lamps

  • Andrea AskenDunn
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
      Hello all,
      I am looking at lamps in 13th to 14th century manuscripts. They seem
      to be hanging by chains from the ceiling. They seem to be bowl-shaped,
      with a base.
      And that is all I can tell. What are they made of? Ceramic? Glass?
      Where is the flame? Does it hang off the side? Reflect off the
      ceiling? How many wicks, and what keeps them above oil level? I can't
      see any of this, and I haven't been able to find any websites that
      tell me. Are there any extant examples from about 1300 near Barcelona
      in museums somewhere??
      Thanks!
      Asther
    • Siegfried Berg
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2010
        A lot of good info on period lighting overall at this site

        http://www.markland.org/docs/lettherebelight.pdf

        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Andrea AskenDunn <askendunn@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I am looking at lamps in 13th to 14th century manuscripts. They seem
        > to be hanging by chains from the ceiling. They seem to be bowl-shaped,
        > with a base.
        > And that is all I can tell. What are they made of? Ceramic? Glass?
        > Where is the flame? Does it hang off the side? Reflect off the
        > ceiling? How many wicks, and what keeps them above oil level? I can't
        > see any of this, and I haven't been able to find any websites that
        > tell me. Are there any extant examples from about 1300 near Barcelona
        > in museums somewhere??
        > Thanks!
        > Asther

      • Elewyiss the Jew
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2010
          Wow! Cool thank you.

          Elewyiss

          --
          Ro'ah Chatulim

        • jason jobin
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
            Arab Boy has don a lot of research on lamps and has recreated many in glass.  Try googleing him i know he has been a merchant a t Pennsic if that helps

            Eric