duct tape dress form?

  • arainydaygirl
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
      One of my goals is to improve my garb. I have decided to make a duct tape dress form to help me with this (because after having 7 kids in 10 years I have no good concept of my shape and what might look good on it). I was just wondering if any of you have tried this and how it's worked for you. I am particularly interested in what might have been used to stuff it. I have seen spray foam insulation as an option, but with mixed results.

      Thanks,
      Amelia
    • Laws, Amber
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
        My mother began making me one of these around Christmas. We haven't gotten to the stuffing it part yet, but planned on using regular poly batting. However, as we worked on it, we found a few other sites with alternate methods.

        My personal favorite is made with ½" wide masking tape over a very form fitting body suit like an old fashion leotard that is mostly cotton. The trick is to find something that conforms to you and does not alter your shape, but fits you closely enough to not create odd bumps that don't really exist.

        I think when we go back and explore this again after I have finished losing weight, we will use the method I mention above and fill with the spray foam. It doesn't warp the shape you have created. I will see if I can find some good links and post them later next week.

        Eleanor

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
          If you want directions or need questions answered on this go to
          www.alleycatscratch.com. it is a lord of the rings costuming site but the
          talk about the duct tape dummy and give directions and I know some friends
          that made them.

          Ealhswith of Skye

          Ps: I am moving to the Marengo/Mt Gilead area from the Barony of Red Spears
          and can't wait to me all of you.

          On Jul 2, 2010 4:21 PM, "arainydaygirl" <ameliavw@...> wrote:

          One of my goals is to improve my garb. I have decided to make a duct tape
          dress form to help me with this (because after having 7 kids in 10 years I
          have no good concept of my shape and what might look good on it). I was just
          wondering if any of you have tried this and how it's worked for you. I am
          particularly interested in what might have been used to stuff it. I have
          seen spray foam insulation as an option, but with mixed results.

          Thanks,
          Amelia

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2010
            I have one started. I have an adjustable dress form that doesn't match ME, I can get the measurements ok, but I am larger front to back than side to side(mostly in the front...important info to get side seams on the side). So I got 2 tee shirts that are tight fitting but not super small and had my neighbor duct tape me in one of them. We then cut it up the back and I put it on the dress form. I will duct tape the cut and then stuff it. Was planning to use poly stuffing. The expandable foam sounds good but 1) controlling the expansion not to go TOO far and 2) I don't want to wreck my dress form totally. The second tee shirt will go over the stuffed one to give a smoother finished look. I made 2 Elizabethan bodices in 10 hours...one TOO small and the second TOO BIG!! After crying and cursing I gave up and started to think of how for that not to happen again! That was Dec 5th and I have not touched my sewing machines since.
            Anyway I'll post my results after I get it stuffed.

            Elspeth
            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "arainydaygirl" <ameliavw@...> wrote:

            > One of my goals is to improve my garb. I have decided to make a duct tape dress form to help me with this (because after having 7 kids in 10 years I have no good concept of my shape and what might look good on it). I was just wondering if any of you have tried this and how it's worked for you. I am particularly interested in what might have been used to stuff it. I have seen spray foam insulation as an option, but with mixed results.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Amelia

          • Lyssa
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
              I haven't done duct tape forms but I used to help a lot of folks do paper tape forms. In the extreme heat of the summer the duct tape forms tend to soften a bit and even stuffed don't hold their shape as well if you've taken them to display at an outdoor event. The paper tape forms work well and don't require stuffing. Just reinforce the inside after the form is removed with more layers of paper tape until it feels firm and solid. You can pin right into it unless you get really carried away with your layers of tape. If you're looking for a form that can be compressed though stick with the duct tape models. If you just need it to do what an adjustable form would do but to fit you right, try these instructions:

              http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=74964.0

              I haven't tried these but if you're game for the extra work you can exactly reproduce your body without the bulk of the shirt and tape causing distortion with the molded form:

              http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3659/clone-yourself-a-fitting-assistant

              From that same site are the paper tape instructions that I used when I used to teach this class.

              Warning for all of them... Unlike pictures, you're going to see the real you in Full 3-D glory. If you're body shy you do not want to do this in a room full of people. Stick with a trusted friend or two. If you do this in a group setting I advise that any audiences be carefully monitored and escorted out if they can't remember that there are feelings inside the tape as you're working and demonstrating. I nearly had two ladies flee in tears as 3-D reality and callous comments from the peanut gallery met in one place. After that I stopped teaching it in large groups entirely.

              The paper tape double held up so very well that the male form that eventually became an ex's form made the most wonderful archery target when it needed to be disposed of later. Just saying they have many uses. :)

              Lyssa
              Outlands

            • AlbredaA@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
                In a message dated 7/4/2010 3:11:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                leofsige@... writes:

                The paper tape double held up so very well that the male form that
                eventually became an ex's form made the most wonderful archery target when it
                needed to be disposed of later. Just saying they have many uses. :)

                Oh, Lyssa. Leave it to you to show how A&S is relevant for martial skills!

                >;)

              • Lyssa
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2010
                  Martial skills? At the time I was just looking for revenge that didn't get me in trouble. ;)
                  Lyssa

                  --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, AlbredaA@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 7/4/2010 3:11:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > leofsige@... writes:
                  >
                  > The paper tape double held up so very well that the male form that
                  > eventually became an ex's form made the most wonderful archery target when it
                  > needed to be disposed of later. Just saying they have many uses. :)
                  >

                  > Oh, Lyssa. Leave it to you to show how A&S is relevant for martial skills!
                  >
                  > >;)
                  >
                  > Albreda

                • Vicki Hyde
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5, 2010
                    > I haven't done duct tape forms but I used to help a lot of folks do
                    > paper tape forms.

                    I tried sourcing the paper tape locally some years back but had no
                    luck. Can you please supply a commercial description (ie
                    manufacturer, brand name, size or designation)?

                    It's much easier ordering outside the country these days, so I might
                    even consider that, but it helps to know the name of the product you
                    are after!

                    Cheers,
                    katherine

                    Windpower Monthly News Magazine
                    http://www.windpower-monthly.com
                  • Lyssa
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 6, 2010
                      I ordered it from a local Corporate Express. What you want to ask them for is 3M Brown Paper Gum Tape in 2 inch widths. The product number the last time I ordered was TAP26015 - Tape, Gum, 2"x600'. Additional information on the invoice that also described the tape is "003415 - Tap26015" which might be local stocking information. They didn't have it in the store but special ordered 3 rolls for me. It has been a while since I ordered and after taping up 7 women and one man I still have one roll left. Guess I ordered too much but when I do it again I won't need to repeat the order.

                      Web searches turned up a Pro Art gum tape that probably would work well... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017SVKM6/ref=asc_df_B0017SVKM61170477?smid=A38VF1ZKFTUTWC&tag=shopzilla_mp_1301-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0017SVKM6

                      That one is only 75' long so you might need the 3 rolls I originally planned for doing several people. There are a couple of other gummed tape options lower on the page in the "people also purchased" section.

                      Googling for "gummed paper tape" seemed to turn up a few more options as well.

                      If you can't find the gum tape you might try the masking tape variety of the same brown paper tape in 2 inch widths. Do not get the "reinforced tape" because then you need a third hand to cut the darn tape rather than tearing it at a point where you often already need an extra hand.

                      One advantage of the masking tape over the gum tape is that you won't have to get it wet which means you won't be getting your model wet and chilled. Do work in a very warm room and use a hair dryer to dry it as you finish sections if you use the gum variety. One disadvantage is that masking tapes stick to themselves when cutting large or multiple strips and can create frustrations of their own. That's the same issue you'd have with duct tape so it isn't insurmountable.

                      Be sure to remove all jewelry and cut shallow if they're wearing a bra or other undergarments to achieve a particular look, i.e. a corset for creating a dress form for late period garments. We had one necklace snipped in the removal of the form.

                      Hope you can find a tape source!
                      Lyssa