another thing done/started and two garb questions

  • Christine Fiebig
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
      Hello fellow challengers,

      last Sunday at the scriporium meeting in my shire I tried my hand at
      painting initials with whitework. This is fun and rather easy to do for
      me as long as I have something to copy from and don't have to make up my
      own stuff. I can draw a inital letter by myself, but for the whitework I
      need a sample to copy from, if I try to make up my own it doesn't look
      really good (at least not to me).
      I need more practice, mainly I need to find out the right gouache/water
      ratio to get an even painting.
      But I will get that practice as it's fun and I have gouache here with me
      and want to get on with it.
      I don't have photos yet but will share them when I get to make them.

      This is another step for me learning everything neccessary to make a
      scrolly by my own.

      I have two garb questions:
      First, is it ok for you if I mix late 13th century clothing with early
      14th century clothing? I started off with a dress from the Manesse
      Codex, which shows stuff from the second half of 13th century (as far as
      I know, even though it was made in the early 14th century). But there
      are so many interesting things I could wear if I wore early 14th century
      clothing.
      My persona is from around 1300, my name is from just before 1300.
      The main problem is: can I wear clothings from before 1300 (about 20
      years) to after 1300 (also about 20 years) and still have the same
      persona? Would that still be period? Can you give me a good reason why I
      shouln't be afraid f doing so or why I should not do it?

      The second question: I found a really nice looking coif, a flickr album
      with photos of all the steps of doing the coif. The album can be found
      at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13_costumes/sets/72157622640994017/
      I got the hint from a friend who said that it was a 13th century coif
      (if I remember it right), but it's called St. Brigitta's coif and
      searching for St. Brigitta I find that she's a 14th century person
      (lived from 1303 to 1373 according to Wikipedia)
      So can I wear this coif along with my garb when my persona is from
      around 1300? (this also relates to the first question).

      Thanks in advance for any answers. You're helping me a great deal on my
      challenge and on my way to more and nicer garb with your answer, no
      matter how big or small.

      Ellina
    • Laurie Taylor
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
        HI,

        This Coif and its photo presentation on Flickr are all great. But what I
        like best is the comb that she stitched to the coif to keep it in place. I
        would love to get ahold of some of those!

        Have any of you seen anything like that anywhere?

        Laurie of the mystery persona

        The second question: I found a really nice looking coif, a flickr album
        with photos of all the steps of doing the coif. The album can be found
        at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13_costumes/sets/72157622640994017/
        I got the hint from a friend who said that it was a 13th century coif
        (if I remember it right), but it's called St. Brigitta's coif and
        searching for St. Brigitta I find that she's a 14th century person
        (lived from 1303 to 1373 according to Wikipedia)
        So can I wear this coif along with my garb when my persona is from
        around 1300? (this also relates to the first question).

        . . . .

        Ellina
      • Christine Fiebig
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
          The comb is really great, you're right. I haven't looked where to get
          the comb, but I would look for it at a drugstore or any bigger shop
          where you can find hair decoration and care products. I will search such
          a comb when I decide to do the coif.

          Ellina

          Laurie Taylor schrieb:
          > HI,
          >
          > This Coif and its photo presentation on Flickr are all great. But what I
          > like best is the comb that she stitched to the coif to keep it in place. I
          > would love to get ahold of some of those!
          >
          > Have any of you seen anything like that anywhere?
          >
          > Laurie of the mystery persona

        • Johnna Holloway
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
            Vermont country store sells some that might work.
            Not cheap
            http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

            But any store that features silk flowers and materials for bridal
            party hairpieces
            might carry something that would work. I think it would depend on how
            fine
            and how short your hair is.

            Amazon even sells a selection.

            Johnnae

            On Jul 20, 2010, at 6:43 PM, Laurie Taylor wrote:

            > HI,
            >
            > This Coif and its photo presentation on Flickr are all great. But
            > what I
            > like best is the comb that she stitched to the coif to keep it in
            > place. I
            > would love to get ahold of some of those!
            >
            > Have any of you seen anything like that anywhere?
            >
            > Laurie of the mystery persona

          • Honour Horne-Jaruk
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
              Respected friend:

              Laurie Taylor schrieb wrote:

              > HI,

              > This Coif and its photo presentation on Flickr are all great. But
              what I

              > like best is the comb that she stitched to the coif to keep it in
              place. I

              > would love to get ahold of some of those!

              > Have any of you seen anything like that anywhere?

              > Laurie of the mystery persona
                   I have; I sell small ones like it, and similar large ones, at Pennsic. Maison Rive, facing the barn (Check the merchant booklet for exact location.).

              Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-

              (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.

              Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

              FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES: SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS

            • Andrea AskenDunn
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 23, 2010
                Greetings Ellina,
                My impression is that people did not throw clothing away, and fashions
                changed gradually, not all at once. So I think it would be possible that you
                would be wearing a mix of clothes as seen in manuscripts dating from roughly
                the same period. I mean, the difference between 1280 and 1320 is no more
                than the difference between 1320 and 1360. Oh, bad analogy, because fashions
                do seem to have changed dramatically around the time the Plague arrived. But
                say, 1240 to 1280. You wouldn't notice a difference then, because things
                shift so gradually. And, who is to say that people always wore the same
                style? Do we? So I think depending on your age and your station in life, and
                the fact that the Plague has not yet occurred, I would go for it.
                This is my period too, and I have been looking at many manuscripts. I see
                virtually no change between 1250-ish and 1320-ish. Just minor variations
                that could reflect personal preference or a variety of choices. There is
                more difference between geographical/cultural regions. Also, I would assume
                that clothing shown in a manuscript is contemporary with the manuscript, not
                with a historical person portrayed in the manuscript. That is to say, if the
                Manesse Codex was made in the early 14th century, it shows the style they
                were wearing in that place in the early 14th century. Medieval people did
                not have the same sense of historical change that we have now.
                Lady Asther de Perpinya
                PS The question is not whether it is okay for us. Is it okay for you???

                On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Christine Fiebig <christine@...>wrote:

                > Hello fellow challengers,
                >
                > last Sunday at the scriporium meeting in my shire I tried my hand at
                > painting initials with whitework. This is fun and rather easy to do for
                > me as long as I have something to copy from and don't have to make up my
                > own stuff. I can draw a inital letter by myself, but for the whitework I
                > need a sample to copy from, if I try to make up my own it doesn't look
                > really good (at least not to me).
                > I need more practice, mainly I need to find out the right gouache/water
                > ratio to get an even painting.
                > But I will get that practice as it's fun and I have gouache here with me
                > and want to get on with it.
                > I don't have photos yet but will share them when I get to make them.
                >
                > This is another step for me learning everything neccessary to make a
                > scrolly by my own.
                >
                > I have two garb questions:
                > First, is it ok for you if I mix late 13th century clothing with early
                > 14th century clothing? I started off with a dress from the Manesse
                > Codex, which shows stuff from the second half of 13th century (as far as
                > I know, even though it was made in the early 14th century). But there
                > are so many interesting things I could wear if I wore early 14th century
                > clothing.
                > My persona is from around 1300, my name is from just before 1300.
                > The main problem is: can I wear clothings from before 1300 (about 20
                > years) to after 1300 (also about 20 years) and still have the same
                > persona? Would that still be period? Can you give me a good reason why I
                > shouln't be afraid f doing so or why I should not do it?
                >
                > The second question: I found a really nice looking coif, a flickr album
                > with photos of all the steps of doing the coif. The album can be found
                > at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13_costumes/sets/72157622640994017/
                > I got the hint from a friend who said that it was a 13th century coif
                > (if I remember it right), but it's called St. Brigitta's coif and
                > searching for St. Brigitta I find that she's a 14th century person
                > (lived from 1303 to 1373 according to Wikipedia)
                > So can I wear this coif along with my garb when my persona is from
                > around 1300? (this also relates to the first question).
                >
                > Thanks in advance for any answers. You're helping me a great deal on my
                > challenge and on my way to more and nicer garb with your answer, no
                > matter how big or small.
                >
                > Ellina

              • Christine Fiebig
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
                  Thank you, Asther. I think I just needed this reassurance that it is
                  okay and that it was done in period, so that I can keep on doing what I
                  already do and feel good with it.
                  The biggest difference I found in clothing of 1280 and 1320 is that the
                  armholes of the surcots get wider the later you look in this time period.

                  Ellina.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4 9:34 PM
                    Hello,

                    Yeah! I found the wire combs as seen in the coif image from the message
                    quoted below! An online retailer, His and Hers Hair, stocks them in a
                    variety of sizes. The web site link is www.hisandher.com
                    <http://www.hisandher.com/> .

                    Laurie T.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5 6:09 AM
                      You are the Amazing!

                      Eleanor

                      From: Laurie Taylor

                      Hello,

                      Yeah! I found the wire combs as seen in the coif image from the message
                      quoted below! An online retailer, His and Hers Hair, stocks them in a
                      variety of sizes. The web site link is www.hisandher.com
                      <http://www.hisandher.com/> .

                      Laurie T.
                      <<SNIP>>

                    • Laurie Taylor
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5 8:23 AM
                        Actually, just got darned lucky. I was ordering some hair stuff - braids
                        and such - and skimmed through the other pages on the web site out of
                        curiosity. There they were!

                        Service was so fast - ordered on Monday and got them on Wednesday - CA to
                        Phoenix.

                        Laurie

                        _____