language assistance

  • Esther Beukenhorst
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      Greetings!

      I'm a native Dutch speaker, so I do period Dutch about the same way
      English speakers do English from around this period. It's much easier
      to read 16th century recipes than this stuff though, which has quite a
      bit of legal self importance going on...

      Below is what I can make of it. I kept the word order mostly as it is
      in the document so you can compare the two.

      Hannah of Hanecnolle
      in the Shire of Polderslot
      and back to lurking until I can get my challenge stuff organised...

      we undersigning on behalve of the chamber of the East India Company in
      Amsterdam declare with this to have received of (handwritten text-
      name of person?) the sum of (handwritten text – amount?) and that for
      the rest of (handwritten text? )there with aforementioned
      (handwrittentext name of person?) in forsaid Company registered is to
      stand ? (word looks like herideren, which I can’t find in the online
      Dutch historical dictionary) on the great book of the aforementioned
      chamber folio( handwritten text- page number?) being here with the
      previously written (handwritten text name of person?) there with the
      aforementioned (handwritten text amount?) in the aforementioned
      company for the first ten yearly account participates, in full brought
      and payed: And further annulled and destroyed all the receits (?) over
      the payments done on the mentioned party, given for this. Done (looks
      like latin actum??) the….