Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Embroidery question

  • Johnna Holloway
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2010
      The answer of course would be to work up a small sample piece
      on swatches of the fabrics in question using the threads you intend to
      use later for the
      cuffs and collars.

      See how it works up. Does it wash or can it be cleaned? That might
      tell you a lot
      about your choices.

      Johnnae llyn Lewis

      > >I will be using primarily linen but also some silk. The embroidery
      > designs
      > >will be linear, worked in stem & chain stitch
      >

      > Hi,
      > I am planning to do some simple embroidery on the collars & cuffs
      of garb.
      > What kind of underlining or support material should I use to
      stiffen the
      > fabric?
      >
      > Regards
      > Sophia

    • Michelle Heitman
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2010
        >2: Back the fabric with another piece of the exact same fabric.3: If you do 2,

        >baste the two layers together very, very well so that you don't end up with

        >wrinkles on one layer that aren't there on the other. If you're working with silk

        >fabric, which is notorious for permanent holes wherever a needle has gone

        >through the cloth, then baste along the lines the embroidery will follow, and

        >pull out an inch of basting just before you embroider that inch.

        OoooOOOOOO! I haven't tried that!!! THANK YOU!

        Fiondel