Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] seeking feedback

  • Loralei
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
      I dont recall if they have specifically for barbie/ Ken but there are some great patterns here ( free) and you can use the calculations and merely measure the bear/toy/barbie and you have it....

      http://www.angelfire.com/planet/mcshelpsite/sewingstuff/freepatterns.html
       And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
        On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Loralei<loraleiriney@...> wrote:

        > I dont recall if they have specifically for barbie/ Ken but there are some
        > great patterns here ( free) and you can use the calculations and merely
        > measure the bear/toy/barbie and you have it....
        >
        > http://www.angelfire.com/planet/mcshelpsite/sewingstuff/freepatterns.html

        Thanks! I'll check them out.

        >  And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt
        > and call me over

        So much better than lemonade. Unless it's Mike's Hard ..... <G>

        Anitra

        > ________________________________

      • Natasha
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
          This post is very interesting because I have patterns for period garb for
          Barbie and Ken. I use to collect Barbies and sold most of them off but I
          still have about 50 of them. A number have been dressed in period garb.

          Tasha
          Has anyone come up with patterns for Barbie (and Ken) garb?

          Anitra
        • Elewyiss the Jew
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
            Are you willing to share your patterns? I have always wanted to make period
            Barbie cloths.

            Elewyiss

            On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Natasha <tashavs@...> wrote:

            > This post is very interesting because I have patterns for period garb for
            > Barbie and Ken. I use to collect Barbies and sold most of them off but I
            > still have about 50 of them. A number have been dressed in period garb.
            >
            > Tasha

            Ro'eh Hatulim

          • Cynthia Myers Haggerty
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
              o, o, I hope you are willling to share, I'd like to get them. I am working on becoming our barony's Chancellor of Youth and was htinking about stuff for the kids. That'd be PERFECT!

              Sincerely,
              jacintha of Highland Foorde

              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Natasha" <tashavs@...> wrote:

              > This post is very interesting because I have patterns for period garb for
              > Barbie and Ken.
            • Natasha
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                I would be happy to share Elewyiss. Send me your name and address and I will mail what I have to you.

                Natasha

                Are you willing to share your patterns? I have always wanted to make period
                Barbie cloths.

                Elewyiss

                Recent Activity
                Visit Your Group
                Yahoo! News
                Fashion News

                What's the word on

                fashion and style?

                Share Photos
                Put your favorite

                photos and

                more online.

                Yahoo! Groups
                Mom Power

                Just for moms

                Join the discussion
                .

              • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                  MOst of the period patterns I found on line were for the 18" or American girl dolls but here's one with a Period pattern for Barbie and possibly ken.

                  http://www.thefind.com/apparel/info-fashion-doll-clothing-pattern

                  BASed on a very quick serch a lot of the costume patterns for children or dolls could be re-sized to work on Teddy Bears.

                  Chagan

                  o, o, I hope you are willling to share, I'd like to get them. I am working on becoming our barony's Chancellor of Youth and was htinking about stuff for the kids. That'd be PERFECT!

                  Sincerely,
                  jacintha of Highland Foorde

                  --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Natasha" <tashavs@...> wrote:

                  > This post is very interesting because I have patterns for period garb for
                  > Barbie and Ken.

                • Susan Farmer
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                    Gotta love yahoo -- the original post hasn't shown up yet. If you
                    look for out of print patterns (and I'll dig up the pattern numbers if
                    anybody wants) McCalls and Simplicity had some period patterns for
                    Barbie -- but I don't remember any for Ken unless they're way older
                    than the last 20 years or so.

                    I *think* that Lynn McMasters may have one too -- and there's a doll
                    costuming group here on yahoo (whose name slips my mind at the moment)

                    jerusha
                    -----
                    Susan Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                    Division of Science and Math
                  • Natasha
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                      I will be happy to make copies of what I have and send them to you. Send me your name and address. I do not think they will scan - well maybe I can try and see what happens.

                      When working with children it is easier to use felt for costumes. However, it is possible to teach them hand sewing on regular fabric if you have the time and patience.

                      Tasha

                    • Elewyiss the Jew
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                        When you say it's easier to use felt, do you mean if the children are
                        sewing, or if you are sewing. Because I have to admit I don't have much luck
                        with felt. But I can make hats for your D&D mini's.

                        Elewyiss

                        On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Natasha <tashavs@...> wrote:

                        > I will be happy to make copies of what I have and send them to you. Send me
                        > your name and address. I do not think they will scan - well maybe I can try
                        > and see what happens.
                        >
                        > When working with children it is easier to use felt for costumes. However,
                        > it is possible to teach them hand sewing on regular fabric if you have the
                        > time and patience.
                        >
                        > Tasha

                        Ro'eh Hatulim

                      • Natasha
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 8, 2009
                          No I meant for the children who are just learning how to sew. Give them a simple pattern and show them how to use the overcast edge. Felt eliminates hems and doesn't fray. Granted the garments will be bulky and a little crude looking but I found that the children seldom care because it is something that they did themselves. Trims and decorations can be glued on. Once they get going and show an interest you can introduce them to regular fabric and sewing seams.

                          Natasha

                        • Coblaith Muimnech
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 8, 2009
                            Tasha wrote (of making clothes for dolls):
                            > When working with children it is easier to use felt for costumes.

                            and later:
                            > . . .Give them a simple pattern and show them how to use the
                            > overcast edge. Felt eliminates hems and doesn't fray. Granted the
                            > garments will be bulky and a little crude looking but I found that
                            > the children seldom care because it is something that they did
                            > themselves. Trims and decorations can be glued on. Once they get
                            > going and show an interest you can introduce them to regular fabric
                            > and sewing seams.

                            When I do kids' classes, I try to give them materials as close to the
                            real thing as possible. There are a number of reasons; three biggies
                            are (1) that most people are most comfortable working with what
                            they're accustomed to using, so by making their first experiences
                            authentic I make it more likely that they'll make authentic choices
                            in future, (2) if they learn the skills and tricks particular to and
                            develop instincts and expectations based on their experiences with
                            authentic materials, they won't have anything to unlearn when they
                            pick them up later, and (3) if they finish the project, in class or
                            at home afterward, they have something they can use at events that
                            "belongs" in the Middle Ages or Renaissance. (Of course, in this
                            case that will only apply if they're dressing plausible dolls, rather
                            than Ken and Barbie.)

                            Felt has its advantages, but working with it is very different from
                            working with woven fabric. You have to cut and handle it
                            differently, and (as Tasha mentioned) the finished product hangs and
                            drapes very differently. Woven wool that has been fulled, on the
                            other hand, also doesn't fray, and it was used for clothing in period
                            (like the Boksten tunic <http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/
                            garments/bocksten/bocksten.html>, for instance). You can seam it
                            right-sides-together using an overcast or running stitch (or a
                            variety of other documented stitches <http://heatherrosejones.com/
                            archaeologicalsewing/wool.html>) without making your seams
                            excessively bulky. And you end up with something that looks like a
                            real medieval kid might have made it from scraps around the house.

                            Woven wool is also cheaper than wool felt, and more likely to be
                            available for free in the form of scraps from grown-up SCAdians'
                            clothes- and accessories-making projects. If it's not already fulled
                            when you get it, running it through the washing machine with a hot
                            wash and cold rinse is usually sufficient.

                            Coblaith Muimnech
                            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                            Kingdom of Ansteorra
                            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                            <http://coblaith.net>
                          • Elewyiss the Jew
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 8, 2009
                              Ooooo! that is so cool. I'm going to add it to my "I'm gonna be an
                              elementary school teacher Dang it!" box. Thank you.

                              E.

                              On 7/8/09, Natasha <tashavs@...> wrote:

                              > No I meant for the children who are just learning how to sew. Give them a
                              > simple pattern and show them how to use the overcast edge. Felt eliminates
                              > hems and doesn't fray. Granted the garments will be bulky and a little crude
                              > looking but I found that the children seldom care because it is something
                              > that they did themselves. Trims and decorations can be glued on. Once they
                              > get going and show an interest you can introduce them to regular fabric and
                              > sewing seams.
                              >
                              > Natasha

                              Ro'eh Hatulim