Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] seeking feedback

  • Ann Franchi
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
      Has anyone come up with patterns for Barbie (and Ken) garb?

      Anitra

      On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Kihe Blackeagle<KiheBard@...> wrote:

      > Bebinn, might I suggest a separate category for "Barbie"-type fashion dolls and/or Oriental ball-jointed dolls (perhaps extending to include artist's armatures)?
      >

      > I'm suggesting this as _separate_ as I believe the skills & execution are significantly enough different in clothing over plush as opposed to "hard surface" that they represent recognizably import distinctions.
      >
      > Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe
      >
      > Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle
      > Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
      > SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
      > "Other": Reverend Kihe Blackeagle PULC (the DreamSinger Bard)
      > alt. e-mail: KiheBard@...
      > Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
      > http://www.livejournal.com/users/kihebard/
      >

      >> To: AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com
      >> From: been2bali@...
      >> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:44:49 +0000
      >> Subject: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] seeking feedback
      >>
      >> Greetings Gentles of the Challenge Community,
      >>
      >> I am Bebinn, A&S minister for the College of Brymstonne, Kingdom of Atenveldt. Each year our small group presents an event known as Chocolate Revel. It is our big event of the year and has a reputation for good food, good fun, being family friendly, and lots of chocolate. We include A&S competitions in various categories for youth through adults. This year I would like to try something new..... a garb-a-bear competition. It would be something like this, select a stuffed animal of your choice, most obvious being a bear, and create garb for the bear/animal that would replicate period clothing. We would have a judges choice and a viewers choice to select winners.
      >>
      >> What I am asking of all of you, seeing that this group covers so many parts of the Known World, is if your groups have ever done an activity such as this and what recommendations would you offer up based on your experiences? Even if your groups haven't done something like this, do you have any ideas/recommendations/warnings regarding this sort of activity? I would most likely have three levels of competition - adult, youth, child - to offer our younger gentles a chance to be included in the activity.
      >>
      >> Your responses are most appreciated even if I can't reply to each of you individually. Thank you for your indulgence and time. [Those list members in Atenveldt, please don't spill the beans until the contest is officially posted :)]
      >>
      >> in service,
      >> Bebinn ingen Domnaill

      "Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold
      thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."
      Anonymous
    • Loralei
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
        I dont recall if they have specifically for barbie/ Ken but there are some great patterns here ( free) and you can use the calculations and merely measure the bear/toy/barbie and you have it....

        http://www.angelfire.com/planet/mcshelpsite/sewingstuff/freepatterns.html
         And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
          On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Loralei<loraleiriney@...> wrote:

          > I dont recall if they have specifically for barbie/ Ken but there are some
          > great patterns here ( free) and you can use the calculations and merely
          > measure the bear/toy/barbie and you have it....
          >
          > http://www.angelfire.com/planet/mcshelpsite/sewingstuff/freepatterns.html

          Thanks! I'll check them out.

          >  And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt
          > and call me over

          So much better than lemonade. Unless it's Mike's Hard ..... <G>

          Anitra

          > ________________________________

        • Natasha
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
            This post is very interesting because I have patterns for period garb for
            Barbie and Ken. I use to collect Barbies and sold most of them off but I
            still have about 50 of them. A number have been dressed in period garb.

            Tasha
            Has anyone come up with patterns for Barbie (and Ken) garb?

            Anitra
          • Elewyiss the Jew
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
              Are you willing to share your patterns? I have always wanted to make period
              Barbie cloths.

              Elewyiss

              On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Natasha <tashavs@...> wrote:

              > This post is very interesting because I have patterns for period garb for
              > Barbie and Ken. I use to collect Barbies and sold most of them off but I
              > still have about 50 of them. A number have been dressed in period garb.
              >
              > Tasha

              Ro'eh Hatulim

            • Cynthia Myers Haggerty
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                o, o, I hope you are willling to share, I'd like to get them. I am working on becoming our barony's Chancellor of Youth and was htinking about stuff for the kids. That'd be PERFECT!

                Sincerely,
                jacintha of Highland Foorde

                --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Natasha" <tashavs@...> wrote:

                > This post is very interesting because I have patterns for period garb for
                > Barbie and Ken.
              • Natasha
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                  I would be happy to share Elewyiss. Send me your name and address and I will mail what I have to you.

                  Natasha

                  Are you willing to share your patterns? I have always wanted to make period
                  Barbie cloths.

                  Elewyiss

                  Recent Activity
                  Visit Your Group
                  Yahoo! News
                  Fashion News

                  What's the word on

                  fashion and style?

                  Share Photos
                  Put your favorite

                  photos and

                  more online.

                  Yahoo! Groups
                  Mom Power

                  Just for moms

                  Join the discussion
                  .

                • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                    MOst of the period patterns I found on line were for the 18" or American girl dolls but here's one with a Period pattern for Barbie and possibly ken.

                    http://www.thefind.com/apparel/info-fashion-doll-clothing-pattern

                    BASed on a very quick serch a lot of the costume patterns for children or dolls could be re-sized to work on Teddy Bears.

                    Chagan

                    o, o, I hope you are willling to share, I'd like to get them. I am working on becoming our barony's Chancellor of Youth and was htinking about stuff for the kids. That'd be PERFECT!

                    Sincerely,
                    jacintha of Highland Foorde

                    --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Natasha" <tashavs@...> wrote:

                    > This post is very interesting because I have patterns for period garb for
                    > Barbie and Ken.

                  • Susan Farmer
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                      Gotta love yahoo -- the original post hasn't shown up yet. If you
                      look for out of print patterns (and I'll dig up the pattern numbers if
                      anybody wants) McCalls and Simplicity had some period patterns for
                      Barbie -- but I don't remember any for Ken unless they're way older
                      than the last 20 years or so.

                      I *think* that Lynn McMasters may have one too -- and there's a doll
                      costuming group here on yahoo (whose name slips my mind at the moment)

                      jerusha
                      -----
                      Susan Farmer
                      sfarmer@...
                      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                      Division of Science and Math
                    • Natasha
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                        I will be happy to make copies of what I have and send them to you. Send me your name and address. I do not think they will scan - well maybe I can try and see what happens.

                        When working with children it is easier to use felt for costumes. However, it is possible to teach them hand sewing on regular fabric if you have the time and patience.

                        Tasha

                      • Elewyiss the Jew
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                          When you say it's easier to use felt, do you mean if the children are
                          sewing, or if you are sewing. Because I have to admit I don't have much luck
                          with felt. But I can make hats for your D&D mini's.

                          Elewyiss

                          On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Natasha <tashavs@...> wrote:

                          > I will be happy to make copies of what I have and send them to you. Send me
                          > your name and address. I do not think they will scan - well maybe I can try
                          > and see what happens.
                          >
                          > When working with children it is easier to use felt for costumes. However,
                          > it is possible to teach them hand sewing on regular fabric if you have the
                          > time and patience.
                          >
                          > Tasha

                          Ro'eh Hatulim

                        • Natasha
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 8, 2009
                            No I meant for the children who are just learning how to sew. Give them a simple pattern and show them how to use the overcast edge. Felt eliminates hems and doesn't fray. Granted the garments will be bulky and a little crude looking but I found that the children seldom care because it is something that they did themselves. Trims and decorations can be glued on. Once they get going and show an interest you can introduce them to regular fabric and sewing seams.

                            Natasha

                          • Coblaith Muimnech
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 8, 2009
                              Tasha wrote (of making clothes for dolls):
                              > When working with children it is easier to use felt for costumes.

                              and later:
                              > . . .Give them a simple pattern and show them how to use the
                              > overcast edge. Felt eliminates hems and doesn't fray. Granted the
                              > garments will be bulky and a little crude looking but I found that
                              > the children seldom care because it is something that they did
                              > themselves. Trims and decorations can be glued on. Once they get
                              > going and show an interest you can introduce them to regular fabric
                              > and sewing seams.

                              When I do kids' classes, I try to give them materials as close to the
                              real thing as possible. There are a number of reasons; three biggies
                              are (1) that most people are most comfortable working with what
                              they're accustomed to using, so by making their first experiences
                              authentic I make it more likely that they'll make authentic choices
                              in future, (2) if they learn the skills and tricks particular to and
                              develop instincts and expectations based on their experiences with
                              authentic materials, they won't have anything to unlearn when they
                              pick them up later, and (3) if they finish the project, in class or
                              at home afterward, they have something they can use at events that
                              "belongs" in the Middle Ages or Renaissance. (Of course, in this
                              case that will only apply if they're dressing plausible dolls, rather
                              than Ken and Barbie.)

                              Felt has its advantages, but working with it is very different from
                              working with woven fabric. You have to cut and handle it
                              differently, and (as Tasha mentioned) the finished product hangs and
                              drapes very differently. Woven wool that has been fulled, on the
                              other hand, also doesn't fray, and it was used for clothing in period
                              (like the Boksten tunic <http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/
                              garments/bocksten/bocksten.html>, for instance). You can seam it
                              right-sides-together using an overcast or running stitch (or a
                              variety of other documented stitches <http://heatherrosejones.com/
                              archaeologicalsewing/wool.html>) without making your seams
                              excessively bulky. And you end up with something that looks like a
                              real medieval kid might have made it from scraps around the house.

                              Woven wool is also cheaper than wool felt, and more likely to be
                              available for free in the form of scraps from grown-up SCAdians'
                              clothes- and accessories-making projects. If it's not already fulled
                              when you get it, running it through the washing machine with a hot
                              wash and cold rinse is usually sufficient.

                              Coblaith Muimnech
                              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                              Kingdom of Ansteorra
                              <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                              <http://coblaith.net>
                            • Elewyiss the Jew
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 8, 2009
                                Ooooo! that is so cool. I'm going to add it to my "I'm gonna be an
                                elementary school teacher Dang it!" box. Thank you.

                                E.

                                On 7/8/09, Natasha <tashavs@...> wrote:

                                > No I meant for the children who are just learning how to sew. Give them a
                                > simple pattern and show them how to use the overcast edge. Felt eliminates
                                > hems and doesn't fray. Granted the garments will be bulky and a little crude
                                > looking but I found that the children seldom care because it is something
                                > that they did themselves. Trims and decorations can be glued on. Once they
                                > get going and show an interest you can introduce them to regular fabric and
                                > sewing seams.
                                >
                                > Natasha

                                Ro'eh Hatulim