Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Viking Apron Question

  • AlbredaA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2009
      I'm making a Viking apron dress myself right now, actually.

      There are a number of variations - three and four panel (all the same, with
      gores between, as in that link that someone else sent you), and Thora's
      front and back the same, sides different.

      Heck, I still have one of the old 'taco' versions that I converted into a
      tablecloth when that interpretation went out of style!

      This site (_http://www.silverdor.org/viking/vikingad.html_
      (http://www.silverdor.org/viking/vikingad.html) ) has the best directions for measuring
      out the three-panel version that I've seen, but the basic measurements are
      the same for this and for Thora's version, as in your sketch: use from just
      above your bust to just above your natural waist for the bodice, and from
      there to anywhere between just below the knee and mid-shin for your skirt
      length.

      Good luck!

    • Christine Vogel
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
        That's odd.  In Atlantia, I don't believe I've seen the three panel apron dress.  The ones I've seen here are front panel, side panel, side gores.  Thora's pattern, that someone gave a link to previously, seems to be of the two panel type.  Could you explain a little more about the background / research behind the three panel version.  Are there exemplars of the two types?  Is one a regional variation of the other?

        Thank you  - Christine of Marinus, Illuminator
        (Who still hasn't progressed past t-tunics but would love to)

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
          In a message dated 12/10/2009 8:45:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          ckvogel_23456@... writes:

          Could you explain a little more about the background / research behind the
          three panel version. Are there exemplars of the two types? Is one a
          regional variation of the other?

          The biggest thing folks need to know about apron-dresses is that we don't
          have ANY extant examples - from any era, or any location. We have a few
          fragments, and that's it!

          Personally, I LOVE this, as it gives lots of room for experimental
          archeology. >:)

        • Baroness Bianca the Inquisitive
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
            http://www.silverdor.org/viking/vikingad.html

            This page really explains the layout and construction of the 3-panel dress.
            It seems a little odd, until you get it all together, and on. It's quite
            comfortable, and very efficient with fabric use. I was amazed at how little
            fabric it actually uses!

            Enjoy!
            Baroness Bianca

            On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM, <AlbredaA@...> wrote:

            > In a message dated 12/10/2009 8:45:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > ckvogel_23456@... <ckvogel_23456%40yahoo.com> writes:
            >
            > Could you explain a little more about the background / research behind the
            > three panel version. Are there exemplars of the two types? Is one a
            > regional variation of the other?
            >
            > The biggest thing folks need to know about apron-dresses is that we don't
            > have ANY extant examples - from any era, or any location. We have a few
            > fragments, and that's it!
            >
            > Personally, I LOVE this, as it gives lots of room for experimental
            > archeology. >:)
            >
            > Albreda

            Letalior Specierum! - (You wish you hit like a girl!)

            "Having heard all this you may turn away, but you can never say again you
            did not know." William Wilberforce

          • Dianna Haught
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
              Some people put in a back gore that makes their bottoms look enormous.
              Some people leave it out. The best research I've come across didn't
              have the back gore, but then, I've done minimum research. I'm told by a
              local laurel that no one really knows whether the Viking Apron should or
              shouldn't have the back gore because there isn't a complete one in
              existence and its all conjecture. The argument for no back gore comes
              from the people who believed that the apron dress evolved from the
              peplos or bog type dress (which seems as reasonable as anything to me.)
              I've seen more with the gore since I moved West of the Mississippi
              than I did east of the Miss. so the choices might be regional.
              My 2 pence, for FWIW.
              Avacyn

            • msshoshana@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
                I use the 3 panel dress. I am a very curvy larger person so the 3 panels
                works great for me. I can take in the 2 front ones in the places that need it
                so I dont have big baggy bits of fabric sticking out or if I made it
                tight, squishing my boobs flat which would make the whole thing rather
                unattractive. I have a big butt so the gore in the back helps with that curve. I
                also love that pattern as there is no waste except for a couple of little
                pieces there are taken out for the curves after I have sewn the dress together
                and tried it on inside out. I will assume this is a modern aesthetic for
                the more fitted version but who knows maybe they had busty ladies who needed
                a tuck here and there too.

                Shoshana

              • Susan Farmer
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
                  Quoting Christine Vogel <ckvogel_23456@...>:

                  > That's odd.  In Atlantia, I don't believe I've seen the three panel
                  > apron dress.  The ones I've seen here are front panel, side panel,
                  > side gores.  Thora's pattern, that someone gave a link to
                  > previously, seems to be of the two panel type.  Could you explain a
                  > little more about the background / research behind the three panel
                  > version.  Are there exemplars of the two types?  Is one a regional
                  > variation of the other?

                  I've got a couple of articles at home that I *think* discuss the
                  differences. I know I'm working on an A&S entry comparing the
                  different constructions.

                  jerusha
                  -----
                  Susan Farmer