Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Looking for sewing kit

  • Verena Entenwirt
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
      I don't know if I am the one you are talking about. I am putting together
      sewing lessons, and the first one was on sewing kits. As part of that, I am
      putting together documentation for period sewing notions.

      Is anyone else working on period sewing notions?

      Verena

      --
      Lady Verena Entenwirth
      www.broomstich.com

    • Andrea AskenDunn
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
        I wasn't, but I could! It is one of the things I do and would fit in
        with my persona development. How much information is there on this
        topic?
        Asther

        On Feb 28, 2010, at 6:20 PM, Verena Entenwirt wrote:

        > I don't know if I am the one you are talking about. I am putting
        > together
        > sewing lessons, and the first one was on sewing kits. As part of
        > that, I am
        > putting together documentation for period sewing notions.
        >
        > Is anyone else working on period sewing notions?
        >
        > Verena
        >
        > On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM, <manus@...> wrote:
        >

        >> Hi all,
        >>
        >> A while back (and quite a number of messages ago!) there was a person
        >> making a period sewing kit ... and I'm sure I remember something
        >> about
        >> putting up pictures once they'd finished.
        >>
        >> Of course, I completely forgot about it until now, when I decided
        >> I'd like
        >> to put together something similar.
        >>
        >> Are you out there?
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >> Emma (the disorganised!)
        >>
        >> PS: I did start that dance website, but being that I'm not a computer
        >> geek, I'm still fiddling with how to format the dance
        >> reconstructions I'd
        >> like to put on it, so there's no meat to the pages yet
        >> http://paradise.gen.nz/~manus/
        >>

        > --
        > Lady Verena Entenwirth
        > www.broomstich.com

      • eithni
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
          I was putting together and selling "non-obtrusively modern" sewing kits (i.e., not documentable to a particular time and place, but not visually offensive either.

          My "ad" is viewable on my blog, including pictures of the kits and the list of included items.

          ~Eithni
        • Miretar@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
            Hi,
            I also have been trying to assemble a medieval sewing kit, but have been
            limited by time and money.

            We are ordering the beech dowels to make thread winders similar to those
            in the Museum of London Accesories book. I have a gridded schematic of the
            thread winder to be used for creating the winders on the lathe. I will be
            happy to share this diagram with anyone who would like it.

            I have been trying to get good threadwinders for my silk floss, and toyed
            with the idea of a period sewing kit.
            Then the Swedish reenactment blog showed this must have accessory:

            _http://haandkraft.blogspot.com/2009/01/thread-reels-ca-1200.html_
            (http://haandkraft.blogspot.com/2009/01/thread-reels-ca-1200.html)

            So I decided to work on a period sewing kit. The Swedish bloggers added
            more fuel to the fire with this item:

            _http://haandkraft.blogspot.com/2010/02/needlecase.html_
            (http://haandkraft.blogspot.com/2010/02/needlecase.html)

            I am trying to convince my husband to make it--but his leatherwork skills
            are out of practice and he says he wouldn't know where to begin.

            In the mean time I have been assembling some pictures of period sewing
            items from Karen Lardatter's site, and a few other sites.

            One of the most interesting things I found was a medieval threadwinder made
            from a piece of water reed. I would like to recreate this one, but have no
            source of water reeds.
            Here is a link to period presents, showing a period sewing kit:

            _http://coblaith.net/PeriodPresents/SewingKit/default.html_
            (http://coblaith.net/PeriodPresents/SewingKit/default.html)

            I have been lining up suppliers in the mean time.

            Reconstructing History has period pins & needles. but they are $10 each.

            Gaukler Medievalwares has a blunt needle with I will probably buy.

            Fettered Cock pewter has some sewing supplies.

            The Spanish peacock has wooden awls & bone needles, and lovely
            threadwinders--they are just a little small.

            One of the most interesting sources is Chimera Costuming in the UK--they
            have some great supplies at reasonable prices.
            _http://www.chimera-costumes.co.uk/shop/shop.php?d=1_
            (http://www.chimera-costumes.co.uk/shop/shop.php?d=1)

            For Bentwood Boxes:
            _http://www.shakerworkshops.com/catalog/browse/shaker-oval-boxes/_
            (http://www.shakerworkshops.com/catalog/browse/shaker-oval-boxes/)

            These look good. I am leary of boxes that are too inexpensive--they surface
            of the wood needs to be ultra smooth so that it won't catch the thread and
            the yarn.

            I hope that this helps.

            In the meantime if any one has water reeds, just break them along the
            joints, smooth the ends and you have period threadwinders.

            Regards
            Heike/Sophia

          • eithni
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
              Doh. And the LINK to the blog post is:

              http://eithni.livejournal.com/182140.html

              ~ Eithni the Absent-minded

              My "ad" is viewable on my blog, including pictures of the kits and the list of included items.

              ~Eithni
            • Berdanier
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
                What period are you looking for in a sewing kit?

                Cathryn

              • katerinkalvovicha
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
                  there was a person
                  > making a period sewing kit ... and I'm sure I remember something about
                  > putting up pictures once they'd finished.

                  This may have been Mistress Eithni Talorgain from Northshield. I just picked up some new scissors for her kits a few weeks ago, actually.

                  -Kat
                • eithni
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010
                    The directions for making those little leather needle cases are at:

                    http://coblaith.net/PeriodPresents/SewingKit/leathercase.html

                    Not my page, I've just appreciated it in the past.

                  • AlbredaA@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 4, 2010
                      In a message dated 3/1/2010 12:16:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      Miretar@... writes:

                      Reconstructing History has period pins & needles. but they are $10 each.

                      Their bronze needles were actually $7 at Birka, and their new silver ones
                      were $20, but their pins are still just $2 each, even though he's gotten
                      WAY better at making them - they are much finer than they used to be.

                      Can you tell that I spent some time admiring their wares? ;)

                    • AlbredaA@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 4, 2010
                        Miretar@... writes:

                        In the meantime if any one has water reeds, just break them along the
                        joints, smooth the ends and you have period threadwinders.

                        Anyone know specifically what KIND of water reeds? I can find darned near
                        anything, and it would be fun to hunt with my kids. :)

                      • Christine Fiebig
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 4, 2010
                          Your kit looks great! And the ad is really cool too.
                          Now I want to go and assemble my own period sewing kit. But I don't have
                          time, need to finish half a dozen sewing projects first (some period,
                          some modern, but all with a deadline of four months or less) before I
                          can dig into searching for a period sewing kit. But I will get it done
                          within the A&S 50 challenge.

                          Ellina

                        • Miretar@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 8, 2010
                            On water reeds:

                            Kempten, where the threadwinder was found, is in very southern Germany and
                            landlocked. Therefore this is most likely a freshwater reed. I looked up
                            "schilfrohr" the German word for water reed and found out the following:

                            There are 3 varieties of freshwater reed, and al of them occurr in Europe.
                            So basically any freshwater reed type will do. My efforts to spot reeds
                            here in Virgina have come to nought.

                            Some more info on the original finds:
                            The reeds are 5.79 cm long and .6 cm wide and 7.59 cm long and .7-9 cm
                            wide respectively. They date to the 15th century.

                            There were found in the Muehlberg section of Kempten, during renovations.
                            The residents of these houses seem to have used the spaces between the walls
                            and under the floorboards as a medieval equivalent of a "junk drawer."
                            Archeologists have found a variety of worn items in these spaces: shoes,
                            pouches, a straw hat, playing cards. broken spindles etc. in "Haus 8." While I
                            do know that it was tradition in some parts of medieval Germany to
                            delivberately wall up a set of clothing into a new house, this discovery amazes me.

                            The book that describes the finds ins "Buergerfleiss und Fuerstenglanz"
                            Reichstadt un Fuerstenabtei bei Kempten by Wolfgang Jahn, Josef Kirmeier,
                            Wolfgan Petz, and Evamaria Brockhoff. published by, Haus der Bayerische
                            Geschichte 1998. ISBN 3-927233-60-9

                            If anyone finds suitable water reeds, please let me kow.

                            Regards
                            Heike

                          • AlbredaA@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 8, 2010
                              In a message dated 3/8/2010 4:51:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                              Miretar@... writes:

                              Kempten, where the threadwinder was found, is in very southern Germany and
                              landlocked. Therefore this is most likely a freshwater reed. I looked up
                              "schilfrohr" the German word for water reed and found out the following:

                              There are 3 varieties of freshwater reed, and al of them occurr in Europe.
                              So basically any freshwater reed type will do. My efforts to spot reeds
                              here in Virgina have come to nought.

                              Some more info on the original finds:
                              The reeds are 5.79 cm long and .6 cm wide and 7.59 cm long and .7-9 cm
                              wide respectively. They date to the 15th century.

                              Thank you VERY much for this information - I'll see what I can do! :)

                            • Honour Horne-Jaruk
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 8, 2010
                                Respected friends:
                                --- On Mon, 3/8/10, Miretar@... <Miretar@...> wrote:
                                On water reeds: (much snippage)
                                Kempten, where the threadwinder was found, is in very southern Germany and landlocked. Therefore this is most likely a freshwater reed. I looked up "schilfrohr" the German word for water reed and found out the following:

                                There are 3 varieties of freshwater reed, and all of them occur in Europe.

                                So basically any freshwater reed type will do. My efforts to spot reeds
                                here in Virgina have come to naught.

                                If anyone finds suitable water reeds, please let me know.
                                Regards

                                Heike

                                You will find reeds of European origin all over the US East coast. If you can find a topographic map online, check the edges of marshes, especially riverine estuaries.
                                I usually see them in low places next to highways, where they are sometimes deliberately planted in the hope of providing habitat. Unfortunately, the European reed grows too densely for anything as large as even the smallest wild ducks-- part of the reason their population tanked in the last century, as the invader reed crowded out the native species.
                                Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
                                (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
                                Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

                                If you're doing your best, and your best isn't very good, that's life. If you aren't doing your best, _that's cheating_.
                              • Edmund de Wilden and Juliana Osborne
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                                  I just found this site which has some period pins, needles, bodkins, etc.

                                  http://www.neheleniapatterns.com/english/englishsite.html

                                  Juliana

                                  --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Christine Fiebig <christine@...> wrote:

                                  > Your kit looks great! And the ad is really cool too.
                                  > Now I want to go and assemble my own period sewing kit. But I don't have
                                  > time, need to finish half a dozen sewing projects first (some period,
                                  > some modern, but all with a deadline of four months or less) before I
                                  > can dig into searching for a period sewing kit. But I will get it done
                                  > within the A&S 50 challenge.
                                  >
                                  > Ellina
                                  >
                                  > eithni schrieb:
                                  > > Doh. And the LINK to the blog post is:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://eithni.livejournal.com/182140.html
                                  > >
                                  > > ~ Eithni the Absent-minded
                                  > >
                                  > > My "ad" is viewable on my blog, including pictures of the kits and the list of included items.
                                  > >
                                  > > ~Eithni

                                • Elewyiss the Jew
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                                    You are an evil temptress. Thank you for sharing.

                                    Elewyiss

                                    --
                                    Ro'ah Chatulim

                                  • Verena Entenwirt
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 22, 2010
                                      I just wanted to let everyone know, that I just went back and tried to put
                                      all these links in the link section of the yahoogroups site.

                                      -Verena

                                      --
                                      Lady Verena Entenwirth
                                      www.broomstich.com