Re: what do you think about peerage?

  • Varina Suellen Plonski
    Message 1 of 13 , May 27, 2010
      First, congratulations on your pending elevation!

      This is a hair off topic but related. The time will come when  you will want to take on apprentices.  Attached is an article I wrote some time ago and have updated over the years - you may find some of the information useful. It is, of course, my opinion and not gospel!

      Varina Suellen Plonski     >^,,^<
      To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield

    • Laws, Amber

        Message 3 of 13 , May 27, 2010
          I have not been elevated, don't see it in my future, but would love to read
          the article as well.

          Elewyiss
          sigh. I want a belt.

          On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Laws, Amber <amber.laws@...>wrote:

          > Attachments stripped, please post to file section. I have a friend who was
          > recently elevated, and I would love to pass on the article. With your
          > permission of course...
          >
          > Eleanor Daundelyon
          >

          > First, congratulations on your pending elevation!
          >
          > This is a hair off topic but related. The time will come when you will want
          > to take on apprentices. Attached is an article I wrote some time ago and
          > have updated over the years - you may find some of the information useful.
          > It is, of course, my opinion and not gospel!
          >
          > Varina Suellen Plonski >^,,^<
          > To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield

          Ro'ah Chatulim

        • Laws, Amber
          Message 4 of 13 , May 27, 2010
            Ah Elewyiss, you work hard, you do beautiful work; so do not fear, someone with the power to do something about it will someday notice... I have confidence. :)

            Eleanor
          • Elewyiss the Jew
            Message 5 of 13 , May 27, 2010
              I don't know if I want to be noticed. I just want a list of who to ask about
              what. I assume that come in the secret pouch in the belt. Along with the
              super secret handshake instructions.

              Elewyiss

              --
              Ro'ah Chatulim

            • Laws, Amber
              Message 6 of 13 , May 27, 2010
                You can get that without the belt... It just takes seeking out people with like minds. They don't have to be peers... at least not bestowed ones... synthesis of thought is often more valuable than one person's experience.

                Eleanor

                --
                Ro'ah Chatulim

              • Samantha Steff
                Message 7 of 13 , May 27, 2010
                  I can't speak for other Kingdoms, but the belts sure don't come with that
                  down here in Trimaris! :) It's been an on-going project to try and compile
                  a list of who knows what, so people know where to go with questions and
                  class requests. The best advice I can recommend is finding somebody who is
                  involved in the arts in your Kingdom and asking them about specific topics.
                  You can usually find somebody who knows something about what you're looking
                  for that way. (Seven degrees of SCAdians?)

                  Ilene

                • AlbredaA@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 27, 2010
                    In a message dated 5/27/2010 5:46:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    elewyiss@... writes:

                    I don't know if I want to be noticed. I just want a list of who to ask
                    about
                    what. I assume that come in the secret pouch in the belt. Along with the
                    super secret handshake instructions.

                    Actually, one of my goals for the Challenge was to make just such a list.
                    Anyone who wants to spearhead that, please step forward!! ;)

                  • Johnna Holloway
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 27, 2010
                      Or you could just seek out a really good research librarian.

                      Johnnae

                      On May 27, 2010, at 5:59 PM, Samantha Steff wrote:

                      > I can't speak for other Kingdoms, but the belts sure don't come with
                      > that
                      > down here in Trimaris! :) It's been an on-going project to try and
                      > compile
                      > a list of who knows what, so people know where to go with questions
                      > and
                      > class requests. The best advice I can recommend is finding somebody
                      > who is
                      > involved in the arts in your Kingdom and asking them about specific
                      > topics.
                      > You can usually find somebody who knows something about what you're
                      > looking
                      > for that way. (Seven degrees of SCAdians?)
                      >
                      > Ilene
                      >
                      > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Elewyiss the Jew
                      > <elewyiss@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > I don't know if I want to be noticed. I just want a list of who to
                      > ask
                      > > about
                      > > what. I assume that come in the secret pouch in the belt. Along
                      > with the
                      > > super secret handshake instructions.
                      > >
                      > > Elewyiss

                    • Jeanne Russell
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 27, 2010
                        Well, when you figure out the secret hand-shake instructions, will you pass
                        those along?

                        Thanks,

                        jeanne
                        Atenveldt
                        >I don't know if I want to be noticed. I just want a list of who to ask
                        >about
                        > what. I assume that come in the secret pouch in the belt. Along with the
                        > super secret handshake instructions.
                        >
                        > Elewyiss
                      • Ted Eisenstein
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 27, 2010
                          >Well, when you figure out the secret hand-shake instructions, will you pass
                          >those along?
                          She can't. Once she learns them, if she tells you, she'll have to kill you. That's
                          how they remain secret, after all. You don't know them, right? That's how effective
                          the tell-and-kill method is.

                          Or so I haven't been told.

                          Alban
                        • Jeanne Russell
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 27, 2010
                            *blink, blink*

                            "Ohhhhh"

                            Thanks for explaining. I just thought I was a mushroom once again....kept in the dark and fed a lot of ~stuff~.

                            jeanne
                            >Well, when you figure out the secret hand-shake instructions, will you pass
                            >those along?
                            She can't. Once she learns them, if she tells you, she'll have to kill you. That's
                            how they remain secret, after all. You don't know them, right? That's how effective
                            the tell-and-kill method is.

                            Or so I haven't been told.

                            Alban

                          • Amy Shuman
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 1, 2010
                              > ...someone with the power to do
                              > something about it will someday notice...

                              So I was catching up on my email after the busy weekend - much as you all are, I'm sure - when I had to comment on this one. I know I'm a little late to the conversation but it's a tangential comment that I feel needs to be said.

                              I just want everyone to keep in mind that we all have the power.
                              Maybe not to hand over the belt, but the Belts don't necessarily know where to look if we don't point them in the right direction.
                              Absolutely! Do what you love regardless of the external validation. But validate whenever you can. People don't get awards unless they're nominated.
                              Nominate,nominate,nominate.
                              And when you're done, nominate sa'more.
                              Everyday we see art projects, acts of kindness and chivalry, beautiful garb, fabulous meals, and we think ‘wow, they should really have an award for that’. And as long as all we do is think it they will never get that award.
                              If you know a Belt of the appropriate color tell them about what you saw.
                              Crippled by Peer Fear? (no worries, many are) Then put it in a letter or email. Don’t know where to send it? Check your Kingdom homepage; likely it’s got information on how to go about nominating for what awards and may even have an online form with which to do it.
                              It takes all of us.

                              …could someone please help me down off this soapbox?

                              Lady Aelfwyn Elswith of the Confraternity of St. Eve

                              Options are freedom "In order to understand what another person
                              Choices are power is saying, you must assume that it is true,
                              Choose again and try to imagine what it could be true of."
                              -George Miller, 1980

                              ~The ground's generosity takes in our compost and grows beauty!.
                              Try to be more like the ground.

                              ~If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?

                              Rumi, a 13th century Sufi poet