Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] AS50 Project Sewing Lessons: update

  • Verena Entenwirt
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 1 12:18 PM
      With another successful Tuesday behind us, we have another lesson. Lesson 3
      covers scissors and other cutting implements as well as tearing fabric, and
      how to cut out your pattern.

      http://sca.broomstich.com/index.php?pr=Geometric_Lessons

      --
      Lady Verena Entenwirth
      www.broomstich.com

    • Laws, Amber
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 1 12:35 PM
        Loving it! Yay for handouts!

        Eleanor, who clearly is obsessed with handouts.... teehee

        With another successful Tuesday behind us, we have another lesson. Lesson 3
        covers scissors and other cutting implements as well as tearing fabric, and
        how to cut out your pattern.

        http://sca.broomstich.com/index.php?pr=Geometric_Lessons

        --
        Lady Verena Entenwirth
        www.broomstich.com

      • D'vorah bint al-Attar
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 1 8:15 PM
          On 1 Jul 2010, at 2:18 PM, Verena Entenwirt wrote:

          > With another successful Tuesday behind us, we have another lesson. Lesson 3
          > covers scissors and other cutting implements as well as tearing fabric, and
          > how to cut out your pattern.

          And if I do say it myself, once I'm told where to cut and tear, I'm brilliant at it. Rrrrrrrrip!
          D'vorah bint al-Attar
          Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
          dvorah@...
          Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
        • Elewyiss the Jew
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 1 8:37 PM
            Isn't ripping fun?

            --
            Ro'ah Chatulim

            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 2 7:38 AM
              BTW Elewyiss, I attempted to answer your questions on the newly added FAQ
              section.

              -V

              --
              Lady Verena Entenwirth
              www.broomstich.com

            • Anthony Satoh
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 2 7:53 AM
                Just read through you handout on cutting/tearing.

                I love that you stated "The preferred way to dealing with 100% cotton, silk, linen, and velvet is to tear it."

                I've been to sewing guilds with a number of differant folks and they all seem to make fun of me when I do that. I haven't seen anyone else do it. I've been doing it for years. Works even better now that I have a serger. Rip and serge. So much faster and always straight.

                Nice job on the handouts.

                -Ercc

              • Verena Entenwirt
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 2 8:03 AM
                  Thanks. I started working in a fabric store when I was 14- and this was the
                  way I was told to cut all fabrics except stretchy or quilt fabrics.

                  Those with a quilting background usually don't rip, as they usually work in
                  smaller quantities of fabric, and they usually use a ruler a rotary cutter
                  anyways. Those in the theatrical communities don't usually rip when they
                  are sewing with non-natural fibers. You do see it more often in operatic
                  settings, and those who have a more European or classical sewing training
                  (they ripped everything when I interned in Italy)

                  Everyone (should) rips, as it is the best way to start off with the fabric
                  being on grain.

                  I am working on a side project /amendum for the St. Louis shirt that I will
                  be sewing for Lukas (my SO) for pennsic. I will send the pattern/handout to
                  you when I am done, as I think you will get a kick out of it. A little early
                  for your time frame, but it makes a good universal 13-15th century
                  undershirt/tunic.

                  -V

                  On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Anthony Satoh <anthony_satoh@...>wrote:

                  > Just read through you handout on cutting/tearing.
                  >
                  > I love that you stated "The preferred way to dealing with 100% cotton,
                  > silk, linen, and velvet is to tear it."
                  >
                  > I've been to sewing guilds with a number of differant folks and they all
                  > seem to make fun of me when I do that. I haven't seen anyone else do it.
                  > I've been doing it for years. Works even better now that I have a serger.
                  > Rip and serge. So much faster and always straight.
                  >
                  > Nice job on the handouts.
                  >
                  > -Ercc

                • Anthony Satoh
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 2 9:15 AM
                    Not too early for my time period. I'm skitsophrentic in the SCA.

                    I started in the SCA as late 12th century. That's still my first love. I only ended up making more later period stuff because I started fighting rapier. Fighting witha rapier while wearing anything earlier period just looks weird to me. I'm still hoping to convert to heavy and going back in time a few hundred years.

                    When you send the pattern along and I'll make one of them.

                    -Ercc

                    To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 2 2:57 PM
                      Thank you. As soon as I have computer access without net nanny, I will
                      check it out. I didn't realize how subversive sewing was. Explains so much
                      about my life.

                      Elewyiss

                      On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...>wrote:

                      > BTW Elewyiss, I attempted to answer your questions on the newly added FAQ
                      > section.
                      >
                      > -V
                      >
                      > --
                      > Lady Verena Entenwirth