Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Entering into A&S competition

  • Karen Tricomo
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 31, 2011
      Wow!  That does help me understand, thanks!!  I guess when your Kingdom spans so
      many States, it'd be a logistics nightmare to let anyone & everyone enter
      Kingdom stuff like I'm used to.  I appreciate you taking the time to
      educate me!! Thanks!

      Catherine HofA

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 9, 2011
        Greetings All,

        Sorry for the late follow-up--I've had major computer and email issues for
        the last two months and have finally waded through the 3,287 emails that
        _didn't_ get deleted, blocked, or missed in the "great Spam Filter War of
        2010-2011." I'm the North Oaken Regional MoAS in the Midrealm. Having
        lived in Ansteorra, Meridies, the East, AEthelmearc, and Atlantia I can say
        with some authority: formal A&S in the Mid is weird. Not necessarily bad,
        mind you, but it can definitely produce some culture shock to new
        immigrants.

        As has been noted, in the early days for the formal competition the Kingdom
        went to a system of Regional Faires, and a Kingdom Faire. As I've been
        told, this had two purposes, one, the Mid being huge, it made the Faire(s)
        of a manageable size, and two, it made sure that at the Kingdom level we had
        enough trained and expert judges available for each entry on the day of the
        comp (which is always the day before the spring crown tournament).

        I think someone mentioned that in the mid you are competing against the
        criteria, not the other entries, so it is very possible a category might
        have 5 or more first places, and no 2nd, 3rd, or honorable mention. In
        effect, it's more of a feedback system with numbers (and a certain amount of
        prestige) attached, than a zero-sum competition.

        It's not a perfect system (I personally think there is no way to have a
        'perfect' A&S competition) but we try. If you live in the Mid and intend to
        enter please note: there are new procedures this year, including on-line
        pre-registration.

        I might also mention we have plenty of non-competitive venues for artisans
        as well, the regions and Kingdom have "Craftsperson's Faires" in the fall
        which have the sole entry requirement of "bring your stuff." There are also
        period specific venues at Kingdom 12th Night, Royal University of the
        Midrealm (RUM) and other events.

        If any Midrealmers out there have any questions about the upcoming Faires,
        please feel free to email me, mckennawerks at hughesdotnet if I can't answer
        your question, I _will_ get you an answer.

        Regards,

        McKenna

        Middle Marches MoAS

        North Oaken RMoAS