Re: SCA Library

  • Varina Suellen Plonski
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 29, 2009
      I've been doing the same thing, keeping a database of the books recommended.  That's why I forwarded the question!  I think it's a good idea to see what others feel are important resources, and in what fields of information.  I've been collecting responses from several lists I'm on, I will be happy to share as I go on.  Thanks to all of you who have responded!

      Varina Suellen Plonski     >^,,^<
      To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield

    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 29, 2009
        I've got to compile the list -- but to take this discussion in a
        slightly different direction -- what are the Must Have fiction books
        (for the SCA period) on your list?

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
        Division of Science and Math
      • Evaine ni MacGreger
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 29, 2009
          Susan Farmer wrote:

          > what are the Must Have fiction books (for
          > the SCA period) on your list?

          The Camulod Chronicles by Whyte - early period England, too early
          according to some :-)

          Lion of Ireland by Morgan Llywelyn - early period Ireland

          YIS;

          Evaine
          --
          evaine@...
          Buckston on Eno
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 29, 2009
            The Brothers of Gwynedd quartet of books (Sunrise in the West, The
            Dragon at Noonday, The Hounds of Sunset, and Afterglow and Nightfall)
            by Edith Pargeter (who also wrote the Brother Cadfael books under her
            pseudonym of Ellis Peters) and the Heaven Tree trilogy (1960s); Sharon
            Kay Penman's Medieval Welsh books and Plantagenet series; and Anya
            Seton's Katherine (about Katherine Swynford & John of Gaunt).

            And those are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head at work. *grin*

            Meli,
            Not Among the Missing, just stressed...
            :)
          • Ted Eisenstein
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 29, 2009
              >> what are the Must Have fiction books (for
              >> the SCA period) on your list?
              The Catherine Levendeur series (mysteries centered around
              a former student of Heloise, of Abelard-and-Heloise fame). The
              author's Sharan Newman.

              The Brother Cadfael bunch (Ellis (I think; I never could get the name
              right) Peters.)

              I am told the former is somewhat more historically accurate than
              the latter, but cannot confirm it by first-hand knowledge.

              ...unless you're talking about period fiction written in period or written
              well before period but enjoyed by period folk, in
              which case the usual standards - the Iliad, the Odyssey, the Aeneid,
              Beowulf, El Cid, the Romance of the Rose, you know, the usual
              suspects (which are, admittedly, sometimes more historical than
              fiction, but, still...)

              Alban
            • Laws, Amber D.
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 29, 2009
                The Lute Player by Norah Lofts.
                It is a novel about Richard the Lionhearted, Eleanor of Aquitaine, and a minstrel in their company through most of Richard's reign and while on crusade. It is full of period history, and is beautifully written.

                Eleanor de Poitiers
                Barony of the Osprey, Meridies

              • bphall76@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 29, 2009
                  The Ramsey Scallop by Frances Temple
                  The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli
                  Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman
                  The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman
                  The Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. Kelly

                  and just for the modern medievalist, Murder at the War by Mary Monica Pulver.? The setting is Pennsic.? The rest of the books are children's books but good for all that.? I can give ISBNs if needed.

                  Vasilisa Myshkina
                  Glymm Mere, An Tir

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 30, 2009
                    Very Incomplete List:

                    Marion Zimmer Bradley - Avalon Series Fantasy, but believable in a
                    medieval context.

                    Michael Jecks - Medieval Mysteries (9 that I know of)
                    There are other medieval mystery writers out there (including Ellis
                    Peters, already mentioned). This is just one I have at hand.

                    Monica Pulver - Murder at the War. (Modern fiction about a murder at
                    Pennsic - a good overview - IMHO - of the SCA and its culture.)
                    (Well, I enjoyed it ... <G>)

                    Anitra

                    On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Susan Farmer<sfarmer@...> wrote:

                    > I've got to compile the list -- but to take this discussion in a
                    > slightly different direction -- what are the Must Have fiction books
                    > (for the SCA period) on your list?
                    >
                    > jerusha
                    > -----
                    > Susan Farmer
                    > sfarmer@...
                    > Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                    > Division of Science and Math

                    "Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold
                    thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."
                    Anonymous
                  • Ann Franchi
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 30, 2009
                      I had made this list some time ago of "SCA-Related Books" from various
                      sources on the Internet.

                      As far as I know, the complete list of Mary Monica Pulver/Steffan and Kori
                      books is:

                      Murder at the War/Knight Fall (same book, different title)
                      The Unforgiving Minutes
                      Ashes to Ashes
                      Original Sin
                      Show Stopper

                      The Novice's Tale, A Sister Frevisse Medieval Mystery_
                      by Margaret Frazer (Mary Monica Pulver and a co-author

                      Deer Abbey_, four issues of the Compleat Anachronist that
                      are worth the investment. (Tales of a 15th century nunnery).

                      "All's Faire" by Pamela F. Service (juvenile)

                      _The Folk of The Air_ by Peter S. Beagle

                      Escape Velocity, by Christopher Stasheff (Warlock #1)
                      (The rest of his series are good reads, although not particularly
                      pertinent to this discussion.)

                      The
                      Ambivalent Magician, by Simon Hawke (Warner Books, 1996).

                      Anitra

                      --
                      "Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold
                      thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."
                      Anonymous
                    • Dianne Russell
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 30, 2009
                        .

                        > Monica Pulver - Murder at the War. (Modern fiction about a murder at
                        > Pennsic - a good overview - IMHO - of the SCA and its culture.)
                        > (Well, I enjoyed it ... <G>).
                        <<<<<<<<<

                        We have a hardback copy, and .Ii have found softback on eBay and given them as Christmas gift exchanges.

                        Tamara

                      • Ted Eisenstein
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 30, 2009
                          >> Monica Pulver - Murder at the War. (Modern fiction about a murder at
                          >> Pennsic - a good overview - IMHO - of the SCA and its culture.)
                          >> (Well, I enjoyed it ... <G>).
                          >We have a hardback copy, and .Ii have found softback on eBay and given
                          > them as Christmas gift exchanges.

                          I think it may still be in print, actually. Or it was a couple of months ago, when
                          I was looking to rehabilitate my long-lost bookstore....

                          Alban
                        • Coblaith Muimnech
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 30, 2009
                            Several people mentioned the fictional mystery _Murder at the War_
                            (alternately titled _Knight Fall_) as a fun S.C.A.-related read.

                            Alban commented:

                            > I think it may still be in print, actually. Or it was a couple of
                            > months ago. . .

                            It is. The publisher offers it by direct sale, and has also uploaded
                            the first chapter to the Web <http://www.ftlpublications.com/
                            matw.htm>. The site mentions it can be purchased on Amazon.com, as
                            well.

                            Coblaith Muimnech
                            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                            Kingdom of Ansteorra
                            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                            <http://coblaith.net>
                          • kathleenstonehaven
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 30, 2009
                              Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon - I loved this book. It is definitely strong in the fantasy fiction area. What I liked about it was that it showed the Arthurian legends from the female perspective.

                              Brian Jacques- Redwall series - great to read to your kids, and I liked it myself. If you want to expand your medium as well, PBS made this into a cartoon series. At the beginning and end of the episode, they showed what was happening in an embroidery like the Bayeux Tapestry and they had a living history group demonstrating various aspects of medieval life. What I liked most was that it helped me integrate my kids into the SCA, which is hard to do.

                              Kathleen of Stonehaven, recently of Calontir and now on a long pilgrimage in the Artemesian Lands.
                            • Susan Farmer
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 30, 2009
                                Quoting Ann Franchi <AnitraF@...>:

                                *snip*

                                > Deer Abbey_, four issues of the Compleat Anachronist that
                                > are worth the investment. (Tales of a 15th century nunnery).

                                I have wished that she'd turn those 4 CAs into a Full Length Book!

                                jerusha
                                -----
                              • geccoeert@earthlink.net
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 1 10:23 AM
                                  For those with an interest in Asia in period-I recommend the Judge Dee mysteries by the late Dr Robert van Gulick. Van Gulick was a Dutch diplomat and China expert. His novels are based on Chinese accounts of the cases and exploits of the very real Judge Dee-a Tang dynasty magistrate. Each novel usually comes with an appendix explaining some period feature of the novel, by no references-dang it. One mystery (The Haunted Monastery was made into a TV movie in the early 80's). I believe the exploits of Judge Dee are still popular reading in modern China. These are out of print, but copies can be found in second hand bookstores and on line (Alibris and other sites)

                                  For Japan, the Tales of the Otori novels by Lian Hearn (across the Nightingale Floor, Grass for His Pillow, etc.) I've just started reading these and they are quite good. Ms Hearn has put a lot of effort into gaining an understanding of Japanese culture. Time period is just before the arrival of the Portuguese.

                                  There is also a mystery novel called Of Death and Black Rivers, by Ann Woodward, set in Heian era Japan.

                                  There is a series of late Heian (11th Century) mysteries by I J (Ingrid J) Parker. Titles include: The Hell Screen, Rashoman Gate.

                                  On more European topics-Christopher Stashef also mentions the SCA in at least one of his Wizard in Rhyme novels-specifically The Witch Doctor. This series is a very good read-though set in an alternate Europe. Series starts with Her Majesty's Wizard.

                                  YIS
                                  Miyamoto no Akikonomu (aka Farida al Hadiati)