Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Introductory Post/What I'm doing

  • Sayyeda Samia al-Kaslaania
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2010
      Well, there are a number of different silks in the Mediterranean period.
      Many of them we only have names for, from lists of trade records, but we
      don't know what was different about the fiber.

      Sayyeda al-Kaslaania

      On 8/15/2010 1:21 PM, Avacyn wrote:
      > I would love to see your list. For the like of me, I can't name even
      > close to 50 fibers that existed during that time period. I come up
      > with: wool, hair, cotton, linen, hemp, nettle and silk. What are the
      > rest? Thanks.
      > Avacyn
      >> Unsigned wrote:
      >>> I am taking on two of the available paths for the challenge.. I am
      >>> going to THOROUGHLY complete this persona development questionnaire
      >>> (http://www.modaruniversity.org/Persona1.htm)
      >>> for myself, but more importantly going for the depth challenge.
      >>>
      >>> I will be spinning an ounce or two of 50 fibers that existed as a
      >>> spun fiber between 600-1600 (though I am willing to go outside the
      >>> "standard" SCA geographic region to meet this ;)) on the appropriate
      >>> style of spindle, and documenting the history/archaeological
      >>> evidence use of each fiber as I go. :)
      >>>
      >>> Nice to meet you all, and looking forward to seeing what comes out
      >>> in a few years! :)

    • Honour Horne-Jaruk
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 2010
        Respected friend:

        --- On Sun, 8/15/10, muireann_ni_m <ladymuirenn@...> wrote:

        Hi!
        :) I am taking on two of the available paths for the challenge.. I am
        going to THOROUGHLY complete this persona development questionnaire (http://www.modaruniversity.org/Persona1.htm)
        for myself, but more importantly going for the depth challenge. I will
        be spinning an ounce or two of 50 fibers that existed as a spun fiber
        between 600-1600 (though I am willing to go outside the "standard" SCA
        geographic region to meet this ;))on the appropriate style of spindle,
        and documenting the history/archaeological evidence use of each fiber
        as I go. :)

        Nice to meet you all, and looking forward to seeing what comes out in a few years! :)

        ...sounds like fun. After you finish all 50 cocoons, are you planning on trying anything besides the silks? ;-)

        Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-

        (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.

        Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

        FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES: SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS