Greetings and Introduction

  • Krista Stafsholt
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 12, 2010
      Greetings unto all the industrious gentles of the A&S 50 challenge!

      I am THL Aveline femme Marc of the Shire of Vilku Urvas. I was recently (at
      BYOM in August) honored with the Order of Bridget's Flame which was a HUGE
      surprise! As such, I have challenged myself to prove (to myself) that it is
      well earned. I figured this would be a great way to do that! I have
      decided to do the Depth Challenge and Persona Challenge.

      I've decided to start with 50 garments that I have sewn. When I look back
      over the past two years, I can count 19 individual items already! (I sew a
      lot of clothes for people in my shire.) I may "up the challenge" and make
      it 50 outfits instead, in which case I'm at 9 completed.

      For my Persona Challenge I have researched my name and device (and will be
      submitting them soon), narrowed down my time period (roughly 1520), and have
      been looking for garb which fits my time and region, as well as general
      French/English history of that era.

      I'm excited to join the challenge and look forward to hearing about the
      projects that everybody else has been working on.

      THL Aveline

    • Avacyn
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 12, 2010
        Week before last I tried my hand for the first time at dyeing with
        madder. I didn't get red but got a really lovely deep creamcycle orange
        that I like (I got some other oranges also, but this one I like best.)
        As I was cleaning some lovely chocolate brown llama wool the other day I
        got to thinking about how beautiful these two colors would go together.
        So my question: can I use llama wool and corridale sheeps wool in the
        same nalbinding project (both hand spun of course?) Or will I get funny
        shrinkage problems? Does anyone know?
        Thanks,
        Avacyn
      • Ted Eisenstein
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 12, 2010
          >I am THL Aveline femme Marc of the Shire of Vilku Urvas. I was recently (at
          >BYOM in August) honored with the Order of Bridget's Flame
          BYOM? Bridget's Flame? Definitions, please?

          Alban
        • Pamela Whitaker
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 12, 2010
            Avacyn,
            They will both felt, but maybe to a different degree (just like mixing different sheep wools because they felt to different degrees as well). A coupld of options, spin them together (or ply them together). If washed carefully enough you shouldn't notice too much shrinkage from either. Another thought, why not just call it a textural feature of the item if they do shrink differently. I am all for experimenting so I say give it a shot and see what happens. I have made a sweater with llama for the main part and sheep wool on the decorative yoke area and it was fine, but I washed it simply by soaking for both the wash and the rinse steps.
            Clarice Alienora

            To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 12, 2010
              >I am THL Aveline femme Marc of the Shire of Vilku Urvas. I was recently (at
              >BYOM in August) honored with the Order of Bridget's Flame
              BYOM? Bridget's Flame? Definitions, please?

              Alban

              _

              My apologies! I wasn't thinking about the fact that this list is not just
              for the Kingdom of Northshield. Please excuse my short-sightedness. BYOM
              is an event that is held in the Shire of Vilku Urvas (located in Northern
              Minnesota) every August. And the Order of Bridget's Flame is Northshield's
              grant level A&S award. Better? J

              Aveline

              .

              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=20801058/grpspId=1705126283/msgI
              d=7501/stime=1284351561/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

            • Ted Eisenstein
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 12, 2010
                >My apologies! I wasn't thinking about the fact that this list is not just
                >for the Kingdom of Northshield. Please excuse my short-sightedness.
                DOn't worry about it; we've all done it at least once.

                >BYOM is an event that is held in the Shire of Vilku Urvas (located in Northern
                >Minnesota) every August.
                What does BYOM stand for?

                Alban
              • Christine Taylor
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 13, 2010
                  Good greetings, Your Ladyship!

                  I love this group. I've been at a standstill lately due to work and school,
                  but I've started back to work (or play) on my persona's properties. I've
                  also started gathering a new flock of Norse stories for my dramatic
                  performances. I look forward to hearing more from you.

                  Warmly,
                  Caitlin

                  Caitlin Christiana Wintour, OL
                  Ad augusta per angusta (To high places by narrow roads)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 13, 2010
                    What does BYOM stand for?

                    Alban

                    BYOM means Bring Your Own...

                    Marshal if you want to fight.

                    Money if you want to shop.

                    Merchant if you want a place to spend that money.

                    Meat if you want to eat.

                    Music if you want to dance.

                    Mead if you want to drink.

                    And whatever else we could think of that started with an "M". It's a casual
                    camping event where the idea is that we will provide the space for whatever
                    types of activities you may want to do (except unfortunately for equestrian
                    or trebuchets) and you provide the rest. We do not schedule activities, but
                    if somebody says, "I feel like doing some archery," we will go get the
                    marshal and announce to the rest of the people that archery is about to
                    start. Very fun. very laid back. Hard to really describe what a fun filled
                    weekend it is when I start with "we don't schedule activities".

                    Aveline

                  • Elewyiss the Jew
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 13, 2010
                      I assumed it was Bring your own Minon.

                      Elewyiss

                      On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Krista Stafsholt <k.harjamaki@...>wrote:

                      > What does BYOM stand for?
                      >
                      > Alban
                      >
                      > BYOM means Bring Your Own...
                      >
                      > Marshal if you want to fight.
                      >
                      > Money if you want to shop.
                      >
                      > Merchant if you want a place to spend that money.
                      >
                      > Meat if you want to eat.
                      >
                      > Music if you want to dance.
                      >
                      > Mead if you want to drink.
                      >
                      > And whatever else we could think of that started with an "M". It's a casual
                      > camping event where the idea is that we will provide the space for whatever
                      > types of activities you may want to do (except unfortunately for equestrian
                      > or trebuchets) and you provide the rest. We do not schedule activities, but
                      > if somebody says, "I feel like doing some archery," we will go get the
                      > marshal and announce to the rest of the people that archery is about to
                      > start. Very fun. very laid back. Hard to really describe what a fun filled
                      > weekend it is when I start with "we don't schedule activities".
                      >
                      > Aveline

                      Ro'ah Chatulim

                    • Krista Stafsholt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 13, 2010
                        And if that's what would make the event enjoyable for you, go ahead! (As
                        long as it's legal).

                        LOL
                        Aveline

                        <k.harjamaki@...>wrote:

                        > What does BYOM stand for?
                        >
                        > Alban
                        >
                        > BYOM means Bring Your Own...
                        >
                        > Marshal if you want to fight.
                        >
                        > Money if you want to shop.
                        >
                        > Merchant if you want a place to spend that money.
                        >
                        > Meat if you want to eat.
                        >
                        > Music if you want to dance.
                        >
                        > Mead if you want to drink.
                        >
                        > And whatever else we could think of that started with an "M". It's a
                        casual
                        > camping event where the idea is that we will provide the space for
                        whatever
                        > types of activities you may want to do (except unfortunately for
                        equestrian
                        > or trebuchets) and you provide the rest. We do not schedule activities,
                        but
                        > if somebody says, "I feel like doing some archery," we will go get the
                        > marshal and announce to the rest of the people that archery is about to
                        > start. Very fun. very laid back. Hard to really describe what a fun filled
                        > weekend it is when I start with "we don't schedule activities".
                        >
                        > Aveline

                        Ro'ah Chatulim

                      • Elewyiss the Jew
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 13, 2010
                          WEll I was hoping someone would be selling them there. All my minons are
                          grown up now. And the new one is only 11 weeks old. Other than cuddles and
                          smiles he's not up to much.

                          On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Krista Stafsholt <k.harjamaki@...>wrote:

                          > And if that's what would make the event enjoyable for you, go ahead! (As
                          > long as it's legal).
                          >
                          > LOL
                          > Aveline

                          Ro'ah Chatulim

                        • Dee Cadoret
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 29, 2012
                            I am Kaolin of Harrowgate Heath( also called Kaolin of Harrowsheath),
                            Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere. I've been in the SCA since Jan 2011 and I
                            only found out about the challenge yesterday, while trying to find
                            resources for early period personae costuming.

                            My interests in A&S is varied and covers many different aspects from
                            woodworking to fibre arts. I am currently pursuing wood carving, wood
                            working, garb making, tablet weaving, wire work, illumination, shield
                            painting, and nalbinding.

                            I have done some embroidery, some banner painting, some shoemaking, and
                            some calligraphy in the last year and a half.

                            I still want to learn blacksmithing, silver smithing, pewter casting,
                            spinning, weaving, bow making, basket weaving, and just about anything
                            else I can learn. I'm a bit of a weirdo / geek I guess.

                            I am plan on joining the challenge, though I have as yet made up my mind
                            on what exactly I am going to do. Due to the short time available I am
                            considering the depth challenge and making 50 nalbound skull cap style
                            hats in wool. To make it a bit more challenging I am going to use 10
                            different stitches, 5 caps per stitch. Does this seem reasonable for the
                            challenge? Any other thoughts?
                          • Siggi
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 29, 2012
                              A: we are all weird and geeky. Welcome!

                              B: you decide what you want to do. It doesn't matter if it seems 'reasonable' to us, as long as it sounds challenging and fun to you!

                              Enjoy, and welcome!

                            • Madame du Pont
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 30, 2012
                                Welcome Kaoling of Harrowgate,

                                I, too, just recently found out about the 50 for the 50th challenge. I am going to make 50 standards (banners) and I am on number 4.

                                The caps sound wonderful!!

                                Adieu,
                                Mme du Pont
                                Stayner de silk