RE: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Do Laurels compete?

  • Anthony Satoh
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
      When you state "...though they may compete in areas that are new skills for them. " do you mean to say that most laurels would not compete in an area which they have expertise in?

      If a person receives a laurel for costuming, they would no longer submit any garb entries?
      Clearly I am not a laurel, but that seemed a little odd to me.
      I would think that a person who has professesed and has demonstrated expertise in a certain area would most certainly want to continue demonstrating their hard earned talent by submitting new entries even if it is in an area which is not new to them. I would hope that those who have the talent and experience would continue to enter items if for no other reason than to raise the bar for the rest of society.

      I don't understand why one would say "I'm really good at this, but I've received a laurel for this talent and therefore I won't submit it"

      -Ercc

      To: aands50challengecommunity@yahoogroups.com
      From: harper.diane@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 02:11:15 +0000
      Subject: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Do Laurels compete?

      In Ealdormere they often do not, though they may compete in areas that are new skills for them. A few of us are thinking this is silly and encouraging each other to enter more. We have an obligation to show leadership and encourage the arts - this is a huge part of what gives our game educational non-profit status. If we don't show what we are doing, we risk being perceived as resting on our laurels, and this is the only oreshe that seems to have a problem with continuing to demonstrate the skills that got them elevated in the first place. I know there are other ways, but A&S is an important too. As a comparison, what knight in his or her right mind would give up fighting once they have their spurs?

      Siglinde in Ealdormere
      Stepping down from her soap box now

    • k.harjamaki@mchsi.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
        I would think that the easiest way to convince laurels to compete is to split the judging into two categories (or more depending on your needs): laurel division and everybody else. This sets "the bar" higher for laurels - a certain level of expertise would be expected, but it eliminates the concerns that beginners or intermediate skill level people may have about competing against laurels.

        Aveline