How to make a Penner

  • Christine Vogel
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
      The topic of period tools came up on the SCA Scribes list recently.  Master Ranthulf is at it again, showing off some absolutely beautiful reproductions.  The pictures re-sparked my interest in collecting a more period illuminators kit.  The one piece I'd love to start with is a period penner (a case for quills worn on the belt, usually with an ink pot attached).  Can anyone direct me to a "how-to" for penners?  Any good research books would also be appreciated.

      Thank You - Christine of Marinus, Illuminator

    • james
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
        Christine,

        If you're in Atlantia, see if you can get up with Count Leaghrie (I'm sure I killed the named). He made a nice one a few years back. Aside from that, see if you can find someone with a copy of "Pouches in Pieces". I'm at work and forget the authors name. Anyhow, he gives a brief how to make a hardened leather case of just about the dimensions you'll need. It should be a transferable skill.

        About 1.5 cents,

        Cedric

        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Christine Vogel <ckvogel_23456@...> wrote:

        > The topic of period tools came up on the SCA Scribes list recently.  Master Ranthulf is at it again, showing off some absolutely beautiful reproductions.  The pictures re-sparked my interest in collecting a more period illuminators kit.  The one piece I'd love to start with is a period penner (a case for quills worn on the belt, usually with an ink pot attached).  Can anyone direct me to a "how-to" for penners?  Any good research books would also be appreciated.
        >
        > Thank You - Christine of Marinus, Illuminator

      • Luke Knowlton
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
          Hi All,

          Purses in Pieces is by the late Olaf Goubitz.

          Luke

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
            Aye, that's him. I looked at our copy last night and there is a decent section in the back that looks at a few case types.

            Speaking of leatherwork, I've been tempted by a project involving a leather drinking cup that appears to be glued up. Anyone know of a non-toxic glue for leather?

            Cedric

            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Luke Knowlton <lukeknowlton@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Purses in Pieces is by the late Olaf Goubitz.
            >
            > Luke

          • Dave Roland
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
              My apprentice sister made a penner. But it is utterly not period but it does pass the 5 foot test...

              Get a traveling toothbrush holder...

              Attach (glue) preferred material (leather) to it.

              INSTANT PENNER.

              I warned you it wasn't period.

              Ian the Green

              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Christine Vogel <ckvogel_23456@...> wrote:

              > The topic of period tools came up on the SCA Scribes list recently.  Master Ranthulf is at it again, showing off some absolutely beautiful reproductions.  The pictures re-sparked my interest in collecting a more period illuminators kit.  The one piece I'd love to start with is a period penner (a case for quills worn on the belt, usually with an ink pot attached).  Can anyone direct me to a "how-to" for penners?  Any good research books would also be appreciated.
              >
              > Thank You - Christine of Marinus, Illuminator

            • Andrea AskenDunn
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
                Cool! :-)
                Asther de Na Simha
                Au four et au moulin

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Ach!  That is terribly silly!  but very functional . . . hmmmm . . .

                  Now thinking . . .  Christine of Marinus