Choli Patterns (was RE: Seeking Information about India in period)

  • Laws, Amber
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
      Poked around on Google for a bit... I make no promises that any of the four I have are actually accurate to period.
      Two came from a dance troupe and make nicely fitting very supportive choli but probably have more in common with bananas than they do period patterns; and then the other two are allegedly accurate to period, but no supporting documentation was provided, and as I said I have just begun my journey, so I have not had time to do any detailed research to either confirm or deny their accuracy.
      I would be happy to email them along to you if you would like.
      Just send me an email (Amber.Laws@...) so I can send to you privately.

      Eleanor

      From: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com<mailto:AandS50ChallengeCommunity%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AandS50Challeng...

      Subject: Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] RE: Seeking Information about India
      in period

      Yes please. ...

    • Laws, Amber
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
        Due to the requests of many, I will be uploading the choli patterns to the files section. However, as stated previously I make no guarantees as to the authenticity of any of these.

        Eleanor

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
          The patterns have now been uploaded to the files section under a folder called "Choli Patterns" the only one with a date is Choli Pattern 3 which claims to a 1550 to 1630 Mughal (conjecturally). However, Choli Pattern 4 is mostly rectangular in construction, and as those of you with costuming experience can attest to rectangular construction is usually the most accurate pattern for any area in earlier periods, soooooo, theoretically using that logic, pattern 4 is probably good for pre 1550 Mughal or not... but again, no supporting documentation is provided.

          Eleanor

          alt. e-mail: KiheBard@...<mailto:KiheBard%40hotmail.com><mailto:KiheBard%40hotmail.com>
          Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen

        • lilinah@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
            >The patterns have now been uploaded to the files section under a
            >folder called "Choli Patterns" the only one with a date is Choli
            >Pattern 3 which claims to a 1550 to 1630 Mughal (conjecturally).
            >However, Choli Pattern 4 is mostly rectangular in construction, and
            >as those of you with costuming experience can attest to rectangular
            >construction is usually the most accurate pattern for any area in
            >earlier periods, soooooo, theoretically using that logic, pattern 4
            >is probably good for pre 1550 Mughal or not... but again, no
            >supporting documentation is provided.
            >
            >Eleanor

            Could you please save the one that is docx in another format? I can
            read earlier forms of Word, but not that one. Word does give various
            other formats if you do a Save As...

            Thank you.
            --
            Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
            the persona formerly known as Anahita

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
                Eleanor wrote:
                >Done! Saved as a pdf
                >
                >If you need another version, just let me know

                Many thanks!
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
                  Most welcome!

                  Eleanor

                  <<SNIP>>

                  Many thanks!

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
                    Eleanor wrote:
                    >I have in the past week just begun the somewhat arduous journey of
                    >beginning to study India during the SCA period. Unfortunately, I
                    >still know so little that I cannot be more specific regarding era or
                    >geographic location or ethnic group.
                    >
                    >So, I ask of you some of the smartest well read people in the
                    >society, where do I start? How do I locate my best sources? Does
                    >anyone here study India in our period? Do you know someone who does?

                    The issues/problems of looking at India are that the cultures of the
                    South Asian subcontinent (1) have long and complex histories going
                    back well into extremely ancient times, (2) those cultures are
                    multitudinous and varied, (3) they were influenced by non-South Asian
                    cultures - such as the Persians, with the conquest by Babur in the
                    early 16th c. which began the Mughal Empire - and (4) there are rich
                    remains from many of the cultures of the past.

                    It helps to develop a focus, but it is challenging to weed through
                    the masses of information and extant items and hone it all down to
                    one particular time and place. And, naturally, it takes research to
                    figure out on what time, place, and culture you want to do further
                    research, which is rather paradoxical :)

                    So I also recommend the SCA India list, which will likely help you
                    narrow your search.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 1, 2010
                      >The issues/problems of looking at India are that the cultures of the
                      >South Asian subcontinent (1) have long and complex histories going
                      >back well into extremely ancient times, (2) those cultures are
                      >multitudinous and varied, (3) they were influenced by non-South Asian
                      >cultures - such as the Persians, with the conquest by Babur in the
                      >early 16th c. which began the Mughal Empire - and (4) there are rich
                      >remains from many of the cultures of the past.

                      Too true, too true... but just as much as this adds challenges, it too offers opportunities and makes it interesting

                      >It helps to develop a focus, but it is challenging to weed through
                      >the masses of information and extant items and hone it all down to
                      >one particular time and place. And, naturally, it takes research to
                      >figure out on what time, place, and culture you want to do further
                      >research, which is rather paradoxical :)

                      Yes, thankfully since I am a visual person, this is made tons easier by just looking at a lot of pretty pictures and then finding out who did them, when they did them, and where, or about where.

                      >So I also recommend the SCA India list, which will likely help you
                      >narrow your search.
                      >--
                      >Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
                      >the persona formerly known as Anahita