Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Do Laurels compete?

  • Bphall76
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2010
      Out here in An Tir, Laurels do compete regularly at kingdom level. At Baronial or Shire it depends on the Laurel and branch. In my Barony, we have only one Laurel currently active. She has competed at kingdom A&S (I don't recall if it was before or after her elevation).

      Vasilisa Myshkina
      Glymm Mere, An Tir

    • Anthony Satoh
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
        When you state "...though they may compete in areas that are new skills for them. " do you mean to say that most laurels would not compete in an area which they have expertise in?

        If a person receives a laurel for costuming, they would no longer submit any garb entries?
        Clearly I am not a laurel, but that seemed a little odd to me.
        I would think that a person who has professesed and has demonstrated expertise in a certain area would most certainly want to continue demonstrating their hard earned talent by submitting new entries even if it is in an area which is not new to them. I would hope that those who have the talent and experience would continue to enter items if for no other reason than to raise the bar for the rest of society.

        I don't understand why one would say "I'm really good at this, but I've received a laurel for this talent and therefore I won't submit it"

        -Ercc

        To: aands50challengecommunity@yahoogroups.com
        From: harper.diane@...
        Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 02:11:15 +0000
        Subject: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Do Laurels compete?

        In Ealdormere they often do not, though they may compete in areas that are new skills for them. A few of us are thinking this is silly and encouraging each other to enter more. We have an obligation to show leadership and encourage the arts - this is a huge part of what gives our game educational non-profit status. If we don't show what we are doing, we risk being perceived as resting on our laurels, and this is the only oreshe that seems to have a problem with continuing to demonstrate the skills that got them elevated in the first place. I know there are other ways, but A&S is an important too. As a comparison, what knight in his or her right mind would give up fighting once they have their spurs?

        Siglinde in Ealdormere
        Stepping down from her soap box now

      • k.harjamaki@mchsi.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
          I would think that the easiest way to convince laurels to compete is to split the judging into two categories (or more depending on your needs): laurel division and everybody else. This sets "the bar" higher for laurels - a certain level of expertise would be expected, but it eliminates the concerns that beginners or intermediate skill level people may have about competing against laurels.

          Aveline