RE: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Lochac intros?

  • Clare Rix
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 4:42 AM
      Greetings all,

      yes, I was one of the ones drawn in by Ragnhildr to this marvellously crazy idea! Personally I like plans and deadlines, so I think this is going to suit me fine!

      Okay, so a little about me, I've been playing since 2000, very much an SCA addict, though I suffer from a split persona...my original persona, which I want to go back and develop more is a 15th century northern Italian girl who (eventually) wants to learn to fence. However, just over a year ago I fell in love with Norse, York migration era Norse, encourage by my very Saxon husband. I believe I have developed a very good Norse persona, but want to improve the Italian one now.

      So in the little time I've had to time about the challenge I'll be aiming to do:

      * Persona challenge on my Italian side - develop new outfits, accessories and knowledge, especially in regards to fencing and pastimes (Norse board games is one of the reasons I got sucked into that so easily!).

      * A textile breadth challenge - I'm a member of the Broiderers Guild of Lochac, which has let me see so many beautiful things I want to do, so I'd like to improve my research, then do some samplers (especially late period techniques) and complete a few fully worked items for grading. As part of this too I'm going to try and enter more Guild comps.

      * Household challenge - as the Captain (read Den Mother) of our little household, Wulfcynn, I've gotten a little frustrated with the haphazard way our projects happen, too many at the last minute (with my husband foregoing sleep too often as he likes to take too much on), so I'd like us to finish 50 projects - examples are campsite banners/fences/gateway, spare garb, armour, tabards, sets of combat arrows, more period camping gear, better lighting pavilion at festival. Luckily at Festival we had a household meeting, so I have peoples goals on paper! 8^)

      Mundanely I work for a Bank and I'm studying my Masters in Library by distance.

      Cheers,
      Zanobia Adimari
      Kingdom of Lochac

      PS. I'd love to see more people at Festival! Its a great event 8^) Lots of wonderful classes, guild meetings and activities for everyone!

      "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." -- Earl Nightingale, speaker, author

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17 3:35 PM
        Hi there.
        I had wandered over to see the AS50 challenge session at festival and
        was a bit disapointed that it didn't happen. So since post festival
        activity has settled down and there was a local A&S workshop weekend
        I did what most people do now and spent the last couple of days
        finding out about the challenge on-line.

        While I have been around for a while my SCA activities have been
        mostly service oriented. I have always wanted to be a bit more artsy
        and this challege has pushed me over the edge into doing something
        about that. It crystalised last night at the weekly Polit A&S night
        where I figured I may as well go for it and make some playing cards.
        And not just one pack of painted ones but 50 packs.

        I have been doing a bit of research and know something about the
        issues involved. I want to do regular playing cards and not tarot. I
        need to select a particular example, design the missing cards
        (apparently there is only one {at least all the sources I have seen
        say so} complete pack of playing cards from the medieval era and I
        don't really like their design), carve woodcut blocks, select the
        paper, make colouring stencils, print them up, cut and package them.

        It might help spread more card playing at events in the kingdom too.
        Cheers
        John of the Hills
      • Albreda Aylese
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17 4:21 PM
          So you are going to make over *2500* unique playing cards? OH MY
          HEAD!

          Welcome to the Challenge, you crazy, *crazy* man! ;)

          Albreda

          --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "john_t_stewart"

        • jtstewart@westnet.com.au
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17 4:47 PM
            I was inspired by the guy making 50 knives. From ore. And making
            the charcoal. Hmmm.

            I'll start with 50 packs of one design.

            If I were to incorporate design elements of each group's device then
            the pack design issues are reduced and each group get unique packs
            for use. And it wouldn't be as bad as you suggest. In many decks
            only the court cards have to be different.
            The non-court cards were often only stencilled. :-)
            And no jokers.
            I have been thinking about this.
            Cheers

            PS I'm trying really hard not to think about making the inks/paints
            and the paper.

            >So you are going to make over *2500* unique playing cards? OH MY
            >HEAD!
            >
            >Welcome to the Challenge, you crazy, *crazy* man! ;)
            >
            >Albreda

          • Albreda Aylese
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17 5:11 PM
              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, jtstewart@... wrote:

              > I was inspired by the guy making 50 knives. From ore. And making
              > the charcoal. Hmmm.
              >

              > PS I'm trying really hard not to think about making the inks/paints
              > and the paper.

              One thing really does lead to another, eh? I know plenty of weavers
              who have ended up raising sheep!

              Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your work! (If you want to wax
              poetic about woodblock carving here, please go right ahead! This is
              something that I know several of us want to try!)

              Albreda
            • the Brinsmeads
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 18 5:02 AM
                Welcome John to the AS50 Challenge. Glad you found us.
                I know that Lorcan and Ysabeau are also interested in playing cards - ah
                but you'd know that too, we were all at the Polit A&S classes weekend.
                Sorry you missed the Session at Festival - I was shanghaied into
                organising hte Fighter Auction Prizes, so it happend a little later (ie
                in SCA time) than the scheduled time.
                Ragnhildr
                Kingdom Coordinator of this madcap/invidious project management
                escapade/promotion of enjoying learning new things and sharing