entering unfinished item in A&S competition

  • oisswafford
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
      My shire is having an A&S competition soon. I was planning to enter an embroidered purse but it isn't done yet. The embroidery is only about half done and there is no way I will have time to finish it before the competition. I have been encouraged to enter the embroidery as a work in progress. However, I don't know how to do that. Should I note what it will be when finished in the documentation? Should I just ignore the finished project and talk about the embroidery?

      Any help would be appreciated. I can't ask the people who encouraged me to enter because they are coordinating the competition and that just seems weird to me.

      Thank you
      Gwenlliana Clutterbooke
    • Euriol of Lothian
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
        I would recommend entering and have the focus on the documentation be on the
        embroidery, but do speak of what the final item is to be and your plans on how
        it will be completed.

        You may receive some good feedback from the judges on what you've done so far
        and what you plan to do. And I would highly recommend seeking out the judges
        after the competition to answer and questions that they may have or you may
        have.

        Euriol

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
          Perhaps the emphasis for this activity is to get the populace to show
          what it is they do and
          what A&S activities are being pursuing.
          So a work in progress shows you are serious about embroidery. Go
          ahead, display, and seek comments.
          You might pick up great advice or more likely meet others who share
          your interests.

          Johnnae

        • kitefella@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
            I would urge you to enter it, taking note in your source material that it is unfinished. Talk about what you've done, how it was done, and how it compares to the source material. Then, explain what remains to be completed, and how you intend to accomplish it.
            Go for it!

            Archer

            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "oisswafford" <oisswafford@...> wrote:

            > My shire is having an A&S competition soon. I was planning to enter an embroidered purse but it isn't done yet. The embroidery is only about half done and there is no way I will have time to finish it before the competition. I have been encouraged to enter the embroidery as a work in progress. However, I don't know how to do that. Should I note what it will be when finished in the documentation? Should I just ignore the finished project and talk about the embroidery?
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated. I can't ask the people who encouraged me to enter because they are coordinating the competition and that just seems weird to me.
            >
            > Thank you
            > Gwenlliana Clutterbooke

          • Rev. Rhiannon Melanson
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
              Just because they are organizing the competition does not mean they are
              judging it. Can't hurt to ask.

              In service to the Dream,
              Rhiannon Morgaine
              "Argent, a dragon purpure between four roses in cross proper"

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 29, 2010
                > Gwenlliana Clutterbooke

                > My shire is having an A&S competition soon. I was planning to enter
                > an embroidered purse but it isn't done yet. The embroidery is only
                > about half done and there is no way I will have time to finish it
                > before the competition. I have been encouraged to enter the
                > embroidery as a work in progress. However, I don't know how to do
                > that. Should I note what it will be when finished in the
                > documentation? Should I just ignore the finished project and talk
                > about the embroidery?

                I'd recommend that you document the way you would normally (what is
                it, where it comes from, what appeals, what is diffferent from any
                extant examples and why etc). Add a para about it being unfhinished
                due to time constraints but that you plan to x, y and z -- this
                demonstrates that you know where you are going.

                eg. I have competed half the blackwork but the fabric remains on the
                frame as the embroicdery needs more work. When finished I plan to
                handsew it with a linen lining as a two-part Elizbethan sleeve based
                on the example in Janet Arnold yadda yadda.

                Most judges would far rather see an unfinished item than no item at
                all! And it's frustrating when you miss a deadline and by the time
                the next opportunity comes round to show your work you think it's too
                old, you've worn it too often, you're sick to death of it....

                Another question about comps for y'all -- do Laurels enter A&S
                competitions in your Kingdom at any level? I'm getting the impression
                that it's not the done thing, and am trying to figure out if that's a
                local social more or Society-wide.

                Cheers,
                katherine

                =====================================
                katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
                Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
                mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
                bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
                Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz
              • Kathy Haverinen
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 29, 2010
                  To answer the 'Do Laurels enter competions' question...

                  Here in An Tir they do.  I recently ran our Baronial A&S Champion competition
                  and we had a fine Laurel compete.  They may not do it frequently but I have seen
                  them compete.

                  Katheryn de Gonneville
                  Courtier to Baroness Elspeth of Blatha An Oir

                  ________________________________
                  > My shire is having an A&S competition soon. I was planning to enter
                  > an embroidered purse but it isn't done yet. The embroidery is only
                  > about half done and there is no way I will have time to finish it
                  > before the competition. I have been encouraged to enter the
                  > embroidery as a work in progress. However, I don't know how to do
                  > that. Should I note what it will be when finished in the
                  > documentation? Should I just ignore the finished project and talk
                  > about the embroidery?

                  I'd recommend that you document the way you would normally (what is
                  it, where it comes from, what appeals, what is diffferent from any
                  extant examples and why etc). Add a para about it being unfhinished
                  due to time constraints but that you plan to x, y and z -- this
                  demonstrates that you know where you are going.

                  eg. I have competed half the blackwork but the fabric remains on the
                  frame as the embroicdery needs more work. When finished I plan to
                  handsew it with a linen lining as a two-part Elizbethan sleeve based
                  on the example in Janet Arnold yadda yadda.

                  Most judges would far rather see an unfinished item than no item at
                  all! And it's frustrating when you miss a deadline and by the time
                  the next opportunity comes round to show your work you think it's too
                  old, you've worn it too often, you're sick to death of it....

                  Another question about comps for y'all -- do Laurels enter A&S
                  competitions in your Kingdom at any level? I'm getting the impression
                  that it's not the done thing, and am trying to figure out if that's a
                  local social more or Society-wide.

                  Cheers,
                  katherine

                  =====================================
                  katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
                  Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
                  mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
                  bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
                  Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz

                • Lyssa
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010
                    Laurels do enter here in the Outlands. Sometimes their participation is scarce due to the nature of a competition needing a sponsor of a grant level arts award or a Laurel but even in those competitions there are still Laurel entrants. To help encourage Laurels to enter locally where they can feel they are intimidating the newer artisans or might have a conflict if they are also judging, this year will include a display and separate category for Laurels in the baronial A&S on Saturday. Haven't heard how the pre-registration for entries is going on that but I'd expect a few folks to enter at least.

                    Lyssa
                    Outlands

                    --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Hyde" <vicki@...> wrote:

                    <clip>
                    > Another question about comps for y'all -- do Laurels enter A&S
                    > competitions in your Kingdom at any level? I'm getting the impression
                    > that it's not the done thing, and am trying to figure out if that's a
                    > local social more or Society-wide.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > katherine

                  • oisswafford
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
                      Thank you all for your help. The competition is this weekend and its the first one I've ever entered. Luckily, I did the research for my piece before I started because I just like research...

                      Gwenlliana
                    • oisswafford
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2010
                        I want to thank everyone who answered my question on how to document a work in progress for a competition. I entered and won my shire defendership. If you are curious, pictures and a link to my documentation can be found here: http://clutterbooke.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/artsy-fartsy-dm-defender/

                        Thanks again.

                        Gwenlliana Clutterbooke