Re: Only three to go!

  • Maggie
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
      Outlands Kingdom A&S is this coming weekend. I'll have flyers with
      me and will be spreading the word. Hopefully we'll see a few more
      Outlanders take on the Challenge!

      Lyssa

      --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Albreda Aylese"
      <AlbredaA@...> wrote:

      > In looking at our ever-growing list of Challengers, it looked like
      we
      > had most of the Kingdoms represented, and we have *16* so far! No
      one
      > is *officially* signed up from the Kingdoms of Calontir,
      Ealdormere, or
      > Meridies, so if you are on this list and NOT yet in the Database
      (as is
      > the case for just over half of you), PLEASE sign-up for the
      Challenge
      > in the Contact Info database on our yahoosite, especially if you
      are
      > from one of these Kingdoms!
      >
      > We have pretty low numbers from several other Kingdoms too, so
      think
      > about taking some fliers to A&S events near you, and maybe you can
      get
      > some other local folks interested on joining you in the Challenge!
      The
      > more the merrier! (And let me know if you are interested in
      becoming
      > Kingdom Coordinator for your Kingdom - we only have KC's for a
      handful
      > of Kingdoms so far!)
      >
      > Albreda

    • Racaire
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
        My dear lady Albreda,

        I will be at our next Coronation event (this will be also the 15 year
        anniversary for our kingdom Drachenwald :) and I am thinking about
        taking some fliers with me - but I have a question: where can I download
        them?

        Warm regards
        Racaire :)
        Drachenwald

        Albreda Aylese schrieb:
        > In looking at our ever-growing list of Challengers, it looked like we
        > had most of the Kingdoms represented, and we have *16* so far! No one
        > is *officially* signed up from the Kingdoms of Calontir, Ealdormere, or
        > Meridies, so if you are on this list and NOT yet in the Database (as is
        > the case for just over half of you), PLEASE sign-up for the Challenge
        > in the Contact Info database on our yahoosite, especially if you are
        > from one of these Kingdoms!
        >
        > We have pretty low numbers from several other Kingdoms too, so think
        > about taking some fliers to A&S events near you, and maybe you can get
        > some other local folks interested on joining you in the Challenge! The
        > more the merrier! (And let me know if you are interested in becoming
        > Kingdom Coordinator for your Kingdom - we only have KC's for a handful
        > of Kingdoms so far!)
        >
        > Albreda

      • Albreda Aylese
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
          --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Racaire <ego@...>
          wrote:

          > My dear lady Albreda,
          >
          > I will be at our next Coronation event (this will be also the 15 year
          > anniversary for our kingdom Drachenwald :) and I am thinking about
          > taking some fliers with me - but I have a question: where can I
          download
          > them?
          >
          > Warm regards
          > Racaire :)
          > Drachenwald

          Good Question! You can download them from our files section on the
          yahoogroup site! I still haven't tinkered with the spacing, for which
          I apologize; basically the printing comes out looking lopsided, but the
          info is still all on there!!

          Will having the fliers in just English work, or should we try and find
          folks who can translate them for us? What languages do you think we'd
          want, if we did? French, German, Spanish? Italian?

          Albreda (and congrats on 15 years as a Kingdom!!! I often see both a
          Viscount and Viscountess from when you were an Eastern Principality!)
        • Racaire
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
            Thank you very much for your fast answer :)

            There are a lot of great artisans in Aarnimetsä (Finland), Nordmwark
            (Sweden), Insulae Draconis (Great Britain) and central region (Germany +
            Austria,...) maybe Finnish, Swedish and German could be interesting at
            the moment (our Italian and Spanish groups are rather small at the
            moment as well as the French group and the Swiss group, as far as I know
            - therefore I think a translation into this languages is not very useful
            at the moment).
            Concerning the German language I could do the translation if the text
            isn't to difficult, concerning the Swedish and Finnish translation I
            could ask the members of the Dragon's Needle Embroidery Guild if someone
            would like to do the translations.

            Eastern Principality - that was lonnnnnnggggggggg before I became a
            member... :)

            Warm regards
            Racaire

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 9, 2008
              wrote:

              > Thank you very much for your fast answer :)
              >
              > There are a lot of great artisans in Aarnimetsä (Finland),
              Nordmwark
              > (Sweden), Insulae Draconis (Great Britain) and central region
              (Germany +
              > Austria,...) maybe Finnish, Swedish and German could be interesting
              at
              > the moment (our Italian and Spanish groups are rather small at the
              > moment as well as the French group and the Swiss group, as far as I
              know
              > - therefore I think a translation into this languages is not very
              useful
              > at the moment).
              > Concerning the German language I could do the translation if the
              text
              > isn't to difficult, concerning the Swedish and Finnish translation
              > could ask the members of the Dragon's Needle Embroidery Guild if
              someone
              > would like to do the translations.

              **HEY MALIN - what do you think? Do we need the flier translated
              into Swedish, or do most of your fellow Swedish Scadians speak/read
              enough English that it wouldn't be useful?

              > Eastern Principality - that was lonnnnnnggggggggg before I became a
              > member...

              Not me - I remember thinking it was cool to be the biggest Kingdom in
              the Knowne World. ;) We've had so many successful principalities
              splinter off over the years though, that is most decidedly no longer
              the case!

              Albreda
            • bippimalin
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 10, 2008
                Hi there!

                > **HEY MALIN - what do you think? Do we need the flier translated
                > into Swedish, or do most of your fellow Swedish Scadians speak/read
                > enough English that it wouldn't be useful?

                I'd say most swedes are fluent enough in english to not need an english
                flyer translated. We even have commercials in english on the TV despite
                the channels being primarily swedish speaking. :)
                However there are always some that aren't very fluent at all; either
                they are old and haven't studied it much, are dyslectic, have no
                talent, had a bad teacher or just haven't payed attention in school.

                I can translate the text to Swedish if you Albreda or Racaire would
                like me to. :)

                YIS / Malin
              • Racaire

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 10, 2008
                    --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "bippimalin"
                    <bippimalin@...> wrote:

                    > Hi there!
                    >
                    > > **HEY MALIN - what do you think? Do we need the flier translated
                    > > into Swedish, or do most of your fellow Swedish Scadians
                    speak/read
                    > > enough English that it wouldn't be useful?
                    >
                    > I'd say most swedes are fluent enough in english to not need an
                    english
                    > flyer translated. We even have commercials in english on the TV
                    despite
                    > the channels being primarily swedish speaking. :)
                    > However there are always some that aren't very fluent at all;
                    either
                    > they are old and haven't studied it much, are dyslectic, have no
                    > talent, had a bad teacher or just haven't payed attention in
                    school.

                    > I can translate the text to Swedish if you Albreda or Racaire would
                    > like me to. :)
                    >
                    > YIS / Malin

                    Thanks for the input, Malin! Based on what you and Racaire have
                    said, it sounds like we should focus our translation efforts on
                    German and maybe Finnish, then? I think that a French version would
                    be lovely for potential Challengers in Quebec, even if we don't need
                    it for Europe. Anyone up to taking on these translations???

                    Albreda (who speaks a little French, and ASL, but that's it!)
                  • Racaire
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 10, 2008
                      I think a translation into Finnish would be a great idea because as far
                      as I know most of the guild members from Finnland are more comfortable
                      with Finnish than with English (the local guild head translates most of
                      the membership requests into English for me - I could ask her if she or
                      someone she knows would be willing to translate the flier :) )

                      Bussi
                      Raca

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 10, 2008
                        Excellent! So we have little need for the Swedish, and someone who
                        can do it if we need it (Malin), someone who will do the German
                        (Racaire), and a possible lead on someone who could do the Finnish!
                        Wahoo!

                        Anyone want to do the Quebec French??

                        Albreda

                        wrote:

                        > I think a translation into Finnish would be a great idea because as
                        far
                        > as I know most of the guild members from Finnland are more
                        comfortable
                        > with Finnish than with English (the local guild head translates
                        most of
                        > the membership requests into English for me - I could ask her if
                        she or
                        > someone she knows would be willing to translate the flier :) )

                      • anneofsw
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 1, 2010
                          Greetings from the north - I am from Ealdormere. I don't know if that constitutes 'officially signed up' but I'm on this list. If signed up means signed up for the challenge, I haven't ventured that far yet but am thinking about it.
                          Anne of Saffron Walden

                        • AlbredaA@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 1, 2010
                            In a message dated 5/1/2010 1:47:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            wpmaurice@... writes:

                            Greetings from the north - I am from Ealdormere. I don't know if that
                            constitutes 'officially signed up' but I'm on this list. If signed up means
                            signed up for the challenge, I haven't ventured that far yet but am thinking
                            about it.
                            Anne of Saffron Walden

                            We DO have folks from Ealdormere - hurray for more!

                            Welcome aboard!

                          • Elewyiss the Jew
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 1, 2010
                              I'm from Meridies, and I represent a whole guild. And Amelia is from
                              Meridies. I thought there were a lot of us here.

                              Elewyiss

                              On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:32 PM, <AlbredaA@...> wrote:

                              > In a message dated 5/1/2010 1:47:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              > wpmaurice@... <wpmaurice%40csolve.net> writes:
                              >
                              > Greetings from the north - I am from Ealdormere. I don't know if that
                              > constitutes 'officially signed up' but I'm on this list. If signed up means
                              >
                              > signed up for the challenge, I haven't ventured that far yet but am
                              > thinking
                              > about it.
                              > Anne of Saffron Walden
                              >
                              > We DO have folks from Ealdormere - hurray for more!
                              >
                              > Welcome aboard!
                              > Albreda

                              Ro'ah Chatulim

                            • Jacintha of Highland Foorde
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 1, 2010
                                Ah, but the point is you're not in the database... In the yahoo group
                                website, there's a spot to go to 'join' and put yourself in the
                                database.
                                Jacintha
                                (Lurker from Highland Foorde, Atlantia)
                                --
                                Lady Jacintha of Highland Foorde
                                Chancellor Minor - Barony of Highland Foorde

                                * Nam in dando recipimus *
                                * For it is in giving that we receive *
                                * Francis of Assisi 1185-1226 *

                                On 5/1/10, Elewyiss the Jew <elewyiss@...> wrote:
                                > I'm from Meridies, and I represent a whole guild. And Amelia is from
                                > Meridies. I thought there were a lot of us here.
                                >
                                > Elewyiss

                              • Elewyiss the Jew
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 1, 2010
                                  I thought I was in the database. I remember registering the guild. I will
                                  look at it when I get home and off net nanny. (Cus we all know how
                                  subversive Yahoogroups is.)

                                  Elewyiss

                                  --
                                  Ro'ah Chatulim

                                • Honour Horne-Jaruk
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 1, 2010
                                    Respected friends:
                                    I just put myself in the database.
                                    I'm also well on my way to finishing old project # 3; carding and spinning what was once a champion chocolate-brown hogget fleece. It's been fiendishly difficult since the wool is now brittle and dry... (Go and do thou _not_  likewise.)

                                    Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-

                                    (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.

                                    Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

                                    FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES: SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS

                                  • D'vorah bint al-Attar
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 1, 2010
                                      On 1 May 2010, at 5:24 PM, Jacintha of Highland Foorde wrote:

                                      > Ah, but the point is you're not in the database... In the yahoo group
                                      > website, there's a spot to go to 'join' and put yourself in the
                                      > database.
                                      > Jacintha

                                      I must be slow, because I'm not seeing anything that says "join." Does that mean I already joined, or that I'm not reading correctly? I just see these databases:

                                      Challenger Contact Info

                                      Who's collecting what links
                                      Sign-up to collect links and resources on any A&S subject!

                                      Proof Readers
                                      proof reader contact list

                                      SCA Library
                                      Recomended Reading List for SCA Research

                                      Challenge Buddies
                                      Motivation partners for a six-month term

                                      So, what am I missing?
                                      D'vorah bint al-Attar
                                      Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                                      dvorah@...
                                      Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
                                    • J.H. Grace
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 1, 2010
                                        Put your contact info in the contact info database and you're in.

                                        Hugh

                                        --
                                        In collatione informatica ululans audiri non potest.

                                        Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
                                        Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/
                                      • Elewyiss
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 1, 2010
                                          Ok, I checked, I"m in there, Jerusha is in there and the Guild is in there. So Meridies has represented. I"m sure there are other citizens but those are the 3 I checked.

                                          Elewyiss

                                          --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Elewyiss the Jew <elewyiss@...> wrote:

                                          > I thought I was in the database. I remember registering the guild. I will
                                          > look at it when I get home and off net nanny. (Cus we all know how
                                          > subversive Yahoogroups is.)
                                          >
                                          > Elewyiss
                                          >
                                          > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Jacintha of Highland Foorde <
                                          > jacintha74@...> wrote:
                                          >

                                          > > Ah, but the point is you're not in the database... In the yahoo group
                                          > > website, there's a spot to go to 'join' and put yourself in the
                                          > > database.
                                          > > Jacintha
                                          > > (Lurker from Highland Foorde, Atlantia)
                                          > > --
                                          > > Lady Jacintha of Highland Foorde
                                          > > Chancellor Minor - Barony of Highland Foorde
                                          > > jacintha74@... <jacintha74%40gmail.com>
                                          > >
                                          > > * Nam in dando recipimus *
                                          > > * For it is in giving that we receive *
                                          > > * Francis of Assisi 1185-1226 *
                                          > >

                                          > > On 5/1/10, Elewyiss the Jew <elewyiss@... <elewyiss%40gmail.com>>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > > > I'm from Meridies, and I represent a whole guild. And Amelia is from
                                          > > > Meridies. I thought there were a lot of us here.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Elewyiss
                                          > > >

                                          > --
                                          > Ro'ah Chatulim

                                        • Diane
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 3, 2010
                                            Actually, I have been in for quite a while and I'm from Harrowgate Heath in Ealdormere. Two of my apprentices are also working on challenges, though I don't know whether they have officially signed on.

                                            Siglinde
                                            http://www.siglindesarts.wordpress.com

                                            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "anneofsw" <wpmaurice@...> wrote:

                                            > Greetings from the north - I am from Ealdormere. I don't know if that constitutes 'officially signed up' but I'm on this list. If signed up means signed up for the challenge, I haven't ventured that far yet but am thinking about it.
                                            > Anne of Saffron Walden
                                            >
                                            > > > In looking at our ever-growing list of Challengers, it looked like we
                                            > > > had most of the Kingdoms represented, and we have *16* so far! No one
                                            > > > is *officially* signed up from the Kingdoms of Calontir, Ealdormere, or
                                            > > > Meridies, so if you are on this list and NOT yet in the Database (as is
                                            > > > the case for just over half of you), PLEASE sign-up for the Challenge
                                            > > > in the Contact Info database on our yahoosite, especially if you are
                                            > > > from one of these Kingdoms!

                                          • anneofsw
                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                              Yayyyy (documented!) Siglinde
                                              I was confusing signing in here with signing in on the database for the actual challenge. In fact, when I went to 'officially' sign up, I found 4 or 5 others from Ealdormere already there - we are a small but growing group but Ealdormere is definitely one of the kingdoms represented. Thanks
                                              Anne

                                              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <harper.diane@...> wrote:
                                              > Actually, I have been in for quite a while and I'm from Harrowgate Heath in Ealdormere. Two of my apprentices are also working on challenges, though I don't know whether they have officially signed on.
                                              > Siglinde
                                            • Jac
                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                                And this begs the question... What kingdoms are NOT represented? Perhaps this is an oversight of not singing into the database of challengers and can easily be recitified.
                                                Jacintha (Atlantia)

                                                --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "anneofsw" <wpmaurice@...> wrote:

                                                > Yayyyy (documented!) Siglinde
                                                > I was confusing signing in here with signing in on the database for the actual challenge. In fact, when I went to 'officially' sign up, I found 4 or 5 others from Ealdormere already there - we are a small but growing group but Ealdormere is definitely one of the kingdoms represented. Thanks
                                                > Anne
                                                >
                                                > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <harper.diane@> wrote:
                                                > > Actually, I have been in for quite a while and I'm from Harrowgate Heath in Ealdormere. Two of my apprentices are also working on challenges, though I don't know whether they have officially signed on.
                                                > > Siglinde

                                              • Karen Tricomo
                                                Message 23 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                                  Please forgive my ignorance, but how does one check to make sure they're "officially signed up" as opposed to just members of this Yahoo groups list??

                                                  Catherine HofA

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , May 4, 2010
                                                    Just look in the database section under challengers at the yahoo group.
                                                    Jacintha