period pins

  • lucieduf@uottawa.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2010
      Have you noticed that when you buy a man's shirt, there are strange little
      pins used to keep it neatly folded in its package? They are mild steal,
      come in two sizes, short and long, and have bulbous metal heads. If one
      does not look too closely, they look amazingly like hand made period pins.

      I asked the members of my lacemakers guild to go through their stash of
      pins and sort these out for me. In no time, I've ended up with well over a
      hundred of them. The longer ones I use as wimple pins and the shorter ones
      are in my medieval period sewing kit.

      I keep my pins in a small cylindrical treen box since I have too many for
      a pin roll.

      Lucie Peltier (Lucie DuFresne)
      Canton of Caldrithig
    • AlbredaA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2010
        In a message dated 3/5/2010 7:40:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        lucieduf@... writes:

        Have you noticed that when you buy a man's shirt, there are strange little
        pins used to keep it neatly folded in its package? They are mild steal,
        come in two sizes, short and long, and have bulbous metal heads. If one
        does not look too closely, they look amazingly like hand made period pins.

        NEAT idea, and thrifty too! Thank you!

      • Christine Fiebig
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2010
          I think I know which pins you mean. That's a great idea. I'll look
          through my collection of pins and through my mother's too. She'll surely
          exchange one sort of pins for another.

          Ellina