to do :)
          > Clarice Alienor Aldinoch
          >

          > To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
          > From: elewyiss@...
          > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 19:27:04 -0400
          > Subject: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] citation question
          >

          > If I'm citing an online article which is a reprint from a book, do I cite
          > the book or the webpage?
          >
          > Elewyiss
          >
          > --
          > Ro'ah Chatulim

          Ro'ah Chatulim

        • Pamela Whitaker
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
            I can't seem to stop going back to school. I have been through 2 versions of MLA and am on my 4th version of APA. I think I spout it in my sleep. It has been years since I have used MLA though :( Here is another citation maker as well http://www.easybib.com/ .
            Clarice Alienor

            To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
            From: elewyiss@...
            Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 19:49:15 -0400

            I studied psychology and history in college so I used APA, and of course
            that was before you could cite the web. I found son of citation online that
            will cite it for you if you enter the info. Dang that's nice. But I'm using
            MLA.

            Elewyiss

            MARKETPLACE

            Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

            Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use

            .

          • Elewyiss the Jew
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
              Thank you. I wish I could spend all my time studing but I have found I can't
              work and go to school at the same time. Sigh.

              Elewyiss

              On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Pamela Whitaker
              <ussdefiant142@...>wrote:

              > I can't seem to stop going back to school. I have been through 2 versions
              > of MLA and am on my 4th version of APA. I think I spout it in my sleep. It
              > has been years since I have used MLA though :( Here is another citation
              > maker as well http://www.easybib.com/ .
              > Clarice Alienor
              >

              > To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
              > From: elewyiss@...
              > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 19:49:15 -0400
              > Subject: Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] citation question
              >

              > I studied psychology and history in college so I used APA, and of course
              > that was before you could cite the web. I found son of citation online that
              > will cite it for you if you enter the info. Dang that's nice. But I'm using
              > MLA.
              >
              > Elewyiss
              >

              > MARKETPLACE
              >

              > Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit
              > the Fibromyalgia Zone today!
              >

              > Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get
              > the Yahoo! Toolbar now.
              >
              > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use
              >

              > .

              Ro'ah Chatulim

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
                was it a direct quote or a footnote/reference.

                If it is a footnote/reference then go find the original book and quote that.

                I got that advice from about 9 of my judges last weekend.

                -Verena
                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
                  Sorry, for us folk that know not of which you write, MLA and APA, could you
                  cite a website reference for the formats? I know at somepoint I should
                  create some documentation.

                  On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM, <verena@...> wrote:

                  > was it a direct quote or a footnote/reference.
                  >
                  > If it is a footnote/reference then go find the original book and quote
                  > that.
                  >
                  > I got that advice from about 9 of my judges last weekend.
                  >
                  > -Verena
                  > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                  Lady Jacintha of Highland Foorde
                  Chancellor Minor - Barony of Highland Foorde
                  jacintha74@...

                  * Nam in dando recipimus *
                  * For it is in giving that we receive *
                  * Francis of Assisi 1185-1226 *

                • verena@broomstich.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
                    In google type in bibliography. One of the cites, is a webpage that will site your sources for you (in fact I think someone already mentioned the website).

                    MLA and APA, are formats in which you site your sources and references.

                    When writing documentation for the SCA, you want to keep proper reference and credit to where you got your information.

                    There is also a great article on the middle kingdom's chronicler's page that explains how to reference your sources.

                    Of course (I think most on this group would agree) if you get to the point where you need help writing your documentation, let anyone here know. I bet there are tons of people who would be willing to help (myself included)

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
                      Really? Youve turned in a paper? Are you willing to share? I've never seen
                      an A&S research paper. Any other advice?

                      Elewyiss

                      On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM, <verena@...> wrote:

                      > was it a direct quote or a footnote/reference.
                      >
                      > If it is a footnote/reference then go find the original book and quote
                      > that.
                      >
                      > I got that advice from about 9 of my judges last weekend.
                      >
                      > -Verena
                      > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                      Ro'ah Chatulim

                    • Johnna Holloway
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 1, 2011
                        It depends on the citation scheme you are using.
                        You can use EasyBib.com for most queries. Just fill in the blanks.

                        Johnnae, who is a librarian/bibliographer in another life

                        On Apr 1, 2011, at 7:27 PM, Elewyiss the Jew wrote:

                        > If I'm citing an online article which is a reprint from a book, do I
                        > cite
                        > the book or the webpage?
                        >
                        > Elewyiss

                      • S.E. Buchter
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
                          I am teaching a class at Pennsic this year on creating documentation for the SCA, I would love to have you all stop by.

                          For immediate use, I use: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/2/%c2%a0 This page explains both APA and MLA styles of documentation.

                          For the SCA (not academics) the most important is that you give credit where credit is due and you ensure that your reader can later find the source, even if it does not meet academic standards.

                          Tips:
                          Be consistent.  Whatever style you choose, consistently use that style throughout. (for example, don't cite one source by Author/ Title, and then cite the next by Title/ Author)

                          Don't just write one giant paragraph.  Judges can't find what they are looking for.

                          Create headings.  Break down your project into sections (Dress:  Source/Fabric/thread/Color/Closures/Sewing/Sleeves ETC.)  This allows the judges to jump to whatever aspect they have questions about.

                          Hope this has helped.

                          Ysemay

                        • JBurrows
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
                            I don't think of 'documentation' as writing a paper so much as proving where I got my information and describing what I did with it. It is why I much prefer the word 'provenance' over 'documentation'.
                            It is just answering a bunch of questions (yes this must usually be on paper for higher level competitions) and it may seem much less daunting in that respect. I don't get hung up so much on how it is presented otherwise, but that it must be CLEAR CONSISE and CONSISTENT ;)
                            cheers
                            Tanikh

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
                              It may be just answering a bunch of questions to you, but it's daunting, because no one tells you what the questions are.

                              Cecilia

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
                                Are you in Meridies? Here is a link to the page they set up for
                                documentation. It has the questions to answer. I love it.

                                http://artsandsciences.meridies.org/faire/guided_doc.php

                                Elewyiss

                                On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Leslie Lightfoot <llightfoot1@...>wrote:

                                > It may be just answering a bunch of questions to you, but it's daunting,
                                > because no one tells you what the questions are.
                                >
                                > Cecilia

                                Ro'ah Chatulim

                              • JBurrows
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
                                  Check the criteria for the competition. There should be a copy of the judging form. If not, ask for one. If there are no criteria, honestly, I would think twice about entering, as you have no idea what will be judged and where the emphasis will be...
                                  As a judge, I would expect to be as prepared on my end as competitors are on their end. If I have no criteria to evaluate with, what am I doing here? As a competitor, I would expect to be evaluated with regards to a set format, or I would not feel my efforts were respected.
                                  Cheers
                                  Tanikh

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
                                    Thank you!