Drought

  • Andrea AskenDunn
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
      Greetings, fellow travelers!

      Unless I have been dropped off the face of the Challenge, there hasn't been
      a lot of action here lately.

      In my life, too, I have been too busy and preoccupied to spend much time
      working on my list, which is just as long as it was 6 months ago! Ouch!

      But this month I am doing my first NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month,
      in case you don't know; write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November.
      Yes, I am insane, why do you ask?). So instead of writing the fantasy novel
      I have in my head, I decided to attack the Challenge and figure out all
      kinds of Persona details that have been stymying (sp?) me for the last few
      years. I keep thinking I need to do more research. But in fact, I have
      already done a lot, I can do more when something specific comes up in the
      writing, and at some point I am just going to have to wing it. So I am
      winging it.

      I am just telling you all this to make it harder for me to quit. But I will
      let you know what I discover about myself, if you are interested. (If not,
      just skip my posts, I guess. ;-) Discovery number one: I have a maid who is
      always spouting proverbs. (Don't they all?)

      Cheers!
      Asther de Perpinya

      "au four et au moulin"

    • Johnna Holloway
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
        There was an article about the Challenge here:
        http://www.danscomputing.com/MidrealmAS/

        Been several displays this fall in the Midrealm.

        Johnnae

        On Nov 2, 2010, at 3:44 PM, Andrea AskenDunn wrote:

        > Greetings, fellow travelers!
        >
        > Unless I have been dropped off the face of the Challenge, there
        > hasn't been
        > a lot of action here lately.

      • Andrea AskenDunn
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
          Wonderful newsletter! I didn't mean that other people were not working, just
          that there seemed to be less interaction on this list than there was at one
          time.
          Asther

          On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae@...> wrote:

          > There was an article about the Challenge here:
          > http://www.danscomputing.com/MidrealmAS/
          >
          > Been several displays this fall in the Midrealm.
          >
          > Johnnae
          >

          > On Nov 2, 2010, at 3:44 PM, Andrea AskenDunn wrote:
          >
          > > Greetings, fellow travelers!
          > >
          > > Unless I have been dropped off the face of the Challenge, there
          > > hasn't been
          > > a lot of action here lately.

        • Karen Tricomo
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
            Meee toooo!!!!!   Different from your approach though, I AM going to be
            attacking the Medieval "adventure/romance" novel I've had in my head (since
            JrHigh) and even tho I've started writing parts of it (apparently NaNoWriMo
            wants the material to be fresh, starting from scratch), I'm taking the
            challenge anyway so I can learn to JUST WRITE IT ALREADY!  I'm a notorious
            self-editor and can waste days going over already-written parts and fixing the
            grammar, adding this or that, etc...and I've also basically stagnated myself for
            the rest of it with the notion that "I can't write this yet bcuz I've not
            researched *whatever* enough to know what I'm talking about"... I've been told
            JUST WRITE IT for years so whether or not I'm holding true to the full intent
            of this thing, I'm going to at least see how much farther I get with 50,000
            more words down (to give you an idea, my "Not Yets", or parts that are written
            before they can fit into the main body before it, for "part three" are already
            at 25,600+ words).  As you said, I can always fill in the researched details
            later, so here's to "winging it"!

            GOOD LUCK TO US BOTH!!!
            Catherine Holcombe of Arden
            Mists Principality, West Kingdom

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
              Speaking of a drought, has anyone heard from our lovely
              lady-in-chief recently?

              Alban
            • Monica Herchick
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
                Greetings from the shores of the murky waters of Northeastern Ohio

                Since I have not yet posted, please allow me a brief introduction.  In the SCA,
                I am Lady Brigit Macha Ruadh, of Bard's Haven.  I am a woman of mature years
                (whether I act like it or not is beside the point), and have been officially
                playing since 1986.  I have not competed, since most of my works have been put
                to immediate use.
                I am participating to finally create a portfolio.  While I have done a great
                deal in the area of arts and crafts, I have documented none of it!  So, tada,
                here I am.

                My first objective is to make a complete period outfit, as much as possible, as
                accurately as possible.  To that end, I have finished a handful of bone
                needles.  Lacking the facilities raise sheep, cotton, or flax, the financial
                ability to purchase a loom, nor the space to set one up, I am looking for
                material that will be suitable to proceed with my project.  Can anyone suggest
                an relatively inexpensive resource for linen or wool fabric of accurate weave
                and width?  As my household has been hit HARD by the economic downturns, cost is
                a factor.  I will barter, if preferred.
                Input is quite welcome.  I'm hoping to be doing some dying soon!

                Warm regards,

                Monica R. Amende-Herchick

                "A wise man changes his mind, a fool never."  Spanish Proverb

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
                  Good for you Asther! I love using the novel challenge to do this. I have
                  also been thinking about getting back to my Challenge list. I invariably
                  find something that I actually have done and forgot was on my list. That's
                  always a good feeling.

                  I look forward to reading what you've done!

                  Caitlin

                  Caitlin Christiana Wintour, OL
                  Ad augusta per angusta (To high places by narrow roads)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2010
                    She's been away on family matters, but is back now and will probably
                    catch up on all her assorted mail in the next few weeks.

                    Hugh

                    --
                    In collatione informatica ululans audiri non potest.

                    Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
                    Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/
                  • Andrea AskenDunn
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2010
                      Greetings, and welcome, my lady!
                      Are you familiar with fabrics-store.com? They have linens in different
                      weaves and different weights:
                      http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=fabric_type&menu=f&fabric_type=1
                      And sometimes things on sale. And they will send sample swatches.
                      For wool, you would have to look somewhere else. Lots of people seem to have
                      wool, but I don't know where they get it.
                      Good luck!
                      Asther de Perpinya

                      On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Monica Herchick <maqshov@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings from the shores of the murky waters of Northeastern Ohio
                      >
                      > Since I have not yet posted, please allow me a brief introduction. In the
                      > SCA,
                      > I am Lady Brigit Macha Ruadh, of Bard's Haven. I am a woman of mature
                      > years
                      > (whether I act like it or not is beside the point), and have been
                      > officially
                      > playing since 1986. I have not competed, since most of my works have been
                      > put
                      > to immediate use.
                      > I am participating to finally create a portfolio. While I have done a
                      > great
                      > deal in the area of arts and crafts, I have documented none of it! So,
                      > tada,
                      > here I am.
                      >
                      > My first objective is to make a complete period outfit, as much as
                      > possible, as
                      > accurately as possible. To that end, I have finished a handful of bone
                      > needles. Lacking the facilities raise sheep, cotton, or flax, the
                      > financial
                      > ability to purchase a loom, nor the space to set one up, I am looking for
                      > material that will be suitable to proceed with my project. Can anyone
                      > suggest
                      > an relatively inexpensive resource for linen or wool fabric of accurate
                      > weave
                      > and width? As my household has been hit HARD by the economic downturns,
                      > cost is
                      > a factor. I will barter, if preferred.
                      > Input is quite welcome. I'm hoping to be doing some dying soon!
                      >
                      > Warm regards,
                      >
                      > Monica R. Amende-Herchick
                      >
                      > "A wise man changes his mind, a fool never." Spanish Proverb
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Andrea AskenDunn
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2010
                        Greetings Lady Catherine.
                        Yes, I am a slow writer for the same reasons. Our approaches are not really
                        so different though. I am writing mine as a historical novel (hence the need
                        for ever more research. I am an expert procrastinator) but I have only been
                        working on it for about 7 years. :-)
                        Anyway, being forced to JUST WRITE IT, I have already "discovered" several
                        useful details about my life.
                        Yay for us!
                        Asther de Perpinya
                        (Province of Malagentia, Kingdom of the East)