Scotland music

  • Vicki Hyde
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2010
      > My persona is lowland Scots. I would love to hear more about the
      > chronicles you found. Currently I am studying Scottish music of
      > the period and have found the John Purser book to be a great
      > resource.

      OK, you've got to elabroate on that. What's it cover?

      I have a double CD called Scotland's Music put together by Purser,
      but that would predate his BBC radio show. Also got a great CD called
      Mary's Music, by the Scottish Early Music Consort. Our singing group
      managed to put Depairte Depairte (Lady Mary's Galliard) together for
      my baronial step-down, which was one of my challenges (in more ways
      than one! :-)

      Any recommendations?

      Ditto lowland Scots resources.

      Cheers,
      katherine

      =====================================
      katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
      Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
      mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
      bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
      Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz
    • Barbara
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2010
        On 6/3/2010 7:15 PM, Vicki Hyde wrote:

        > > My persona is lowland Scots. I would love to hear more about the
        > > chronicles you found. Currently I am studying Scottish music of
        > > the period and have found the John Purser book to be a great
        > > resource.
        >
        > OK, you've got to elabroate on that. What's it cover?

        From ancient to current. but there are some good chapters:
        Briton, Pict, and Scot 600-800
        The Bell and the Chant 500-1100
        Cathedral Voices 800-1300
        Ballads, Bards, and Makars 1100-1500
        Gaelic Bards, Bagpipes and Harps 1100-1600
        The Golden Age 1490-1550
        Reform 1513-1580
        The Two Maries 1540-1590
        At the Courts of the Last King 1570 - 1600
        Music of the West 1570-1760
        It is almost 500 pages, so the chapters aren't short.

        > I have a double CD called Scotland's Music put together by Purser,
        > but that would predate his BBC radio show. Also got a great CD called
        > Mary's Music, by the Scottish Early Music Consort. Our singing group
        > managed to put Depairte Depairte (Lady Mary's Galliard) together for
        > my baronial step-down, which was one of my challenges (in more ways
        > than one! :-)

        Well, the book title is "Scotland's Music" so I wonder if it is a
        companion to the book. Thanks for the CD recommendation by the Scottish
        Early Music Consort. I'm always looking for new groups to listen to.

        > Any recommendations?

        Look for Scottish Lute and Highland King CDs by Ronn McFarlane. Some of
        the music is definitely late period found in the lute manuscripts of
        1620 - 1650. I am learning the "Scottish Huntsupe" on fiddle. There are
        sheet music books put out by MelBay for both, but the one from The
        Scottish Lute is the hardest to find. I got mine from Australia, so you
        might be luckier than I was since you are closer. It has more of the
        older tunes from the Rowallan Lute Book..

        Barbeta