Dyeing

  • geccoeert@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2010
      Greetings,

      I have only dyed with silk, and have never tried onion skins. However, one of my dye books (Jenny Dean's Wild Color) suggests that the amount of onion skins should equal 1/2 the weight of the fiber/fabric. Onion skin doesn't necessarily need a mordent, but the author suggests that an Alum mordant to improve colorfastness.

      Usually with a plant based fiber, you need t alternate alum bath with tanin bath (see Rita Buchanan's Dyer's Garden.) Alum bath is 1/2 cup of Alum to 4 gallons of water, soak material 12-24 hours. Rinse well with in plain water. Soak in a tanin bath (several ounces of sumac leaves or 2 Tbsp tannic acid in 4 gallons of water) for another 12-24 hours. Rinse well, then soak another 12-24 hours in the Alum bath. Then dye.

      Best of luck
      Miyamoto
    • Dianna
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
        I'm bringing this to the list because there is so much brain power and
        talent concentrated here. One of my projects is to make a pair of
        embroidered festival gloves out of nalbinding for a 10th century Dutch
        middle merchant. (Someone who is neither of an exceptionally rich
        merchant house but neither poor either.) I've gotten side tracked with
        the entire process and caught up in the dyeing of wool for embroidery.
        (This is a sheep to shawl process, literally, I didn't shear the sheep
        but I helped.) I'm also spinning the wool for the gloves and not knowing
        how to spin very well before I started the project has stopped me.

        While I've gotten a good start on documentation of dyes available and
        used from chemical analysis of dyes used on existing pieces and museum
        shots of pieces, I'd really like to look at some medieval treatise type
        writings on dyers. (Yes, I have "The Dyer's Companion" but it is too
        late for period. Can anyone recommend some sources or books to look up?

        And yes, I know a Dutch merchant's wife wouldn't have spun her own wool
        nor dyed it but that's ok. I believe for this project that my
        understanding of the period aesthetic involved will increase the
        authenticity of the finished piece. I mean who knew that purple would be
        relatively easy to produce with indigo or wode and madder but green was
        difficult to get? (I've gotten several yellowish greens and a color that
        my husband describes as puke green, and a lovely teal, but so far no
        true green! I need to get a hold of some weld!)

        Anyway, would love some suggestions for period writings. Thank you.
        Avacyn
      • Courtney Hess
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
          I have been using a book for commercial dyers in period called Segreti per Colouri. I got a very easy, nice black from it for my silk embroidery. The Allerley Mackel might be heful too. It's more of a hints from help isle thing, but you might find a gem.
          Heodez De Talento Minotto

          Sent from my iPad

          On Oct 29, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Dianna <avacyn@...> wrote:

          > I'm bringing this to the list because there is so much brain power and
          > talent concentrated here. One of my projects is to make a pair of
          > embroidered festival gloves out of nalbinding for a 10th century Dutch
          > middle merchant. (Someone who is neither of an exceptionally rich
          > merchant house but neither poor either.) I've gotten side tracked with
          > the entire process and caught up in the dyeing of wool for embroidery.
          > (This is a sheep to shawl process, literally, I didn't shear the sheep
          > but I helped.) I'm also spinning the wool for the gloves and not knowing
          > how to spin very well before I started the project has stopped me.
          >
          > While I've gotten a good start on documentation of dyes available and
          > used from chemical analysis of dyes used on existing pieces and museum
          > shots of pieces, I'd really like to look at some medieval treatise type
          > writings on dyers. (Yes, I have "The Dyer's Companion" but it is too
          > late for period. Can anyone recommend some sources or books to look up?
          >
          > And yes, I know a Dutch merchant's wife wouldn't have spun her own wool
          > nor dyed it but that's ok. I believe for this project that my
          > understanding of the period aesthetic involved will increase the
          > authenticity of the finished piece. I mean who knew that purple would be
          > relatively easy to produce with indigo or wode and madder but green was
          > difficult to get? (I've gotten several yellowish greens and a color that
          > my husband describes as puke green, and a lovely teal, but so far no
          > true green! I need to get a hold of some weld!)
          >
          > Anyway, would love some suggestions for period writings. Thank you.
          > Avacyn

        • Giuliana del Chiaro
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012
            Heodez,

            Would it be possible to post that recipe in the files along with the title, writer, etc? I've been looking for a period recipe for dyeing silk as part of an Art Sci project.

            Thank you!
            Giuliana