Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Digest Number 816

  • Vicki Hyde
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
      > 2a. Persona Challenge Posted by: "Richard of Essex"
      > RichardofEssex@...

      > Is anyone doing this one? I'm running out of ideas and looking for
      > inspiration. :)

      Which aspect of persona? There could be so many. How about finding
      out what sort of curriculum you might have had as a kid and seeing
      how much of that you can track now -- astronomy, rhetoric, maths? Not
      to mention Latin....

      One of my Special Moments in the SCA is the stumbling Latin
      conversation I had with Brother Stephen at one Canterbuiry Faire --
      we managed to each remember vaguely enough to greet each other, ask
      what's new, how were the children etc, before I finally asked (in
      Latin), if he spoke another language and we "found" we had English in
      common :-) It was delightful.

      > Posted by: "Elewyiss the Jew" elewyiss@... Elewyiss
      > Me. I am keeping an in persona journal.

      I keep meaning to get onto that. I've just found two detailed
      chronicles for Scotland in my period, so I can write about the
      weather and other important matters, and actually be accurate :-)

      And then there ar the 50 different items of paperwork project. I've
      done around nine in the familiy lineage line (birthbrief, heraldic
      visitation family tree, roll of arms etc), now I have to get onto the
      inventories and correspondence and bills. (I'm sure Father racked up
      a good batch of those while serving in the Scots Guard in France :-).

      Then it's onto the sketches, both maps and people...

      > late 1590's. Elewyiss is in 1154 England. We just got a new King!
      > How cool is that? Now maybe politics and the fighting will calm
      > down.

      Gotta be careful where you say things like that. I once remarked at a
      feast that the Queen was going to be in big trouble if she kept on
      carrying on with a married man of dubious character, and horrified my
      table companions until I explained I mean Mary of Scotland, not the
      Queen of Lochac!

      > Lord Essex, it says your Cheif of Staff of the Navy. Do you know
      > anything about cooking and food preservation on ships?

      Ooo, good thought. What about contracts at the time? Did officers
      have to sign any articles or anything? How about a ship's inventory?
      Captain's log? What's your chain of command?

      Hmm, Dr John Dee did a logistics analysis for Elizabeth which
      included a pile of recommendations for expanding the fleet -- the big
      sheet for the report was shown at the exhibition at the Maritime
      Museum (it's in the great catagloue they released).

      Not that I'm preoccupied with documents or anything :-)

      Do you know how to use a compass or a backstaff? Draw a rutter? Take
      a sounding? Keelhaul an insolent subordinate? (hmm, that last one
      will probably have to stay theoretical, much in all as it might be
      tempting).

      Ever watched the Hornblower series? A lot later than period
      admittedly, but I suspect that much of the learning of the ropes, so
      to speak, hadn't changed a great deal.

      > A special thank you to Lady Jadwiga who made a special trip on my
      > request to present her SCA history tapestry for display to the
      > populace. It was very well received and much talked about. I can
      > say it is most impressive in the pictures but quite a sight to see
      > in person!

      Hey Jadwiga -- Canterbury Faire is coming up in February. Go on, you
      know you'd like to come to New Zealand....Who needs Pennsic/Estrella
      etc...

      Cheers,
      katherine

      =====================================
      katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
      Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
      mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
      bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
      Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz
    • Samantha Steff
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010
        <snips galore>
        On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Vicki Hyde <vicki@...> wrote:

        > > Posted by: "Elewyiss the Jew" elewyiss@... Elewyiss
        > > Me. I am keeping an in persona journal.
        >
        > I keep meaning to get onto that. I've just found two detailed
        > chronicles for Scotland in my period, so I can write about the
        > weather and other important matters, and actually be accurate :-)
        >
        > And then there ar the 50 different items of paperwork project. I've
        > done around nine in the familiy lineage line (birthbrief, heraldic
        > visitation family tree, roll of arms etc), now I have to get onto the
        > inventories and correspondence and bills. (I'm sure Father racked up
        > a good batch of those while serving in the Scots Guard in France :-).
        >
        > Cheers,
        > katherine

        Okay, you've got my mind spinning now! My persona is mid-16th century
        Scots, and I'm dying to know what chronicles you found. Would you be
        willing to share with a fellow country-woman?

        Ilene Johnnestoune

      • Barbara
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010
          Katherine,
          My persona is lowland Scots. I would love to hear more about the
          chronicles you found. Currently I am studying Scottish music of the period
          and have found the John Purser book to be a great resource.

          Barbeta Kyrkeland