the first letter is blogged

  • McKenna
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2010
      Greetings all,

      In an effort to support "persona play" in the SCA my Depth Challenge is to
      write a series of fifty brief 'in persona' letters to my "nephew" in the
      style of the late Elizabethan era. The letters will inform the reader of
      some aspect of medieval life that they may find useful in integrating into
      their own persona, or as a springboard to research into similar matters.

      The first letter and a more detailed explication are up at:
      <http://uncletravelingmckenna.blogspot.com>

      We may never know the reason for Uncle Kenna's journey, but by implication
      he is traveling on business of his patron the Earl of Stafford. Possibly he
      is simply trying to avoid trouble in London; as he mentions he is recusant
      (a practicing Roman Catholic who has refused to join the Church of England).

      Originally I intended the letters to range from the 13th to 16th centuries
      in no particular order of location. My own persona is an alchemist,
      philosopher, courtier and poet, the time and place vary on mood and what
      garb I feel like wearing. I still don't feel constrained to slavish
      adherence to the space-time continuum of our shared objective historical
      reality, but I have decided it is more in the spirit of the AS 50 Challenge
      if the letters may follow a logical and chronological route and pattern.

      I have several letters written, and several more in advanced states or
      research, but they will be posted every month or so until the Big Day in AS
      50.

      Feedback is appreciated.

      McKenna
    • Chris Taylor
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 17, 2010
        Great idea!

        I created a similar idea as a single document for Caid's Pentathlon. This
        series of letters and accounts were from a fictional Tudor gentlewoman. I
        explored the running of an estate and the religious history of about a
        decade. If you are interested, here is the link to the PDF:
        http://caitlinscrossroad.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_Margaret_Wynter.pdf

        For those of you who prefer to bring up the web page and then click on the
        PDF link you can go here:
        http://caitlinscrossroad.com/229/period-journal/

        I'll be very interested to read about your persona's progress!

        Warmly,
        Caitlin

        Caitlin Christiana Wintour, OL
        Ad augusta per angusta (To high places by narrow roads)

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 17, 2010
          Excellent piece, I enjoyed it! But Margaret was daring to pen some of those
          thoughts while Mary still sat the throne.

          McKenna

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 17, 2010
            Ah yes, but only in her Sooper-Sekret diary! Margaret was no fool. ;>

            Caitlin (and thanks for the kind words!)