descriptive folk needed

  • Vicki Hyde
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
      Hello folks,

      One of my challenges is to enter every Kingdom A&S competition until
      i get to 50 entries (25 so far and counting!). And I need some
      assistance with one coming up....

      I need around half a dozen volunteers outside the Kingdom of Lochac
      who would be willing to recieve one email of approximately half a
      dozen paragraphs, rewrite the info in their own words and send it on
      to the next person. (No, it's not a medieval chain letter!)

      I am looking to simulate the vagaries of transmission of information
      regarding odd fauna in Foreign Partes. My plan is to describe half a
      dozen beasties native to this part of the world and then run it
      through the transmission process and see what comes out the other
      side. (Electronic Chinese whispers, if you will.) Ideally I need non-
      Lochacians who are not likely to recognise the beasts from the
      initial desciption.

      In period, one traveller described the Elephaunt as "having ears on
      the side of its head as a fish doth fins" and the woodcut
      illustration dutifully shows something vaguely like an elephant with
      fish fins for ears (the writer was referring to the ears sticking out
      sideways, not that they looked fishy).

      Anyone game to do this? I'd need to get the info through the chain
      reasonably quickly, so do please only put your hand up if you can
      guarantee a turnaround of under a week max.

      Hopefully,
      katherine
      =====================================
      katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
      Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
      mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
      bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
      Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz
    • D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
        On 28 Apr 2010, at 5:35 PM, Vicki Hyde wrote:

        > Hello folks,
        >
        > One of my challenges is to enter every Kingdom A&S competition until i get to 50 entries (25 so far and counting!). And I need some assistance with one coming up....

        I'm in. I'll help. I know quite a bit less than sod-all about Lochac animals. :) Probably if I saw a picture of some of them, I'd do about as odd a job at describing them as any medieval European would have done, in fact.
        D'vorah bint al-Attar
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
        dvorah@...
        Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
          Sounds like fun, count me in.

          Elewyiss

          --
          Ro'ah Chatulim

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
            >> I need around half a dozen volunteers outside the Kingdom of Lochac who would be willing to recieve one email of approximately half a
            >> dozen paragraphs, rewrite the info in their own words and send it on to the next person. (No, it's not a medieval chain letter!)

            Sounds like fun, I'm in!

            Naomi

          • J.H. Grace
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
              Oooh! Ooooh! Pick Me!! Pick ME!!!!!

              Hugh

              On 28 April 2010 18:35, Vicki Hyde <vicki@...> wrote:

              > I need around half a dozen volunteers outside the Kingdom of Lochac
              > who would be willing to recieve one email of approximately half a
              > dozen paragraphs, rewrite the info in their own words and send it on
              > to the next person. (No, it's not a medieval chain letter!)

              --
              In collatione informatica ululans audiri non potest.

              Fiber arts blog: http://hughtauerner.blogspot.com/
              Personal stuff is at Dreamwidth: http://hugh-mannity.dreamwidth.org/
            • geccoeert@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
                I also would be interested.
                Miyamoto no Akikonomu

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                  Me, me!
                  I live in Kingdom of the East, Northern Region.
                  Asther

                  On Apr 28, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Vicki Hyde wrote:

                  > Hello folks,
                  >
                  > One of my challenges is to enter every Kingdom A&S competition until
                  > i get to 50 entries (25 so far and counting!). And I need some
                  > assistance with one coming up....
                  >
                  > I need around half a dozen volunteers outside the Kingdom of Lochac
                  > who would be willing to recieve one email of approximately half a
                  > dozen paragraphs, rewrite the info in their own words and send it on
                  > to the next person. (No, it's not a medieval chain letter!)
                  >
                  > I am looking to simulate the vagaries of transmission of information
                  > regarding odd fauna in Foreign Partes. My plan is to describe half a
                  > dozen beasties native to this part of the world and then run it
                  > through the transmission process and see what comes out the other
                  > side. (Electronic Chinese whispers, if you will.) Ideally I need non-
                  > Lochacians who are not likely to recognise the beasts from the
                  > initial desciption.
                  >
                  > In period, one traveller described the Elephaunt as "having ears on
                  > the side of its head as a fish doth fins" and the woodcut
                  > illustration dutifully shows something vaguely like an elephant with
                  > fish fins for ears (the writer was referring to the ears sticking out
                  > sideways, not that they looked fishy).
                  >
                  > Anyone game to do this? I'd need to get the info through the chain
                  > reasonably quickly, so do please only put your hand up if you can
                  > guarantee a turnaround of under a week max.
                  >
                  > Hopefully,
                  > katherine
                  > =====================================
                  > katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
                  > Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
                  > mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
                  > bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
                  > Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz

                • Verena Entenwirt
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                    I want to Play! Sounds like a blast.

                    -Verena (Middle Kingdom)

                    --
                    Lady Verena Entenwirth
                    www.broomstich.com

                  • sandy_walden
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                      I would love to play - I mean help.
                      Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Middle Marches

                      Isillin Teague

                      --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Hyde" <vicki@...> wrote:

                      > Hello folks,
                      >
                      > One of my challenges is to enter every Kingdom A&S competition until
                      > i get to 50 entries (25 so far and counting!). And I need some
                      > assistance with one coming up....
                      >
                      > I need around half a dozen volunteers outside the Kingdom of Lochac
                      > who would be willing to recieve one email of approximately half a
                      > dozen paragraphs, rewrite the info in their own words and send it on
                      > to the next person. (No, it's not a medieval chain letter!)
                      >
                      > I am looking to simulate the vagaries of transmission of information
                      > regarding odd fauna in Foreign Partes. My plan is to describe half a
                      > dozen beasties native to this part of the world and then run it
                      > through the transmission process and see what comes out the other
                      > side. (Electronic Chinese whispers, if you will.) Ideally I need non-
                      > Lochacians who are not likely to recognise the beasts from the
                      > initial desciption.
                      >
                      > In period, one traveller described the Elephaunt as "having ears on
                      > the side of its head as a fish doth fins" and the woodcut
                      > illustration dutifully shows something vaguely like an elephant with
                      > fish fins for ears (the writer was referring to the ears sticking out
                      > sideways, not that they looked fishy).
                      >
                      > Anyone game to do this? I'd need to get the info through the chain
                      > reasonably quickly, so do please only put your hand up if you can
                      > guarantee a turnaround of under a week max.
                      >
                      > Hopefully,
                      > katherine
                      > =====================================
                      > katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
                      > Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
                      > mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
                      > bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
                      > Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz

                    • Anthony Satoh
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                        I'll toss my hat into the mix as well.

                        I'm from the land of the Vanished Woods, in the Middle Kingdom.

                        -Ercc

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                          You mean to rewrite it in our own words in persona, right??
                          Asther

                          On Apr 28, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Vicki Hyde wrote:

                          > I need around half a dozen volunteers outside the Kingdom of Lochac
                          > who would be willing to recieve one email of approximately half a
                          > dozen paragraphs, rewrite the info in their own words and send it on
                          > to the next person. (No, it's not a medieval chain letter!)

                        • Karen Tricomo
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                            Me too!!  I'm from the West Kingdom, Principality of the Mists...

                            YIS,
                            Catherine Holcombe of Arden...

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                              My thanks to all the folks who put their hands up to help out with my
                              bestiary idea.

                              I have enough from the first batch of hands (Johnnae, Jaume, D'vorah,
                              Elewyiss, Naomi, Hugh) to run the project, but more are welcome to
                              join in the fun and share the load.

                              I'll be in touch with y'all individually with instructions next week
                              (assuming my cramming between a 25th wedding anniversary party this
                              weekend and May Crown next weekend gives me space to breathe!).

                              Thanks once again,
                              katherine
                            • lucieduf@uottawa.ca
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 30, 2010