De-Lurking Myself

  • sarac76srvy
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1 6:09 AM
      Greetings all!

      My name is Juliana de Barowe, and I am in the canton of St. Georges in
      the Barony of Nottinghill Coill in the Kingdom of Atlantia.

      I haven't been involved in the SCA for very long (about six months or
      so), but I have been very lucky to find lots of things to do and LOTS
      of very helpful and friendly people to do them with.

      I am currently learning the Scribal Arts from Baroness Brig ingen
      Erennaigh. You can see one of my attempts on her website at

      http://www.freewebs.com/ladybrigh/studentswork.htm

      and you can browse the rest of her site to see all of the *incredible*
      works she has done. I am very definitely honored to be her student!

      I am also making my own garb. I have one set finished, simple though
      it may be, that can be viewed at

      http://julianadebarowe.renspace.com/blog/2007/07/03/finally

      At some point in the near future, I want to make some more accurate,
      more embellished, 'better' garb, but as of now, I am simply trying to
      get together enough garb to last me through a weekend event!

      My other interests include cooking, needlework, research, teaching
      (though I really don't feel 'knowledgeable as yet), and making
      cordials and liqueurs. I love organizing things and planning things,
      so I'm hoping to hold a themed dessert revel or three in the near future.

      Current projects include making garb for War of the Wings II, a batch
      of six liqueurs that are mellowing under my cabinet, a couple of
      scrolls, and persona research. I'm holding Garb Days at my house, and
      I will be organizing a group trip to a local fabric store for its
      Going-Out-of-Business-Sale coming up in October.

      Whew! That was more than I thought! :)

      Yours in Service,
      Juliana
    • Albreda Aylese
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1 6:41 AM
        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "sarac76srvy"
        <sara@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all!
        >
        > My name is Juliana de Barowe, and I am in the canton of St. Georges
        in
        > the Barony of Nottinghill Coill in the Kingdom of Atlantia.

        (snip)

        > I am currently learning the Scribal Arts from Baroness Brig ingen
        > Erennaigh. You can see one of my attempts on her website at
        >
        > http://www.freewebs.com/ladybrigh/studentswork.htm
        (snip)

        > I am also making my own garb. I have one set finished, simple though
        > it may be, that can be viewed at
        >
        > http://julianadebarowe.renspace.com/blog/2007/07/03/finally
        >
        > At some point in the near future, I want to make some more accurate,
        > more embellished, 'better' garb, but as of now, I am simply trying
        > get together enough garb to last me through a weekend event!
        >
        > My other interests include cooking, needlework, research, teaching
        > (though I really don't feel 'knowledgeable as yet), and making
        > cordials and liqueurs. I love organizing things and planning things,
        > so I'm hoping to hold a themed dessert revel or three in the near
        future.

        > Current projects include making garb for War of the Wings II, a
        batch
        > of six liqueurs that are mellowing under my cabinet, a couple of
        > scrolls, and persona research. I'm holding Garb Days at my house,
        and
        > I will be organizing a group trip to a local fabric store for its
        > Going-Out-of-Business-Sale coming up in October.
        >
        > Whew! That was more than I thought! :)

        Yeah - that is quite the list, and you have certainly jumped in with
        both feet!

        Is your persona 10th Cent Frankish then? There is an AMAZING persona
        creation questionaire at http://wiki.antir.sca.org/index.php?
        title=Persona_Worksheet that you might want to check out (I'm using
        it as I work more on my Wessex persona).

        Your first garb looks TERRIFIC, and FAR better than my first attempt
        (pink poplin and bias tape - need I say more?) FYI - Duchess Marieke
        (EK) uses applique down the front of her gowns like this, sometimes
        plain, sometimes embroidered (easier than embroidering down a
        finished dress, AND you can wear the dress while you work on the
        adorment!)

        And your lovely Baroness is right - your scribal work DOES show
        promise! Thanks for showing us your work (and her's!) - I knew that
        her name looked familiar - turns out I bookmarked her site not six
        months ago for her goldleaf directions!

        Do you have any specific goals for the Challenge, or are you still in
        the 'jumping in' phase? :) Either is GREAT - that sense of
        *discovering* is such a thrill to have, and to be around, that you
        are most welcome to just keep at it here!

        Enjoy, and thanks for delurking - I look forward to seeing more of
        your work!
        Albreda
      • sarac76srvy
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1 7:46 AM
          --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Albreda Aylese"
          <AlbredaA@...> wrote:

          > Is your persona 10th Cent Frankish then? There is an AMAZING persona
          > creation questionaire at http://wiki.antir.sca.org/index.php?
          > title=Persona_Worksheet that you might want to check out (I'm using
          > it as I work more on my Wessex persona).

          Actually, my persona is English around 1300 or so. The garb is
          Frankish 'cause it looked easy and I thought I could do it! Especially
          as it was all made by online instructions regarding T-tunics.

          I did find a persona worksheet at

          http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Persona1.htm

          that I've been using, and I found another at

          http://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~arnora/arnora/persona-dev.htm

          that seems to go into a little more depth on a few items. So far I
          can't answer very many questions, but I'm getting there!

          > Your first garb looks TERRIFIC, and FAR better than my first attempt
          > (pink poplin and bias tape - need I say more?) FYI - Duchess Marieke
          > (EK) uses applique down the front of her gowns like this, sometimes
          > plain, sometimes embroidered (easier than embroidering down a
          > finished dress, AND you can wear the dress while you work on the
          > adorment!)

          Thank you! I had thought about going back and embroidering or doing
          more applique on the gowns, but alas! 'Tis a project for later.

          > And your lovely Baroness is right - your scribal work DOES show
          > promise! Thanks for showing us your work (and her's!) - I knew that
          > her name looked familiar - turns out I bookmarked her site not six
          > months ago for her goldleaf directions!

          <blushes> Again, thank you. I was actually unaware that I had the
          skills to do the scribal work until I met Brig. Her encouragement has
          really meant a lot to me.

          > Do you have any specific goals for the Challenge, or are you still in
          > the 'jumping in' phase? :) Either is GREAT - that sense of
          > *discovering* is such a thrill to have, and to be around, that you
          > are most welcome to just keep at it here!

          I'm still kind of on the 'jumping in' phase. I've been brainstorming,
          though, and now I have to narrow down what I think I *can* accomplish
          versus what I *want* to accomplish during the scope of the challenge.
          Eventually, I hope to get it ALL done <big grin> but I do know better
          than to overwhelm myself and cause burnout. Been there, done that,
          don't want to do it again. :)

          Juliana
        • Nest verch Tangwistel
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1 5:27 PM
            Hello,

            I am Nest verch Tangwistel. I hail from the Barony of Smoking Rocks in the East Kingdom (Southeastern Mass). Ever since I heard about the 50 challenge I have been coming up with ideas.

            At the moment I have 3 things going; two personal and one group.

            The group project is to make 50 pieces of camp heraldry and Baronial regalia. We are a fairly new Barony (3 years old) so we are still a little short on things like banners and flags. As a Barony we are going to start with making person silk flags with the Serti technique of dyeing. Then people will be able to bring their flags to camp or events with them and use them during processionals. So far I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of people who want to do this. So far I have heard from 13 people who want to make at least 2 flags each. The second part of the project will encompass the making of the heraldic Baronial banners and wind walls. That will take longer and be much slower moving. But I think we are making a great start on the group challenge.

            My personal goals are to make 50 scrolls and 50 pieces of bobbin lace. I have gotten in touch with one person to try and improve my bobbin lace technique, and joined the local lace makers group. I am not sure how much of a goal the scrolls are. Just making the ones I am assigned by the signet might make that goal.

            Boy, talking about this does fill up the paper.

            Nest

          • S.E. Buchter
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1 8:39 PM
              Hi everyone,  (Hey Nest)

              I just found out about this list and thought I would join.  My name is Ysemay Sterlyng and I am from Nordenhalle in the East Kingdom (New York).  At this point, I think my goal is to simply accomplish 50 items that are well done and researched  (no quickie garb for kids or husband, etc).  I love scribal and am developing a passion for early 16th century German garb.  I very much enjoy handsewing and am learning various smocking techniques.  I have a long list of projects I want to try from pysanky to woodcuts to painting majolica.

              Although I have more ideas and inspiration than one can imagine, time is a precious commodity.  I have two small children (boys, 2 and 5) and am going to graduate school.  So with everything I have to do in real life, A&S projects must be carefully squeezed into the cracks.  Perhaps once I have finished school and both kids are going to school, my 50 things will evolve into something more focused.  For now, it will be a challenge to simply do fifty items.

              Thanks Albreda for all your effort in this wildly spreading endeavor.

              Ysemay

              "Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say"--5.3.323 King Lear

              Building a website is a piece of cake.
            • Albreda Aylese
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3 8:38 AM
                (Snipped like all heck:)

                > > Is your persona 10th Cent Frankish then? There is an AMAZING
                persona
                > > creation questionaire at http://wiki.antir.sca.org/index.php?
                > > title=Persona_Worksheet that you might want to check out
                >
                > Actually, my persona is English around 1300 or so.
                >
                > I did find a persona worksheet at
                >
                > http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Persona1.htm
                >
                > that I've been using, and I found another at
                >
                > http://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~arnora/arnora/persona-dev.htm
                >
                > that seems to go into a little more depth on a few items. So far I
                > can't answer very many questions, but I'm getting there!

                These look good - I'm going to link to all three on the new site.
                Does anyone have other general persona creation resources we should
                pick up?

                > > Do you have any specific goals for the Challenge, or are you
                still in
                > > the 'jumping in' phase? :) Either is GREAT - that sense of
                > > *discovering* is such a thrill to have, and to be around, that
                you
                > > are most welcome to just keep at it here!
                >
                > I'm still kind of on the 'jumping in' phase. I've been
                brainstorming,
                > though, and now I have to narrow down what I think I *can*
                accomplish
                > versus what I *want* to accomplish during the scope of the
                challenge.
                > Eventually, I hope to get it ALL done <big grin> but I do know
                better
                > than to overwhelm myself and cause burnout. Been there, done that,
                > don't want to do it again. :)

                Eight years is a nice long time; hopefully enough that folks can do
                projects at a pace that lets them live their lives too, (Ysemay's
                kids and grad school included!) It still works out to about one
                project every two months though, so if you can't get your projects
                done in two months *of regular life* (on average) then your goals
                might be too ambitious. That said, 'on average' gives one a lot of
                leeway; planning some 'smaller' projects into one's goals can allow
                for a) some longer projects, and b) room for life to happen, as it
                inevitably will. (We're hoping to have another baby in the next
                couple of years, so you KNOW that I'm not getting much done for a
                while THEN!)

                I'd say that folks new to the SCA may want to set *some* goals
                (things you want to try) but not get super-specific about them (say
                you want to try calligraphy, but not that you want to make make your
                own vellum and ink, and bind a book written in your own half uncial
                hand), mainly because you want to leave room for discovery and
                inspiration along the way!

                Whatever you decide to do (or when you decide it), best wishes on
                your journey!
                AA
              • Albreda Aylese
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3 8:46 AM
                  Nest said:"As a Barony we are going to start with making person silk
                  flags with the Serti technique of dyeing. Then people will be able to
                  bring their flags to camp or events with them and use them during
                  processionals. So far I have been pleasantly surprised by the number
                  of people who want to do this. So far I have heard from 13 people who
                  want to make at least 2 flags each. The second part of the project
                  will encompass the making of the heraldic Baronial banners and wind
                  walls. That will take longer and be much slower moving. But I think
                  we are making a great start on the group challenge."

                  That is such a great project! I'm glad that your Barony is so
                  responsive to your idea, but who DOESN'T love those silk banners?
                  Are you doing them in a workshop format, or as a class at an event,
                  or one on one with folks? (Just curious!) Also, where are you
                  getting your silk, and are you using period serti supplies (and if
                  so, can you please educate me? I just use the modern stuff, and the
                  steam-soluable ones at that!)

                  > My personal goals are to make 50 scrolls and 50 pieces of bobbin
                  lace. I have gotten in touch with one person to try and improve my
                  bobbin lace technique, and joined the local lace makers group. I am
                  not sure how much of a goal the scrolls are. Just making the ones I
                  am assigned by the signet might make that goal.

                  > Boy, talking about this does fill up the paper.

                  Yeah, it does. :) (and she neglected to mention that she's ranked
                  *third* in archery in the East Kingdom!)

                  One of my goals is to teach 50 classes, and that is something that I
                  would probably do anyway, but the trick for me will be to do them
                  *while also doing my other challenges.* I didn't want to drop that
                  ball in the process, so I made it a Challenge. Maybe your scrolls
                  will be that... Bobbin lace though - wow. I tried it at War a few
                  years ago and loved it, but keeping my cats and kids from making a
                  complete mess of it? Harder than I'm willing to try for the time
                  being.

                  Good luck, and I can't wait to see what Smoking Rock's camp looks
                  like when you are done with them!
                  AA
                • Albreda Aylese
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3 9:03 AM
                    Ysemay said "So with everything I have to do in real life, A&S
                    projects must be carefully squeezed into the cracks. Perhaps once I
                    have finished school and both kids are going to school, my 50 things
                    will evolve into something more focused. For now, it will be a
                    challenge to simply do fifty items."

                    You know how this whole thing started? My relationship with the SCA
                    has always been in for a few years, then out for a few years, rinse
                    and repeat; life happens, and change happens with it, but I have
                    always come back eventually. This past Spring I had just been out
                    for a year plus during a high-risk pregnancy and the first year (post-
                    partum depression included) with twin daughters. My husband and I
                    wanted to get back involved (and get our kids involved), and I needed
                    some focus within the group that would keep me both anchored and
                    motivated. I looked at the SCA calendar and realized that I had been
                    playing in (sometimes around) the SCA for well over half of its, and
                    my, lifetime, and that neither of us were getting any younger; if I
                    wanted to actually BE in the SCA, rather than just play at it, I
                    needed to do get off my butt and do it. So I came up with the idea
                    of A&S 50, thought others might enjoy it too, and here we are. A&S
                    50 exists because I wanted a good reason to stay in the SCA for eight
                    years running! Sure, life will keep happening along the way, but
                    I'm hopeful that THIS time I'll stay in contact with folks (and my
                    roots here) while it does...

                    AA
                  • Nest verch Tangwistel
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3 7:42 PM
                      Hi,

                      I am going to do at least some of this in a class format...maybe more of a workshop since it won't be done in one day. I am sorry to say I am not using period Serti techniques. The one I like washes out with soap and water.

                      I am probably the most excited about the bobbin lace project. I am really enjoying working with it.

                      I notice I have been bumped another spot on the archery list. I am now in 4th. But I am making some new arrows, and will work hard to get that back up.

                      Nest

                      Albreda Aylese <AlbredaA@...> wrote:
                      That is such a great project! I'm glad that your Barony is so
                      responsive to your idea, but who DOESN'T love those silk banners?
                      Are you doing them in a workshop format, or as a class at an event,
                      or one on one with folks? (Just curious!) Also, where are you
                      getting your silk, and are you using period serti supplies (and if
                      so, can you please educate me? I just use the modern stuff, and the
                      steam-soluable ones at that!)

                      > My personal goals are to make 50 scrolls and 50 pieces of bobbin
                      lace. I have gotten in touch with one person to try and improve my
                      bobbin lace technique, and joined the local lace makers group. I am
                      not sure how much of a goal the scrolls are. Just making the ones I
                      am assigned by the signet might make that goal.

                      > Boy, talking about this does fill up the paper.

                      Yeah, it does. :) (and she neglected to mention that she's ranked
                      *third* in archery in the East Kingdom!)

                      One of my goals is to teach 50 classes, and that is something that I
                      would probably do anyway, but the trick for me will be to do them
                      *while also doing my other challenges.* I didn't want to drop that
                      ball in the process, so I made it a Challenge. Maybe your scrolls
                      will be that... Bobbin lace though - wow. I tried it at War a few
                      years ago and loved it, but keeping my cats and kids from making a
                      complete mess of it? Harder than I'm willing to try for the time
                      being.

                      Good luck, and I can't wait to see what Smoking Rock's camp looks
                      like when you are done with them!
                      AA

                      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                    • Albreda Aylese
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 7 7:28 AM
                        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch
                        Tangwistel <eastarch@...> wrote:

                        > I am going to do at least some of this in a class format...maybe
                        more of a workshop since it won't be done in one day. I am sorry to
                        say I am not using period Serti techniques. The one I like washes out
                        with soap and water.

                        Which one is that? Not having to pull out the steamer would be a big
                        plus! Using period methods is great, but getting the LOOK right is
                        good too - and your camp is going to look GREAT!

                        > I am probably the most excited about the bobbin lace project. I
                        am really enjoying working with it.

                        Do you have any good online resources that our site should link to?

                        > I notice I have been bumped another spot on the archery list. I
                        am now in 4th. But I am making some new arrows, and will work hard to
                        get that back up.

                        Horrors! ;) I know that our local source of inexpensive wooden
                        arrows has completely dried up, and that folks are interested in
                        learning how to make their own. (Any chance you could come teach at
                        Mimir's Well on Oct 20 in Central Vermont?) :) Do you have good
                        links/resources that you can share with folks?

                        Good luck getting back up into third!!