Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] music

  • Andrea AskenDunn
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2010
      I am asking my mother. She plays music with me sometimes, but is not
      in the SCA. I would classify her as a serious amateur, and one of her
      groups includes a singer. I think she would be interested. (I would be
      too, but I am less serious than she is).

      Asther de NaSimha

      On Dec 25, 2009, at 12:37 AM, tedeisenstein wrote:

      > As some of you might remember, I've been digitally photographing
      > some old books and distributing said photographs to interested
      > parties in the SCA. It only now occurred to me that there may be
      > interested parties _outside_ of the SCA....
      >
      > So I wonders, I does: are any of you in or have good friends who are
      > in professional, semi-professional, or serious-amateur old-music
      > groups ("old" being defined as including music before 1600) who do
      > vocal stuff (as in, not just instrumental)? And who would be
      > interested in getting data DVD's full of (possibly never been
      > published since 1550ish) good, old music (sheet music, that'd be,
      > not music music, errr, ah, hell, you know what I'm talking about)?
      >
      > This occurs to me now because I'm in the middle of neatening up the
      > photographs of a six-volume collection of motets written for the
      > Hapsburg court that's just crying out for modern performances. And
      > there are other books I've already done (mostly Gregorian Chants,
      > but also including other fare).
      >
      > I have stuff. Are there groups wanting to use it?
      >
      > Let me know, either here or privately - alban at socket dot net
      >
      > (I wonder: how many SCA folk get to practice their skills mundanely,
      > too?)

    • Ann Franchi
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 22, 2010
        May I forward this to my Kingdom list? There is at least one person I can
        think of who might be interested, and I don't believe he is on this list.

        Anitra

        --
        "Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold
        thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."

      • Ted Eisenstein
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 22, 2010
          >May I forward this to my Kingdom list? There is at least one person I can
          >think of who might be interested, and I don't believe he is on this list.

          Yeah sure you betcha why not?

          Alban
        • Zohra Rawling
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 22, 2010
            I would love this. I don't general perform music in the SCA because it
            is my mundane profession.

            Ysabella

            >> I have stuff. Are there groups wanting to use it?
            >>
            >> Let me know, either here or privately - alban at socket dot net
            >>
            >> (I wonder: how many SCA folk get to practice their skills mundanely, too?)

          • L. Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 23, 2010
              *raises hand* May I get this too? I perform in the SCA even though I
              sing/act mundanely – it’s a very different skill set to perform this type of
              music than opera and musical theatre. I’m working with my Barony to perform
              more music, and this would be a great addition to our library. Come to
              think of it, I’m the Kingdom’s Librarian’s Deputy, and it might make her
              smile. We could name our musical cyber library folder after you, ma cher,
              if you would be pleased.

              Thank you for your generosity – how would you like me to get a DVD for
              burning to you? I’m very excited about this; I do performance Art/Sci’s,
              and I sense one of my upcoming ones is located in your collection.

              Vôtre, en service,

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 23, 2010
                >Thank you for your generosity – how would you like me to get a DVD for
                >burning to you?

                Don't. I'll eventually need postal addresses and some money to cover
                expenses, but that'd be all.

                Alban
              • Michelle Heitman
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 23, 2010
                  Me, too, please, Alban! I would LOVE to have this.

                  Fiondel

                  To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
                  From: alban@...
                  Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:25:41 -0600
                  Subject: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: music

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 23, 2010
                    >Me, too, please, Alban! I would LOVE to have this.

                    Errr, not to stomp on anyone's enthusiasm, but it's getting to the point
                    that my original intent is slowly waning. I am trying to target groups
                    - professional, semi-professional, serious amateur - not just individuals.

                    If you're going to use the DVD's in a group, ask away; if you know of
                    a group that'd love to have the set, tell them and let them contact
                    me. If you want it for yourself, you'll have to wait quite a while.

                    Remember, the complete set will be 7? 8? disks, and I am currently
                    sorta unwilling to duplicate the whole set for just one person?

                    Alban
                  • Cynthia Haggerty
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 25 7:03 PM
                      Who can point me in the direction of pictures of period music instruments.
                      I'd like to begin a collection for the Youth to play at events.

                      --
                      Lady Jacintha of Highland Foorde
                      Barony of Highland Foorde Youth Officer

                      * Nam in dando recipimus *
                      * For it is in giving that we receive *
                      * Francis of Assisi 1185-1226 *

                    • Ian Green
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 25 8:06 PM
                        You might want to contact the staff for the upcoming Known World Dance and
                        Music Symposium being held in the Middle Kingdom. I understand that there
                        will be a petting zoo of replica period instruments there, just like the
                        one last year but perhaps bigger.

                        The event website:

                        http://www.kwdms9.com/

                        Yours in Service,

                        Lord Ian the Green

                        On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Cynthia Haggerty <jacintha74@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Who can point me in the direction of pictures of period music instruments.
                        > I'd like to begin a collection for the Youth to play at events.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Lady Jacintha of Highland Foorde
                        > Barony of Highland Foorde Youth Officer
                        > Maryland Vice-Chancellor of Youth
                        > Kingdom of Atlantia
                        > Per fess argent and azure, a sprig of harebells azure slipped and leaved
                        > vert and a compass rose argent
                        > jacintha74@...
                        >
                        > * Nam in dando recipimus *
                        > * For it is in giving that we receive *
                        > * Francis of Assisi 1185-1226 *

                        Yours In Service,

                        Lord Ian the Green

                      • Christine Vogel
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 26 7:02 AM
                          The Cloister in NYC had a good display over last summer.  They may have some pictures on their web site.   Look under kids events.

                          Happy Hunting - Christine of Marinus

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 26 7:26 AM
                            Try this link from the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/search-the-collections?ft=musical+inst
                            ruments_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/search-the-collections?ft=musical+instruments)
                            The dates vary, so you will have to rummage around, It show instruments in
                            their collection and paintings of people playing instruments, The zoom
                            feature is first rate.

                            Here is a link to one of their late period recorders:

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180018966?rpp=6
                            0&pg=97&ft=music&pos=5774_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180018966?rpp=60&pg=97&ft=music&pos=5774)
                            A lute:
                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180015126?rpp=6
                            0&pg=94&ft=music&pos=5612--scroll_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180015126?rpp=60&pg=94&ft=music&pos=5612--scroll)
                            down for more images of the object

                            And other instruments in their collection:

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180012282?rpp=6
                            0&pg=59&ft=music&pos=3532_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180012282?rpp=60&pg=59&ft=music&pos=3532)

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180014811?rpp=6
                            0&pg=58&ft=music&pos=3460_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180014811?rpp=60&pg=58&ft=music&pos=3460)

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180014816?rpp=6
                            0&pg=58&ft=music&pos=3464_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180014816?rpp=60&pg=58&ft=music&pos=3464)

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180015512?rpp=6
                            0&pg=58&ft=music&pos=3469_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180015512?rpp=60&pg=58&ft=music&pos=3469)

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180013528?rpp=6
                            0&pg=57&ft=music&pos=3415_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180013528?rpp=60&pg=57&ft=music&pos=3415)

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180013329?rpp=6
                            0&pg=46&ft=music&pos=2753_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180013329?rpp=60&pg=46&ft=music&pos=2753)

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180015437?rpp=6
                            0&pg=27&ft=music&pos=1616_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180015437?rpp=60&pg=27&ft=music&pos=1616)

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180015764?rpp=6
                            0&pg=4&ft=music&pos=182_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180015764?rpp=60&pg=4&ft=music&pos=182)

                            _http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180013470?rpp=6
                            0&pg=47&ft=music&pos=2764_
                            (http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/180013470?rpp=60&pg=47&ft=music&pos=2764)
                            Musical instruments in the V&A

                            _http://collections.vam.ac.uk/search/?listing_type=&offset=0&limit=15&narrow
                            =&extrasearch=&q=musical+instruments&commit=Search&quality=0&objectnamesearc
                            h=&placesearch=&after=&after-adbc=AD&before=&before-adbc=AD&namesearch=&mate
                            rialsearch=&mnsearch=&locationsearch_
                            (http://collections.vam.ac.uk/search/?listing_type=&offset=0&limit=15&narrow=&extrasearch=&q=musical+instruments&c
                            ommit=Search&quality=0&objectnamesearch=&placesearch=&after=&after-adbc=AD&b
                            efore=&before-adbc=AD&namesearch=&materialsearch=&mnsearch=&locationsearch)
                            =

                            If you are looking for elegant images of young ladies playing instruments,
                            check out the artist "The Master of the Female Half Lengths," Northern
                            Renaissance Art is a particularly good source of realistic images. For older
                            sources try:
                            _http://image.ox.ac.uk/show?collection=bodleian&manuscript=msbodl264_
                            (http://image.ox.ac.uk/show?collection=bodleian&manuscript=msbodl264) ---the
                            romance of Alexander has many margin ptgs of musicians--including lots of
                            drums.

                            The page is in German, but has some good pics:
                            _http://www.alte-musik-forum.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=382_
                            (http://www.alte-musik-forum.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=382)
                            Also:
                            The Codex Mannesse has pictures of Musicians:
                            _http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg848_
                            (http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg848) , as do the Cantiagos Alfonso the Wise

                            For once Google images did not disappoint; the search for medieval music
                            turned up some nice pics:

                            _http://www.google.com/search?q=medieval+music&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Ac4
                            &rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=
                            imvnsb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JUSZT8TfL8KM6QHbscjMBg&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807_
                            (http://www.google.com/search?q=medieval+music&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Ac4&rls=org.mozilla:en
                            -US:official&prmd=imvnsb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JUSZT8TfL8KM6QHb
                            scjMBg&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807)

                            And finally the motherlode of manuscripts, the digital collection of online
                            manuscripts from the British Musem:

                            _http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/welcome.htm_
                            (http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/welcome.htm)

                            And finally to set the mood, a video of a performance of "Musica du Edle
                            Kunst" (music thou noble art).

                            _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBfnkJJfNVI_
                            (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBfnkJJfNVI)

                            O Musica, du edle Kunst,
                            dir wird groß Lob gegeben;
                            dann du viel Lust und Kurzweil bringst,
                            erfrischt das traurig Leben.
                            Wo du hinkommst, da ist groß Freud
                            mit Tanzen, Singen und Springen;
                            bei dir wohnt selten Traurigkeit,
                            das Herz vor Freuden tut brinnen.
                            O Musica, du edle Kunst!

                            ³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³

                            O Music, noble art

                            O Music, noble art,
                            much praise is lavished upon you,
                            for you bring great pleasure and entertain us,
                            renewing our sorrowfull lives.
                            Wherever you go, there is great joy
                            with dancing, singing and skipping.
                            Sadness rarely dwells with you,